PDA

View Full Version : Little River in Town

Bachforelle
03-12-2008, 10:31 AM
Hi All,

I am headed your way this weekend with my son and Dad. I have read a bunch about fishing in the GSMNP, but what about the "hatchery chickens" in town. We will be staying at Dock's Motel with easy access to the river. What is the best way to catch 'em in town, drys, wet, nymph or dare I ask Spinning or Bait fishing.

We have a guided trip planned in the park with Hugh, but I want to make sure the bug takes with my son and would like to make sure he has some success, as well as an appreciation for the park experience.

Any help would be appreciated. :confused:

Flyfishjeep
03-12-2008, 12:16 PM
Bachforelle,
They are calling for rain friday night into Sat morning. If your trip with Hugh is early in the weekend then the rest of your time will not be a problem. Hugh will answer all those questions and more when you meet with him. He is a very nice guy, and a great teacher. You can find his personal website and send him an email asking him on the fly selection. http://smokymountainflyguide.com/
If the water temps get a little higher I would expect to see some halfway decent dry flies activity. You can always increase your chances by dropping a nymph of the dry fly.
Make sure to check the fishing report and the flies that Bryorn suggests, they are always great choices.
You should have a great weekend down here, and make sure you post some pictures of your trip.

Bachforelle
03-12-2008, 02:27 PM
Our trip with Hugh is not until Monday so most of the weather should be out, we will be in town until Wednesday so we have plenty of time to learn a thing or two.

Thanks for the inputs and hopefully we will have some pictures worth posting.

B