PDA

View Full Version : Info Resource

KnoxBioBenz
03-08-2008, 12:56 AM
Hey Guys,
Newbie here. I am looking for a website that has quality photographs of all of the different flies that folks fish in this area of the country. I have bought books that don't always give good pics of the specific flies that are common in the Southern Appalachs. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Zack

milligan trout degree
03-08-2008, 01:25 AM
I would first suggest looking at the suggested flies list from the fishing report page and then looking them up on the online catalog. Most of the flies you see in the books will likely catch fish around here also. When it warms up some more, the flies you use in mountains won't be as important as how they're used. The mtn streams don't hold as much food as the tailwaters do, and therefore the fish can't afford to be as picky. On the tailwaters, however, the fish may be keyed into just one fly all day.

KnoxBioBenz
03-08-2008, 01:45 AM
That's great. Exactly what I was looking for. I guess the best way to 'em is to learn 'em.

Gerry Romer
03-08-2008, 11:14 AM
I would second what mtd suggests. I spent a great deal of time poring over each fly as Byron added them to the online catalog - and Daniel has written some excellent copy that will also give you some historical background on each fly. For the tailwaters around East Tennessee, local fly shops will always be your best source for guidance, and most of them have their own websites where you can usually find out what the locals are using. Surprisingly, the tailwaters do tend to vary from one to the next even if it is sometimes only a color change of a particular size midge. So it does pay to check locally.

And keep reading this board. People here are always offering recommendations for the different tailwaters. If you have a particular tailwater in mind, I would suggest running a few searches in the archives here... you'll be amazed at the volume of information available here.

Gerry