Townsend, Tennessee - Great Smoky Mountains National Park

Welcome to the Fishing Report.  Everything in the forest where we live is dripping wet.  The ground is soaked.  Our rain gauge indicated only 1/10th of an inch of precipitation during the past 24 hours at the shop.  The Airport reported .81 inches.  The rain missed us but the wind did not.  We could see what appeared to be a tornado trying to form in the mountains yesterday afternoon.  A dark cloud was extending down to the mountain tops at times.  The wind here was incredible.  When I got here this morning, Josh and Ethan were in the parking lot.  They were going fishing in the Park.

Little River is full of water.  Evidently the mountains had more rain yesterday than we did.  Flow is 658 cubic feet per second (cfs).  Median flow for this date is 317.  Little River is flowing at double the norm.  The water is fairly clear, maybe a little off color.

Fishing will be pretty good today compared to normal winter fishing.  You should be careful wading.  The current is strong and impossible to wade in some spots.  I would use large nymphs fished deep.  Maybe a streamer would work.  Ethan and Josh are going to be fishing for large brown trout.  They have caught some nice ones this year.  I think they have both scored a 24” to 26” fish in Little River.  Those are wild browns.  I could be wrong about the size of the trout they have been catching.  I’m sure they will correct me if I am.  Today is a good day to do what they are doing. I would stay close to the bank.

We have an 80% chance for snow tonight and a 20% chance tomorrow.  We are under a Winter Weather Advisory and a Wind Advisory.  It is going to be cold at night for a few days.  Expect temperatures to dip into the low 20’s.  The high tomorrow is supposed to be 34 degrees.  It is time to get out the Ice Melt.  I have several hundred pounds of the stuff in the storage room.  I bought this shipment last year and it never snowed again.

Walter Babb will be tying at the store on Saturday between 10:00 am and 2:00 pm.  This event is special.  Walter is one of my best friends so maybe I am partial.  Since I moved here 20 years ago people told me Walter was the best small stream fisherman around.  And, he is an unbelievable fly tyer.  His knowledge about the history of fly fishing, bamboo rod making and fly tying goes far beyond anyone I know.  Like I said, Saturday is going to be special.

Yesterday morning I was thinking about getting more people to show up here and support Walter.  He will be tying in the classroom.  So, I decided to design an e-mail piece and send it out to our e-mail list which includes thousands of people.  I think they would want to know.  I also listed our lineup of tyers for each Saturday including David Knapp who will be tying on a Sunday. 

I spent about 3 hours on the total project.  The e-mail piece is designed in html code, just like a web page.  This one was simple.  I had large blue buttons so people who check their e-mail on a mobile device could easily touch the link to our fly tying classes.  When this e-mail reaches you, the code instructs your device to pull the images and text from our host server in Washington, DC.  This takes a second or two.  When you get this e-mail you can also open a web version in a browser and save it as a favorite.  Below is a small screen shot of the e-mail many of you around the world received.

If you did not get it there could be several reasons. First, you may not have signed up in the box at the bottom of this page to receive our notices.  Or, your spam filter could have rejected it.  We ran a spam test on this e-mail before it went out.  It was rated as “0”, the best rating we have received so far. Maybe your e-mail address has changed.  A non-active e-mail causes a bounce. Those of you who are reading this report can see the small version.  If you do not receive our e-mails please sign up below.  All you have to do is type in your e-mail address.  You can also opt-out any time you want our messages to stop coming to you.  But, if you don’t subscribe, you won’t know what is going on here.  You might miss something important.

I hope lots of people show up here Saturday morning to be with Walter.  Everyone, including him will be glad you did.

Have a great day and thank you for being here with us.

Byron Begley
January 12, 2012

Respond to: byron@littleriveroutfitters.com


Home - Contact Us - About Us - Fishing Report - Online Catalog - Message Board - Sitemap