PDA

View Full Version : Detailed maps of the park and surrounding areas

guerillafish
03-04-2008, 01:30 PM
Folks, I read the threads and recognize the names of the places, but other than the map I have of the park from the visitor's center, is there a good map that I can get that would be more informative and have better details? Thanks in advance for your time.

TB

buzzmcmanus
03-04-2008, 01:37 PM
I think it's National Geographic that has a large double sided waterproof one. I have one for the park, one for Big South Fork and one for South Cherokee National Forest. They're at home, but I think that's who puts it out. They are about $10 and I get them at Gander Mountain, however, LRO may carry the one for the park.

Buzz

buzzmcmanus
03-04-2008, 03:03 PM
Hope I'm not steping on any toes, but here is a link to their web site.

http://shop.nationalgeographic.com/gateway/392/246.html

If LRO carries it, they have free shipping.

Paula Begley
03-04-2008, 03:12 PM
Thanks, Buzz. We do carry the National Geographic maps...we have the Smokies and all of the surrounding area maps as well.

Paula

sammcdonald
03-04-2008, 06:32 PM
that "free" map is not designed to give y0u hiking or driving info..it is a souvenir.......and the best map is #229 from national geographic. by the way, there is a new flyer from the park...cades cove and you.....i love it! i spells out the what not to do items, and then tells you enforcement will be forthcoming for vioilations. about time!

Byron Begley
03-04-2008, 08:28 PM
Sam,

I can't wait to get some of those brochures and handle significant distribution. Like you said, It's about time.

Byron

guerillafish
03-06-2008, 10:35 AM
Thanks folks. Next time I'm up there I'll stop in LRO and get me one.

highpockets
03-06-2008, 12:04 PM
here's one I pick around on quite often.

http://www.lib.utexas.edu/maps/national_parks/great_smoky_park99.pdf

eastprong
03-08-2008, 01:03 PM
Earthwalk Press makes a very nice Smokies Map, also on waterproof paper. It's a bit more stylized than the National Geographic, but I think it's easier to read and its contours are in feet, not meters:

http://www.omnimap.com/catalog/cats/earthwal.htm

--Rich

mtnman2888
03-08-2008, 01:35 PM
Here is a map i use, it's a trail map in a pdf file.

http://www.smokyoutdoors.com/Map_of_smokies.pdf?PHPSESSID=ac7443359f7ab83056527 fdcd19fadb9

Craig

Flyfishjeep
03-08-2008, 04:40 PM
Sam,
I like the map from Nat. Geo #229. I like that it gives you good elevation detail.
Does anybody know which map gives good description of the hiking trails and campsites?
Thanks for the help.

sammcdonald
03-08-2008, 08:04 PM
that actually would be the book...hiking the smokies....uses the trail map with a narrative and elevation grid for every maintained trail in the park....also the trail map has locations of all back country campsites....book is written by people who have done the trails and is published by the association---shameless plug coming....available at all park stores.

nvr2L8
03-08-2008, 11:54 PM
Is this book available at LRO or just at the park stores?

PeteCz
03-09-2008, 01:08 AM
I believe the book is sold in more places than just the Smokies Bookstore, but I'm not sure if its at LRO. I think I got mine at LRTC here in Maryville (but I could be wrong).

Regardless, the book is a "must-have" if you do any hiking or are scouting for fishing/camping spots. Its a great companion to the the Trails Illustrated map of the Smokies.

From cross referencing the book and the map I have put together an excel spreadsheet listing out the 46 backcountry campsites that are close to a stream that could be fished (theoretically). There are a few sites that might not have fishable water and I may have missed one or two, but the book and the map combined have provided much of the input (with some cross reference to Don Kirk's book as well)

Here is what the spreadsheet looks like:
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3285/2320468814_bb6909abbc.jpg

Pretty geeky, I know...Hi, my name's Pete and I'm a Mapaholic...
:rolleyes:

BlueRaiderFan
03-09-2008, 10:49 AM
Man, too bad you can't cut and paste your spreedsheet on here.

mtnman2888
03-09-2008, 03:03 PM
That is awesome pete! I wish i had the time to do something like that. Looks like it would come in extremely handy without having to search through books and/or maps.

Craig

PeteCz
03-09-2008, 05:52 PM
Craig and BRF, if you would like a copy, send me an e-mail and I'll send it back to you. I'm at petecz at charter.net

nvr2L8
03-09-2008, 08:11 PM
Send me a copy, Pete.

Thanks.

Indianapolis Fisherman
03-11-2008, 12:09 AM
Yes, the national geographic map is great although I’ve found that the $1 visitor’s center map is just fine for navigating the trails. If you are going to do a lot of backcountry hiking, I recommend the book, “Hiking Trails of the Smokies”. It has wonderful written descriptions of every trail in the park. The info is very entertaining and practical. I don’t know whether they sell it at LRO. I know that you can get it at the park’s visitor centers. You can also get it online: find the park’s website, click “support your park” and click “bookstore“.

guerillafish
03-13-2008, 04:30 PM
Craig and BRF, if you would like a copy, send me an e-mail and I'll send it back to you. I'm at petecz at charter.net

Pete, if you don't mind would you be willing to send me a copy as well? Thanks.

