PDA

View Full Version : Little Bottoms Fishing Report

nvr2L8
03-14-2008, 05:59 PM
Well, PeteCz, Steve (Pete's B-I-L) and I went up to Little Bottoms today as advertised. Nice little walk of 2.9 miles in so that we could skip all the spots on lower Abrams where the fishing was slow. No rain until we geared up at Campground 17 to start fishing. (BTW, Campground 17 had been closed for bear activity until today, making this an even more attractive destination.) From the beginning, we were seeing Quill Gordons all over - in the beginning, tiny ones (~#20) but around 2:00 they really came out and I saw a couple that were at least #12. The area and water were really pretty, water temp was 48-49 degrees and the rain was steady but never really poured.

We're pretty sure that Pete may have caught the state record sucker but I was too far upstream to be able to get back to take a picture of it. Except for the sucker, nymphs were pretty much a bust and we started trying dries (QG and PA) in the last hour or so - actually started getting some nibbles at that point. In the end, we got a year's supply of dinks but no trout. Pete didn't mention until later that he's been up there four times now and still hasn't caught a trout. Guess he wanted some witnesses. Stopped raining on the way back out (oddly enough, another 2.9 miles) until we stopped and took off our rain jackets - started up again after we got back on the trail.

Lots of good casting practice, a great time on the stream and a heck of a lot of fun for three guys. A nearly perfect day except for the no fish part. Can't wait till next weekend.

PeteCz
03-15-2008, 01:36 AM
Charlie, upon further research it turns out I landed a white sucker. While I was nearly ashamed of catching it and somewhat hesitant to even touch the dang thing, it appears that they are relatively common in many parts of the country (although this was my first). They can grow 12-20" and 2-4lbs. Mine was at the lower edge of that range (13-14" maybe?) and weighed about 2lbs. He/she put up a nice fight, but looked rather forlorn after I had him to hand, no wait...that's how they always look....
:frown:
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2192/2333795759_fe20fdc372_o.gif

For those of you who might be interested in stalking suckers, here is some more info:
http://www.buckeyeflyfishers.com/Articles/white%20suckers/white_sucker.htm

If that isn't enough info for you:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catostomus_commersoni

nvr2L8
03-15-2008, 09:38 AM
Pete,

Thanks to you and Steve for a fun day in the Smokies. Fish or no fish, I had a really great time. Looking forward to the next time

(BTW, I highlighted Little Bottoms in red on your spreadsheet.)

PeteCz
03-15-2008, 02:47 PM
It was great hiking 6 miles with you all, but not finding any fish for a fourth time up, would qualify as a strikeout...

There are too many other places to catch fish...

Steve and I made it up to Tremont this morning for about 2 hrs before it started pouring and lightning. We managed to catch a few small rainbows on Copper Johns and a gray foam bodied PA. Nothing hatching, but much more fish activity than yesterday...

Next Adventure: ?

Troutman
03-15-2008, 10:12 PM
Some of those sucker fish can get quite large. A buddy of mine caught this sucker about 4 miles up deep creek from the trailhead. We spotted what we thought were two big browns and he was hooked up pretty quickly while I was trying to get to my camera. Still a nice 18" fish no matter the species.

http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l114/gltroutman/2006pictures052.jpg

BlueRaiderFan
03-15-2008, 11:10 PM
Well, PeteCz, Steve (Pete's B-I-L) and I went up to Little Bottoms today as advertised. Nice little walk of 2.9 miles in so that we could skip all the spots on lower Abrams where the fishing was slow. No rain until we geared up at Campground 17 to start fishing. (BTW, Campground 17 had been closed for bear activity until today, making this an even more attractive destination.) From the beginning, we were seeing Quill Gordons all over - in the beginning, tiny ones (~#20) but around 2:00 they really came out and I saw a couple that were at least #12. The area and water were really pretty, water temp was 48-49 degrees and the rain was steady but never really poured.

We're pretty sure that Pete may have caught the state record sucker but I was too far upstream to be able to get back to take a picture of it. Except for the sucker, nymphs were pretty much a bust and we started trying dries (QG and PA) in the last hour or so - actually started getting some nibbles at that point. In the end, we got a year's supply of dinks but no trout. Pete didn't mention until later that he's been up there four times now and still hasn't caught a trout. Guess he wanted some witnesses. Stopped raining on the way back out (oddly enough, another 2.9 miles) until we stopped and took off our rain jackets - started up again after we got back on the trail.

Lots of good casting practice, a great time on the stream and a heck of a lot of fun for three guys. A nearly perfect day except for the no fish part. Can't wait till next weekend.

I caught an 8" brown on a crazy prince (?) today. O.k. it was something "prince" that would indicate wild colors/activity up at the end of the road at Treemont.

DG

BlueRaiderFan
03-15-2008, 11:16 PM
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=30038526&o=all&op=1&view=all&subj=22127975337&aid=-1&id=1048341616&oid=22127975337http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=30038526&o=all&op=1&view=all&subj=22127975337&aid=-1&id=1048341616&oid=22127975337

What a monster!

BlueRaiderFan
03-15-2008, 11:17 PM
Alright...How do I load a photo without a link?

nvr2L8
03-15-2008, 11:34 PM
BRF,

Go to the Website and Message Board forum on the board and look at the first thread by Paula - it gives instructions on how to post pictures.

BlueRaiderFan
03-15-2008, 11:35 PM
Thanks man!

nvr2L8
03-16-2008, 10:22 PM
Next Adventure: ?

How about:
2) Campsite 60 on Deep Creek Trail. It's an easier 2.5 mile hike from Deep Creek Rd on Deep Creek.

PeteCz
03-16-2008, 11:36 PM
Deep Creek sounds like an excellent idea.

When? Friday 3/21 looks good right now, 19.4 for the high temp...the water should be closing in on 12 degrees, by then...

BTW, Work has been slow so far this year, but the first day I take off to go fishing(this past Friday), two new opportunities popped up and I had urgent emails waiting for me that evening...perhaps I need to go fishing more often. Even if I don't catch fish (trout, that is) I get new business coming in the door...I do need to go fishing more often...
:biggrin:

nvr2L8
03-17-2008, 05:52 AM
Got a call from my son wanting to go fishing on 3/21 so I guess I better push the Deep Creek date out a bit. Can't pass up a father/son fishing opportunity.