Townsend, Tennessee - Great Smoky Mountains National Park

Welcome to the Fishing Report.  It is sunny and already warm.  “It’s hotter than 4th of July Weekend”.  It is 4th of July weekend.  There are plenty of cars and trucks on the roads.  People are jogging, walking and bicycling around town, even at 7:30 am.  You can tell we have plenty of visitors here right now.  Resort towns like ours ebb and flow at the whim of our tourists.  It’s not rocket science trying to predict heavy visitation.  I can tell you for sure, Tuesday will be deader than a door nail.  And I’m going fishing on Wednesday.

Little River is low.  Flow is currently 74 cubic feet per second.  Median flow for this date is 130 cfs.  What a difference a week makes.  One weather website predicts a 30% chance for rain today and 60% tomorrow.  The more conservative site gives the odds at 20/50.  I’ll say we have a 40% chance today and a 70% chance tomorrow.  We’ll see who gets closer to the actual outcome.  I also predict I have a 50% chance for winning this one.

Fishing is good.  Believe it or not, even with the warm temperatures and low water it’s good.  Josh Pfeifer took a client fishing in a low elevation prong of Little River yesterday.  Of course, he is an excellent guide and the client is an excellent fisherman.  They did very will.  The fly of choice was an ant.  They caught them on a dang ant!

So, terrestrials are what I would use today.  Have you noticed I’m easily persuaded from the usual Yellow Sally patterns?  I would use an ant today.  Backup would be a beetle or Green Weenie.  In the evening I would switch to a Yellow Sally stonefly pattern if I did not make the change earlier in the day. 

You are going to encounter swimmers, tubers and rock skippers on the main rivers.  Go to the backcountry for solitude and lots of shade.  I told a regular customer yesterday about Fish Camp Prong.  That is one of my favorite streams.  It’s a four mile hike to get to the mouth but worth it.  Coming home is downhill all the way. 

Bill Guinn is busy as Chairman of Troutfest.  He is doing a lot of stuff that I would be doing right now. I served for three years.  The last year was by default.  Nobody took the job so I just did it.  But I appointed Bill as Chair for 2012 and our committee voted an enthusiastic YES.  He is doing an excellent job.  He is a born leader, very smart and a stickler for detail.  Rufus King is still President of the Little River Chapter of TU.  Troutfest is a Chapter event.  So, he stays involved in Troutfest too.  He is involved in every move and has been for the past three years.  I could not have handled the Chair job without Rufus and about 22 other fine people on our committee.

Troutfest will be held the third weekend of May.  The dates are May 18th, 19th and 20th 2012.  In 2013 Troutfest will move to the last weekend in April.  That will be our permanent date.  We have the Visitors Center blocked off for that weekend each year thereafter.

Paula and Daniel are off today.  Ethan, Chuck and Glenn are on.  I’ll be receiving a Wapsi order.  I am doing more of the buying now.  Over the past two days I’ve been learning how to use the Orvis ordering software.  It’s cool!  I sent an order off to them yesterday. 

I am hoping and praying that a half million dollar order does not show up later this week.  I guess if that happened they wouldn’t ship by UPS.  I would probably look out in the parking lot and see a big truck from Roanoke with ORVIS graphics wrapped around the trailer portion.  I would probably get a thank you call from Robert and Bill at Orvis.  Who knows, maybe David and Perk Perkins would call.  Please don’t let that happen.

Have a great day and thank you for being here with us.

Byron Begley
July 3, 2011 

Respond to: Byron@LittleRiverOutfitters.com


FLY FISHING CLASSES

Our fly fishing classes will be offered from March to October 2011.   To sign up just call the shop at 877-448-3474.  You can read more on our website in the Schools Section.  The fly fishing class schedule follows:

Saturday May 21 – Beginner Day One
Sunday May 22 – Beginner Onstream Day Two
Saturday June 11 – Beginner Day One
Saturday June 25 – Beginner Day One
Sunday June 26 – Beginner Onstream Day Two
Saturday July 9 – Beginner Day One
Saturday July 23 – Beginner Day One
Sunday July 24 – Beginner Onstream Day Two
Saturday September 10 – Beginner Day One
Saturday September 24 – Beginner Day One
Sunday September 25 – Beginner Onstream Day Two
Saturday October 8 – Beginner Day One
Saturday October 22 – Beginner Day One
Sunday October 23 – Beginner Onstream Day Two

Respond to: byron@littleriveroutfitters.com


Home - Contact Us - About Us - Fishing Report - Online Catalog - Message Board - Sitemap