PDA

View Full Version : Middle Prong 3/6/08

FishNHunt
03-07-2008, 04:26 PM
I had alittle time to kill yesterday so I stopped by the fly shop to pick up a few flies that I was running low on and it being so beautiful desided I would give the middle prong a shot. The water was high and cold and being the hardheaded young fellar I am I wasn't to worried about it. I trudged on in and started fishing. I managed 1 3 inch bow. The longer I stayed in the water the harder it was to stand and I had waded to the far side to fish a hole that I just couldn't resist. That's where the little bow came from but when I started back across I actually became nervous. I'm a fairly strong fella but the problem was I couldn't find a good foot hold with my feet being so numb it took some time to cross but I managed without taking a drink. No more cold, high water wading for me. It's just not worth it. BTW, I only had on 1 pair of cotton socks on because I forgot my big thick wool socks at home. :rolleyes:

BlueRaiderFan
03-07-2008, 05:00 PM
Nice...Was it a stock bow or a natural?

jeffnles1
03-07-2008, 08:17 PM
be careful out there guys.

Jeff

Paddlefish
03-07-2008, 10:01 PM
I was fishing Little River about 20 yrs. ago and nearly got caught in a flash flood event. It was in June and a heavy thunderstorm passed through. I had backed up under a overhanging rock out of the rain and enjoyed a good cheap cigar. It rained hard for about 45 min. then the thunder continued to rumble for about another 15 min up the vally. When the thunder finally got far away to where I could barely hear it, I left the rock and began to fish again. The water was already stained but not muddy. I was fishing some broken pocket water with a nymph and was on the far side of the river when I noticed the the water had very suddenly gotten really muddy by Little River standards. I looked back towards the road side of the river and discovered that the water had risen about a foot but was really a lot swifter. I beat a very hasty retreat back to safety and was pretty relieved to get there. Within 10 min the water had risen another foot or so and was completely unwadable. I was lucky enough to learn a valuable lesson that day and not become one. Ditto on the be careful guys

gg1262
03-07-2008, 10:02 PM
Nice...Was it a stock bow or a natural?

I didn't think they stocked any fish in the park. Am I mistaken on that one?

FishNHunt
03-07-2008, 10:22 PM
Looked all nat ural to me. I have wondered if those stockers were put in below the weir dam in Townsend to keep them from running up into the park.:confused:

ijsouth
03-07-2008, 10:49 PM
It was, in all probability, a wild fish. The occasional wayward stocker swims into the park from the outside, but they stand out - not as colorful and definitely not as strong. At three inches, I doubt it was a stocker - they generally put them in at a larger size.

BlueRaiderFan
03-08-2008, 11:48 AM
At three inches, I doubt it was a stocker - they generally put them in at a larger size.

Ha! That's funny! :biggrin: There's a one next to his 3 lol.

BlueRaiderFan
03-08-2008, 11:49 AM
I didn't think they stocked any fish in the park. Am I mistaken on that one?

I don't think so, but it is possible to catch one.

ijsouth
03-08-2008, 12:19 PM
Read it again...it said he caught 1 3-inch bow...which means one fish that was 3 inches, unless the space was unintentional. A 13 inch rainbow from the middle prong would be an exceptional fish - there are a few, but not many, particularly after the drought, which seemed to knock off adult rainbows more than anything else...the only other possibility would be a stocker, but he would probably be fairly low on the stream to get one of those, and he didn't mention the location on his post.

FishNHunt
03-08-2008, 07:27 PM
Sorry guys. Yeah, that was 1 3 inch bow not a 13 inch bow. My personal best for bow in the park is a 11 1/2 incher out of the Middle Prong under the first bridge as I waited out a thunderstorm last year. She was colored nicely and had all her fins so I would guess she was native. I went to the second or third pull off last week. I don't count them anymore.

ijsouth
03-08-2008, 09:29 PM
11.5 is quite a fish, especially outside of Abrams. My best is a 10, out of the WPLPR, and it really gave me a tussle on a 2wt. If it had good coloration and fought well, it was probably wild. I hooked a few fish at Cosby, near the park boundary in November; they were larger than the typical fish there, and they were nothing but dead weight on the end of my line - no fight at all. In the same stretch, I caught a 7 inch bow that outfought all of them - actually stripped off some line...it was definitely a wild fish.

BlueRaiderFan
03-09-2008, 12:56 AM
Read it again...it said he caught 1 3-inch bow...which means one fish that was 3 inches, unless the space was unintentional. A 13 inch rainbow from the middle prong would be an exceptional fish - there are a few, but not many, particularly after the drought, which seemed to knock off adult rainbows more than anything else...the only other possibility would be a stocker, but he would probably be fairly low on the stream to get one of those, and he didn't mention the location on his post.

