Townsend, Tennessee - Great Smoky Mountains National Park

Welcome to the Fishing Report.  It is 50 degrees this morning in Townsend and colder than that in Great Smoky Mountains National Park.  It feels like Fall.  A blanket of fog covers our valley.  There is some early morning traffic due to the holiday.

Little River is flowing slowly but the water looks great.  Flow is currently 44 cubic feet per second (cfs).  Median flow for this date based on 44 years of data is 99 cfs.  Listen to this!  The water temperature in town is 64 degrees.  We have not seen the temperature that low in a long time.  Imagine what it’s like at Elkmont this morning.  The air is probably in the mid to upper 40’s.  Campers are probably standing close to their campfires.  I bet the East Prong of Little River is around 60 degrees, maybe cooler.  I wish I was camping there.  Well, maybe not.  It’s probably too crowded for me right now.

Fishing should be good due to the cold snap.  The water is still low so presentation, stealth and getting a good drift are most important.  The trout are trying to hide from predators, like “your bad self.”  I think they will take about any reasonable dry fly or nymph.  I would use a beetle for the dry and a Green Weenie as the dropper.  Glenn fished the Middle Prong of Little River yesterday and did very well using a Weenie.

With the fishing picking up we’ll see more fishermen over the next few days.  We’ve been busy here all of a sudden.  Yesterday was a good one. 

Yesterday was crazy in town.  I have not seen that much traffic in a while.  Unfortunately, due to the tourist density, accidents happen.  Someone crashed a bicycle about a block from the shop.  Police, first responders then an ambulance were on the scene for a long time.  Traffic was slow moving as people tried to enter the main highway from  the shopping center next door.  I don’t know the outcome of that one. 

Another serious motorcycle accident occurred at the edge of town toward Maryville.  Evidently a couple on a motorcycle just wrecked.  It was a one vehicle accident.  Both were flown by helicopter to the University of Tennessee Medical Center.  Both suffered head trauma. 

Hopefully we can get through the day, today without anyone getting hurt.

I’m meeting with the Mayor at 10:00 so I better get ready for that. 

Have a great day and thank you for being here with us.

Byron Begley
September 5, 2010

Respond to:  

Home - Contact Us - About Us - Fishing Report - Online Catalog - Message Board - Sitemap