PDA

View Full Version : Camera Recommendations?

YoungBuck1
03-05-2008, 11:38 AM
I'm thinking about getting a new camera. I would love to get a nice SLR. I would love to use it when i'm fishing to take some better quality pics of fish but also of my surroundings (mountains, river, etc.) I realize SLRs for the most part are pretty big so that might be a problem but I really want something that's durable. Any suggestions? Someone suggested a Rebel. Any information would be a great help!

ALflygirl
03-05-2008, 12:52 PM
I have a Canon Rebel SLR and a digital SLR. They are both great cameras, but certainly the digital is easier when it comes to printing out pictures. I also like that "instant gratification" of being able to look at the shot on the screen. I usually have this with me when we travel(for scenics and such), but I take a small Sony cybershot into the stream with me.

D-Drake
03-05-2008, 12:58 PM
Youngbuck1,

When you go to get a camera you have to ask what you want to do with it. If you mainly need it to record your catch and take pics of pretty places then a point and shoot might be the way to go. They are smaller, easier to carry, and you can even get ones that are waterproof.
A SLR camera is going to give you tons more control over the photos and the ability to have different lenses. The only drawbacks are, price (more expensive) and size. You definitely have to be more careful not to fall in when you are carrying an SLR. Unless you get the really pricey pro models they aren't going to fair well by being dunked.

If you decide to go with a SLR, I've had great success with the Canon Rebel bodies. I've got several 35mm bodies and now have a Rebel Xti digital. The digital has 10.1 mega pixels which will do everything you could want. I've had almost no problems with my Canons. If you get an outfit I would get the Canon brand lenses.

Canon is about to release a new model of Rebel, the Xsi. It is going to be over 12 mega pixels but it is also supposed to be around $800. What I'm hoping is that this is going to cause a price cut on the older Xti so I can get a 2nd body.

Just my thoughts. Think about what you want to do with the camera and if convenience or features are more important.

Daniel

JimmyC
03-05-2008, 01:27 PM
There's a really nice Fuji digital at the bottom of the Little River somewhere... just make sure, unlike me, you don't get too excited and not replace it securely! But, I really liked taking my Fuji FinePix Z100, it was slim, had a nice view screen, and was 8 mp. Picked it up at Walmart and was pretty inexpensive. Wish I still had it. Think I may pick up another one soon.

drag line
03-05-2008, 05:26 PM
I have a digital slr a nikon d100 that I would never even think about taking it fishing with me . I just bought a olympus 790sw that is 7.1 mp and waterproof. I can prove the fact that it is waterproof after I gave it a formal baptism in the clinch Saturday. The cameral was unhurt but the cell phone was a diffrent story. The picture of UofMontanaAlum's brown was taken with the olympus before the dunking and all pictures were fine. awsome little camera for the money. I would recomend it in a heart beat.

David Knapp
03-05-2008, 07:54 PM
If you're wanting a DSLR, I'll second the Rebel Xti... I got one last summer and have enjoyed using it immensely. It always goes with me on hikes and any other outdoor excursion but you won't find it with me on the stream. I believe you can buy a waterproof housing for it if you really wanted to take it with you on the stream but it is quite expensive.

If you're just wanting a good fishing camera to document your catch, I've been using a Pentax Optio W30 for awhile and it has worked great...

UofMontanaAlum
03-05-2008, 09:09 PM
Both myself and my fishing buddy (Drag Line, posted above) just picked up Olympus Stylus 790 SW. The camera is waterproof up to 10 feet, shock-proof up to five, will handle temperatures down to -10degrees and its tiny.

Imagine how you would feel if you dropped at $500 camera body and $500 lens into the river. No thanks.

Nharrier
03-05-2008, 09:26 PM
I concur with the Pentax Optio W30. I use mine for work as a consulting ecologist in the Florida wetlands. It is durable and takes great pics. It does not allow manual exposure settings but in most situations the different settings will get the job done well. Believe me you want a small camera to take a picture while controling the fish and protecting that expensive rod and reel you have saved up for.

An SLR is too bulky and heavy not to mention not waterproof without more cash and making it heavier and bulkier. I won't send this thread into a discussion about Nikon vs Cannon but both are excellent. I use a Nikon D100 and an F5 (film). Would like faster frames per second on the digital but to do so brings the cost way up. Some of the newer Nikons (D40) are cheaper and look promising (Look in the recent Outdoor Photographer magazine for a comparison of features. I think consumer reports has a recent article too).

And you thought deciding on a fly rod and reel was tough!

sammcdonald
03-05-2008, 11:01 PM
remember, i sunk a sony alpha (10.2 mp) last summer.....it is a solid camera.....dried out and still shooting great ..... so, you get what ya pay for.....and this camera has come way down retail and is a bargain....especially if ya already have minolta af lenses

jeffnles1
03-06-2008, 03:29 PM
I picked up the Olympus 790SW last fall (October I think) and it has become my favorite camera. I have a much more expensive and feature rich digital (Cannon) and have hardly used it since I got the Olympus. It's handy, waterproof, the photos are sharp and of high quality.

It isn't an SLR and cannot compete with the clarity and quality glass one can get with SLR cameras but bang for the buck, my little Olympus is a fine choice.

Jeff

DrewDelashmit
03-06-2008, 06:52 PM
I have a nikon DSLR that I take fishing with regularity. I find that it is the only way to really get great pictures whether of fish or landscapes. I have a canon digital point and shoot that takes great pictures that I always keep in the boat for grip and grins.

If you are thinking along the lines of a DSLR, I would personally choose a Nikon. That is personal preference and the debate between Nikon and Canon is much like Chevy vs Ford. They are both great products, I just found the Nikon more comfortable in my hands as the Canons were a little bit small.

Paula Begley
03-06-2008, 08:32 PM
I totally love my Nikon D50. I am taking pretty good pictures for my blog and I have no photographic talent. I claim it as the "blond proof" camera. :biggrin:

Paula

Bran
03-07-2008, 09:20 AM
I take my SLR fishing with me also. I use a Pelican case when I'm canoing or boating and there are several water proof and water resistant back packs on the market for wading and such. I've carried the point and shoot cameras, I just like the control and responsiveness of the SLR's. My personal now is a 40D Canon EOS but I also have had the XT and Digital Rebel, all very good cameras. You would be fascinated at how a beginner can take beautiful pics and you can learn quickly with today's SLR's how to get creative with your photos. All in all I'll say it's money well spent for the DSLR.

Fishermansfly
03-07-2008, 02:45 PM
Need link to blog please...I bet there's some good pictures on there! Please, please, please!

~Brett

Paula Begley
03-07-2008, 05:43 PM
Brett

It's not a fishing blog...it's a *gasp* food blog. ;)

Paula

mtnman2888
03-07-2008, 06:02 PM
Food, just as good. If there is one thing that i love as much as fishing it's good food!

Craig

kytroutbummin
04-22-2008, 10:58 PM
i'm a little late, but I have the olympus 790sw also. Check it out, it is gods gift to stream cameras. I saw a video a guy did once where he played a huge brookie at his feet while he took an underwater video. He owns the shop in cherokee if you want to see the clip. I second the I would never take the slr near the stream. Could you imagine the pain of watching your favorite lens drop to the stream bed?

ccmmcc
04-23-2008, 08:28 AM
Hey Paula,

Being a foodie, I sure would be interested in your blog. What's the address?