Wow, I've never caught a 3 inch trout, but then again, I fish in Townsend below the **** most of the time and have never ventured into the park. Man, I guess ignorance is bliss lol.:eek:

BlueRaiderFan
03-09-2008, 01:00 AM
Sorry guys. Yeah, that was 1 3 inch bow not a 13 inch bow. My personal best for bow in the park is a 11 1/2 incher out of the Middle Prong under the first bridge as I waited out a thunderstorm last year. She was colored nicely and had all her fins so I would guess she was native. I went to the second or third pull off last week. I don't count them anymore.

I've caught quite a few rainbows, but nothing else, that's why I'm starting to fish the park now. The aren't many browns in townsend...That and the fact that the are "no trespassing" signs every where you go to fish below the ****. I don't know why they even stock there because no one will let you fish these days in town. I'm going to enjoy fishing in the park, I believe. It will be like having my own huge fishing preserve. See you guys Thursday.

ijsouth
03-09-2008, 01:03 PM
Wow, I've never caught a 3 inch trout,

I've caught a bunch, some smaller than that - some so small, I wondered how they were able to wrap their jaws around the fly. The average size is only around 5 or 6 inches, which isn't really that much bigger.

jeffnles1
03-09-2008, 03:56 PM
I've caught quite a few rainbows, but nothing else, that's why I'm starting to fish the park now. The aren't many browns in townsend...That and the fact that the are "no trespassing" signs every where you go to fish below the ****. I don't know why they even stock there because no one will let you fish these days in town. I'm going to enjoy fishing in the park, I believe. It will be like having my own huge fishing preserve. See you guys Thursday.

Here in Kentucky there are a couple streams like that too where the state stocks trout but all of the surrounding land is private and has no tresspassing signs on it. I just don't know why they taked the money they get from sale of fishing licenses and use it to stock other people's private fishing waters. I'll never understand that practice.

I'm sorry to see it happen in Townsend too. The good news is the park is private property for everyone and since we all share ownership, we can fish there.

As for small fish in the park, there are those days when 3" would be a blessing. Check out this monster from up around Tremont last summer.
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b110/jeffnles1/fishing/HPIM0122.jpg

Jeff

PeteCz
03-09-2008, 06:11 PM
That's a size 6 PA and you have really big hands.....my guess would peg him at about 8", right?
:biggrin:

BlueRaiderFan
03-09-2008, 06:54 PM
Wow, that is a little depressing. I was hoping that I could catch at least 10 inchers on a regular basis...Oh well...Maybe I'll get one on occassion.

David Knapp
03-09-2008, 07:41 PM
Wow, that is a little depressing. I was hoping that I could catch at least 10 inchers on a regular basis...Oh well...Maybe I'll get one on occassion.

Don't worry about size, there are plenty of 10 inch and better fish. Now if you want to worry, figuring out how to catch them might be tough...;)

BlueRaiderFan
03-10-2008, 07:37 AM
Good point. :cool:

jeffnles1
03-10-2008, 01:39 PM
Don't worry about size, there are plenty of 10 inch and better fish. Now if you want to worry, figuring out how to catch them might be tough...;)

When one of you guys (and gals) figure out how to catch them, please send me a note. I'd love to know the trick.

I did manage one brown that went 9" last spring. It was on my first fly fishing trip in GSMP. At the time, I thought it was just a decent fish. I did not realize how unusual it was. I didn't even take a picture because I thought it was about an average to smallish fish.

Now, several trips later with nothing even close, and being active on this board, well, I know it was a pretty decent fish and was worthy of far more excitement than it generated.

The next one I catch that big is going to be the star of its own movie and will gain much fame from having it's beautiful face posted on this message board.

(notice I said the next one with absolute confidence there will be a next one!!!)

Jeff

Rog 1
03-10-2008, 03:17 PM
Chances for a larger brown will come more often in the fall....largest I have landed so far have been a 12 and 14" high above Elkmont.....lost one I know was bigger but couldn't turn him with the 6x I was fishing with....and best of all they have all been while fishing dries....gotta love it.

David Knapp
03-10-2008, 05:33 PM
When one of you guys (and gals) figure out how to catch them, please send me a note. I'd love to know the trick.

If you want to up the odds, fish nymphs or streamers on Little River...I usually throw double nymph rigs to up the odds even more and fish high percentage water in and close to the large pools... I still can't break the 20 inch mark but I know where the fish are...:biggrin:

Speckleman5
03-13-2008, 11:25 PM
I am not too upset that I can catch some 10 inchers on a regular basis over here on this side of the Park(NC). I've had my fair share of 9 plus speckles. Biggest I have caught though is a 12 inch rainbow right in front of the Palmer house in Cataloochee, followed by a 11 incher out of the same hole...I love fishing in a Thunderstorm in the Park.

Rog 1
03-14-2008, 09:07 AM
Don't like it when it's lightning but one of the best days I ever had in the park was during a heavy rain....went to a wet fly....lead wing coachman....and was catching fish on every cast for as long as it rained.....