PDA

View Full Version : Clinch River

EarlyBird
03-10-2008, 10:35 AM
One of my friends and me fished the clinch sunday. We had a great day. He caught 35 and I ended up with 23. Most of the fish were in the 7" to 11" range. All fish were caught on rapalas and spoons. There were a few guys out fly fishing and they said fly bite was slow. Talked with one guy and fish we surfacing all around him, but he couldn't hook up with anything. He said next time he's going to bring a spinning rod.

ajh10567
03-10-2008, 12:30 PM
Yeah I fished the clinch on sunday, and every fly I tied on resulted in no fish. It was a frustrating day, but I love fly fishing too much to let one day persude me enough to pick up a spinning rod.

sprestwood
03-10-2008, 01:54 PM
Perhaps some streamer action would be good when the trout are biting bait fish imitations like spinners. Did anyone take the water temp Sunday?

EarlyBird
03-10-2008, 03:45 PM
didn't take a temp, but we did last weekend and it was 52 in the lower part of the river. Thats kind of warm for the winter weather. I think all the rain we have had warmed it us a little.

thebig21
03-10-2008, 04:26 PM
I was fishing Sat. with no luck either. I threw every size, color and shape at them. Finished off the day for the last hour with different wooly buggers with no luck.

I actually fished 3 days in a row on the Clinch with Friday being the most active as far as fish rising. Got skunked every day which has never happened to me on the Clinch.

sprestwood
03-11-2008, 10:17 AM
52 degrees pretty much confirms what I was thinking. These trout have an optimal metabolism between 12 and 16 degrees celcius, 54-61 F. It will make it easier to ambush small bait fish and chase after them. It's a much meaty-er reward than a floating dead bug.

EarlyBird
03-11-2008, 10:30 AM
The spot where we were fishing gets alot of pressure. There is another spot that I go to where you have to have something that floats and the average size of the trout is 17"-22". Its alot of fun to catch'em on rapalas.

appalachian angler
03-11-2008, 08:47 PM
I fished the Clinch last Thursday and wore them out in the afternoon. I was fishing a single sz 24 midge with a black tungsten bead head, a gray thread body with an extra fine gunmetal blue wire rib...good imitation of blackfly larvae I suppose. Another great midge is a sz 20-24 BH midge larvae tied with "camel" colored 8/0 uni thread, a copper tung. bead and an extra fine cooper wire rib....Simple yet very effective when fished 2-3' under a yarn indicator or a bushy dry fly with 7X flouro tippet. I tye these midges on TMC 2487 or 2488 curved scud/caddis/emerger hooks. Folks, you got to fish tiny this time of year on the clinch if you want to consistantly bring fish to hand. I resisted this style of fishing for years but finnally gave in! Midge fishing just plain works during the winter months! many of the fish will be small: 6-9" range but often you will be pleasantly surprised with a bigger specimen. Trust me, fish tiny. You can even have a decent day with a 22 Griffiths Gnat if the fish are rising.

aa

Brook Fan
03-15-2008, 05:51 AM
I'm new to the Clinch and I have been fishing at Miller's Island. I was wondering how far you could wade from Miller's Island headed towards Hwy 61 bridge before you needed floatation.

tennswede
03-15-2008, 05:25 PM
You got private property below Miller Island, but there are some spots you can wade on TVA land closer to Massengill Bridge area. After the bridge on River Rd you have to have a boat. In short, to answer your question, you got half a mile or maybe 3/4 mile down to Massengill bridge.