PDA

View Full Version : Fishing the Watauga or the Holston on Sunday

Green Weenie
03-14-2008, 06:57 AM
I thought I might give the Watauga a try on Sunday. Will I be able to dodge the race traffic?

If not, I could make my way to the Holston below Cherokee Dam, but I don't know much about either river.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Hugh Hartsell
03-14-2008, 07:40 AM
GW,
The traffic is going to be extremely serious on I-81 up to the 2nd Blountville exit. Do not try to go that way. If you want to fish the Watauga, take the Erwin highway just on the other side of Greenville and hit I-26 as you are entering Erwin. Get off at the Elizabethton exit. You should be able get to the river pretty easily from there. You can go through Elizabethton to the other side of town and turn left to Bluff City and access the So Ho on the lower end. The traffic will be heavy as you get close to Bluff City as well. The Holston below Cherokee, the South Holston, and the Watauga are all fishing well right now. Good luck.
Hugh

Green Weenie
03-14-2008, 08:34 AM
Thanks, Hugh.

What would we do without you?

ACinEastTN
03-14-2008, 09:46 AM
I fished Watauga yesterday after work for a couple hours. There were all sorts of bugs hatching but no fish rising to speak of. I managed to catch one Brookie on a BHPT about size 18. As for traffic, I would say if your traveling during the race it isn't that bad. I live very near the river and could help with detailed directions if you would like. Just let me know which directions you will be traveling from.