PDA

View Full Version : Yellowstone 2007 Video!

Maurer
03-07-2008, 12:13 AM
Well it almost took me an entire year, but I finally got it done. I hope everyone enjoys the video as much as we do and that it will get you pumped to do your own trip out west.

http://flyfishing.hook.tv/Clip.aspx?key=4620D6290EDD2850

Grousegunner
03-07-2008, 08:20 AM
This video is excellent...almost too good. Now I won't be able to concentrate on anything "non-fishing" related until my Yellowstone trip in June. Oh well, that was already the case anyway...

Thanks for posting!

Grousegunner

Tennessee Jed
03-07-2008, 10:34 AM
OK, that was the motivation that I needed! You guys had a blast! Nice work and great fish! I went in July with my wife, and still haven't put the time in to make our trip video. We're talking about going back.

Flyfishjeep
03-07-2008, 03:09 PM
Kris,
Sweet Video. Good to see that you beat the crowds on the river.
Thanks for sharing the video.

snaildarter
03-07-2008, 04:12 PM
Gosh, gosh, gosh. I recognized so many of the actual places you guys were fishing. And you guys certainly did some walking to reach some of those places. I can't wait to get back there again. Excellent video!

jeffnles1
03-07-2008, 04:49 PM
I'm taking my son out there between July 6 and July 14.

Your video has me even more looking forward to the trip.

Jeff

Maurer
03-07-2008, 05:14 PM
Jeff, that is the exact time frame that we were out there!

gg1262
03-07-2008, 05:45 PM
NICE......as if the cabin fever wasn't bad enough.....We are going to get somewhere between 8 - 14" of snow here in Cincinnati over the next 24 hours.

That literally looks like the trip of a lifetime. Did y'all fly out or marathon drive? My father in law is now retired and wants to get the grandkids out to see as many National Parks with him as he can before father time puts on the brakes. The nice part is he has to take my wife and I with him if he wants the kiddos. We went to Glacier last August. Absolutely breath taking for a farm boy from Indiana. We are looking at Yellowstone possibly the summer of 2009, as long as the good Lord is willing. I am thinking to do it right (ie, good fishing time AND good family time) we have to be there a minimum 2 weeks. Looks like early July might be the time to target. Of course, if I can ever pick the right 6 numbers I may just spend the whole summer!!!

Thanks again, that is really great stuff!

Paula Begley
03-07-2008, 06:17 PM
Nice video, Kris! Some of those Soda Butte pics looked like the Lamar. I hated fishing near those darned buffalo.

I'm so disappointed we had to cancel our trip out there last summer, unfortunately, it was at the height of the fires and stream closures due to high water temps. :frown:

Paula

Maurer
03-07-2008, 06:41 PM
Paula you are right on the button, a few of the Soda Butte pics were from Scott and Ross when they hiked up above the junction, while Doug, Wade and myself got caught in a crazy hail storm and drove into Cooke City for pizza and beverages. Although there was a crazy hatch Gray Drakes right before the hail hit. It was crazy because temps droped about 15 degrees right before it hit. You had hail bombing the water and fish rising at the same time. That place always amazes me. When I lived out there we got about 8 inches of snow in the end of june.

donwinn
03-07-2008, 07:11 PM
Maurer,

Great video! I recognized some of those places. I hope to see them again some day.

diamonddave7676
03-07-2008, 07:32 PM
Wow!!! Awesome video!!

I am plannig no going to MT around august of this year and would love to know where some of those lesser known streams in the video were at.

doghaircaddis
03-07-2008, 09:39 PM
Good stuff! How's the Madison at night?

ajh10567
03-08-2008, 12:08 AM
Hey Maurer what time of the year did you go to yellowstone?

jeffnles1
03-08-2008, 12:56 AM
Jeff, that is the exact time frame that we were out there!

Kris,
Wow, now I'm really excited. I hope fishing is good while we're there. Even if it isn't, Yellowstone is a magic place.

I've been to Yellowstone 3 times, but this is the first time we've been fishing. My boy will be 13 next month. We're leaving mom and the bear bait, err, I mean dog, home so it's just the guys.

I just cannot wait to get out there.

Jeff

Butte Irish
03-30-2008, 10:43 PM
Good to see the video and even better to see that you enjoyed the park and not only the fishing. One regret I had when I lived in NC was that during the time I was in MT I didn't see the rest of the park other than fishing. This video is really great and well done. I can't figure out how to add a photo or two or I would give you a view of what the Cooke City area looked like 2 weeks ago.

Now that I have moved back that is not a problem.

Paula,

There is a huge amount of fishing out here. Fires do not burn everyhwere and closures are not all the places. A little research and a call to me will result in plenty of fishing, and without too many folks.

A good source of those out of the way streams in the Park, is the book "Day Hikes in YellowStone National Park" by Robeet Stone.

Also "Fishing Yellowstone National Park" by richard Parks.

The snowpack and resulting runoff seems to be a common question from anglers planning a trip to the area. I saw in the Billings, MT paper today that the snowpack around YNP is slightly above average for the water year. I only saw 2 drainages below 100 % and they were about 95 %. It is forcast for 8 - 13 inches more in the Area so it looks like the pack will continue to build.

Butte Irish