PDA

View Full Version : South Holston Report

FLYFSN
03-13-2008, 08:58 PM
I left home at 5:00 a.m. yesterday, and the three hour drive to the South Holston River did not seem long. I had a good friend along with me for this trip. We got in the water at 8:30 a.m. and started fishing at the grates with black fly patterns with no luck. I switched to a dry dropper rig, and on the first cast, wham! The first fish was a beautiful 16" rainbow. On a little midge tied with moose hair with a black bead, I caught two smaller browns and hooked another good rainbow that pulled off.

I saw a few fish rising above the grates. We fished the dry dropper rig and caught a couple of more fish on the midge. Then I switched to a BWO sparkle dun only and caught about five more, Then we headed down to Webb's store for lunch, and then after lunch, fished the Big Springs area. My friend caught several fish in this area of the river. He caught a beautiful rainbow that was 16 1/2 inches. We did not see many bugs hatching all day. We tried a lot of different flies. All in all, we caught and released 24 fish that day.

Grousegunner
03-13-2008, 09:34 PM
FLYFSN,

Do you take 23 south through Pike Co. and then on down to get to the South Holston? I'd like to fish there soon.

Grousegunner