TB

PeteCz
03-13-2008, 10:57 PM
TB, the file should be in your e-mail...

JoeFred
05-14-2009, 12:33 AM
With some time on my hands I've begun creating 11x17 PDF general reference maps of each of the river systems within the park. For backcountry outings such should only be used in conjunction with the official trails map and other detail information available through the park service, LRO, etc.

I'd really appreciate anyone's thoughts on the prelim of the Little River system (http://www.smokystreams.com/downloads/assets/littleriver_basic.jpg) .

Thanks, JF

mtnman2888
05-14-2009, 09:27 AM
That is impressive. Once finished, that will be one heck of a detailed map. The up close view of the topo lines will prove to be especially useful. I think you are doing a fantastic job.

What program did you create that with?

JoeFred
05-14-2009, 09:34 AM
Thanks, Craig.

Adobe Illustrator and Acrobat.

ACinEastTN
05-14-2009, 09:51 AM
Really Looks Great!!

mtnman2888
05-14-2009, 12:49 PM
See i have illustrator but i am nowhere near that good with it to recreate a map. You definitely have an extremely nice piece you are working on.

Like i said earlier, the zoomed up shot of how the topo lines relate to the streambed and surrounding areas would provide the most help for me.

JoeFred
05-14-2009, 01:21 PM
Yeah, I will add more contours and detail at the stream intersects. Thanks for the tip.

Brook Fan
05-14-2009, 07:38 PM
Looking good.
I like the river system only instead of the full park. Your able to focus in own more detail especially the smaller streams.

kytroutman
05-14-2009, 08:18 PM
If you could figure out how to print it on waterproof paper, it would be perfect.

Stonefly
05-14-2009, 08:27 PM
So JoeFred, are you going to make this available in some form? Looks like it could be a money-maker

sb

JoeFred
05-15-2009, 10:04 AM
If you could figure out how to print it on waterproof paper, it would be perfect.

A key objective was to limit the sizes to 11x7 so user could print at Office Depot, etc. Could be laminated there, but folding might be tricky.

JoeFred
05-15-2009, 10:21 AM
So JoeFred, are you going to make this available in some form? Looks like it could be a money-maker

sb

Thanks, sb. Right now plan is to make them free downloads from a web site (http://www.smokystreams.com). The site would someday feature photos of stream features and adjacent flora, current protection status, historical tidbits, etc., and..... advertising. :redface:

mora521
05-16-2009, 07:58 AM
For serious use get the quads.The National Geographic map for example has Marks Creek on the wrong side of the falls,and if you do any bushwhackin' the extra detail and more realistic contour lines really help.I don't camp at the designated campsites much anymore and the quads are necessary for real backcountry trips.

Nharrier
05-16-2009, 02:32 PM
Nice work and it displays your love of these incredible mountains and flyfishing.
For the garmin junkies, the 76csx and probably newer models allows for a media card which you can load all sorts of maps including 24K usgs quads of the national parks (link at garmin website, $99). On these you can zoom in and get detailed topo info. Waypoint data can be obtained from

http://www.cs.utk.edu/~dunigan/gsmnp/.

You can spend a lifetime at that site and get all kinds of information. And of course you can add your own waypoints with your garmin or PC which you can tether to you Garmin and exchange data. On you PC you can view all the maps and print what you want at whatever size.

Satellite connection can be difficult is some points so it is always good to have paper maps (can you also say dead batteries).
The garmin can indicate where you are, which direction, and how far you have to go. This is nice for those of us that don't know the mountains.

Of course if you have GIS software that is another more complicated approach to produce maps. Not for the faint hearted.

Hope this helps someone.

JoeFred
05-16-2009, 02:59 PM
Nice work and it displays your love of these incredible mountains and flyfishing.................

Thanks. They're hard not to love given I met my bride-to-be at Cosby CG and then 40+ years later I caught my first brook trout there. Much earlier on and before it was closed to camping, my parents and my 5 siblings got to escape the farm for a week at Chimneys CG. In our tarp covered cattle rack truck we likely resembled the Clampetts. :smile:

JoeFred
05-25-2009, 12:19 AM
That is impressive. Once finished, that will be one heck of a detailed map. The up close view of the topo lines will prove to be especially useful....

I have pretty much finished the Little River system map, although there's bound to be lots of typos, omissions, etc.

It was necessary to up the working illustration size to 34 x 22 in order to squeeze in all the streams, trails and topo lines. I manually traced them from the USGS quads. Doing so helped me get an appreciation of the immesity of the drainage... that and I'm too cheap to buy the map data and software. :biggrin:

JF