PDA

View Full Version : Bear Advice

Brook Fan
03-15-2008, 06:41 AM
I have not fished the park yet and I was wondering of any helpful advice I could use while hiking around to avoid startling any bears. Especially this Spring with all the new cubs around. Don't want to upset momma bear.

I hear about talking loudly as you hike around and carrying bear spray.
Bears may not be a problem but I just want to be as prepared as possible.

2weightfavorite
03-15-2008, 07:13 AM
Bear spray is always a good option (especially when carrying the ole .44mag is illegal..) But to be honest the bears aren't a huge problem. You may see some, although some is an overstatement.. You may see one.. is more like it. Typically when they see you, they bolt. However I have had a few eye me from a distance before, and I did exactly what you said, simply talked loudly. As a side note, if you smell a bear (which they smell quite strong and musty to me) you may try singing aong as you move along. Be careful with this however, for if you happen apon some other folks, they may wonder why you're singing so loudly, and if you try to explain that you thought you smelled a bear and were try ing to anounce your presence as to not startle him, they may really think you're really nuts... From past experience, just tell them you really like the song...it goes over better

jeffnles1
03-15-2008, 12:01 PM
A side benefit to singing loudly and talking to yourself it is increases the chances you'll have the stream to yourself.:eek:

Jeff

flyman
03-15-2008, 01:17 PM
Always go with someone you can outrun:biggrin:

JimmyC
03-15-2008, 02:49 PM
I had a few bear run-ins while on the middle prong (LPR) last year. They were scraggly, with the exception of one mama and cub... but don't worry too much about bears, they're timid and shy. They'll usually go the other way before you do. If you run into a cub, though... best to go the other way yourself.

On a side note, I've seen a huge grizzly dropped in mid charge with the spray ... well, OK, it was on a video in Cody, WYO, but I saw it! I'd say it'll do the trick on just about anything (even the people singing and talking loudly!).

cardfly
03-15-2008, 03:02 PM
Is there a certain kind of "bear spray" that anyone recommends? because you wouldn't want to hear me sing.......

Brian Griffing
03-15-2008, 03:52 PM
There's a saying back in Montana...
It's easy to tell the difference between black bear scat and grizzly scat. The black bear scat is small, packed tight, and full of berries. The grizzly scat is much larger and smells like pepper spray.

rainshaker
03-15-2008, 04:31 PM
Recently, I saw a program on the National Geogrphic Channel, called A Man Among Bears. It was about Bear expert Ben Kilham and his 12year study of Black Bear behavior. Very Interesting stuff... If you go to:

http://channel.nationalgeographic.com/channel/ (http://channel.nationalgeographic.com/channel/)

you can search the program title and find out when it might air again.

sammcdonald
03-15-2008, 04:58 PM
i prefer right guard spray for bears...stops that smelly, musty odor quick...so i don't have to sing and scare all the other critters.
p.s.....it doesn't work on river otters who make bears smell like roses.

bamafisherlady
03-15-2008, 05:56 PM
I've heard a few people sing (not to name any names)who could probably ACTUALLY scare a bear away by their singing voice alone! Works with people too; half of 'em, quit the choir when I joined!

I always carry to "cop size" mace when I go into the wood, you know, just in case the bear can't tell the difference in melodious keys.

cardfly
03-15-2008, 09:06 PM
Man, dealing with snakes and bears is one thing but now we have to deal with bad singers all over the woods. This may be getting out of hand. :smile:

I just told my wife that I was going to have to get some ear plugs to add to my fly fishing stuff. I really liked this wife, too.......

ccmmcc
03-15-2008, 09:28 PM
I am 43 and in reasonably good shape. My fishing partner is 66 or 67, bad knees and senile. I always make sure he carries the food. I haven't had any problems with bears...

Elk riverrat
03-15-2008, 09:34 PM
Bears,

never had a problem with them, coons, now that is a bear of a different color, I don't care how high, how far between trees you hang your pack, if you spend enough time in the backcountry you will get a backpack devoured. I got a fine one I can show you:) Happened in 1996 back near Bone Valley area on Hazel Creek.

nvr2L8
03-15-2008, 09:39 PM
Chris, that's just cold! Effective but cold.

Pete, don't be getting any ideas; you gotta carry your own food, man. And I'm definitely hitting the treadmill - don't want to be the designated bear bait.

snaildarter
03-15-2008, 10:23 PM
Here is some good advice about bears:

http://crunks.com/uploads/images/neat-pictures/2.gif

BlueRaiderFan
03-15-2008, 11:05 PM
Bears,

never had a problem with them, coons, now that is a bear of a different color, I don't care how high, how far between trees you hang your pack, if you spend enough time in the backcountry you will get a backpack devoured. I got a fine one I can show you:) Happened in 1996 back near Bone Valley area on Hazel Creek.

Being from the South, I always bring a "Coon Huntin' Monkey" with me (Jerry Clower reference).

BlueRaiderFan
03-15-2008, 11:06 PM
I am 43 and in reasonably good shape. My fishing partner is 66 or 67, bad knees and senile. I always make sure he carries the food. I haven't had any problems with bears...

A little left over bacon grease always works wonders...It's also great when mother in laws are along for the trip!

dropper
03-16-2008, 12:05 AM

that is kind of what i do.im also 43 and my dad is 68.im taking him into cataloochee april 1st.i figure i can out run him. always helps to have a model T pulling up the rear.

Fishermansfly
03-16-2008, 01:24 AM
My bad, thought this thread read, "BEER" don't know if I can help on "BEAR matters!

Cheers!
Brett

milligan trout degree
03-16-2008, 02:40 AM
My bad, thought this thread read, "BEER" don't know if I can help on "BEAR matters!

Cheers!
Brett

you could give them a shot of some honeydew vine water and commence them to do the "bear dance". Two sniffs, a snort, a fly, a turn and a grunt; and it was so simple like the jitterbug it plumb evaded me.

of course, I'm not sure Jimmy Buffett has had much experiences with bears.

But seriously, I'd say carry a can of bear spray with you. Probably your best bet, but then again, you probably don't have to worry.

alexys01
03-16-2008, 09:51 AM
did somebody say beer?

cardfly
03-16-2008, 10:41 AM
what's "beer spray?" and who do you spray it on?

WNCFLY
03-17-2008, 08:40 AM
Is there a certain kind of "bear spray" that anyone recommends? because you wouldn't want to hear me sing.......
I carry a spray called counter assault. This is the same spray most of your rangers out west carry for grizzles. I know most of the guys on here say there is no danger from bears, but I have had a bad experience and just carry it for piece of mind. The chances are very slim you will even see a bear, but if having a small canister strapped to your belt gives you some piece of mind, why not.

Here is a link to counter assault's website.
http://www.counterassault.com/

WNCFLY
03-20-2008, 08:48 AM
here ya go

Speckleman5
03-20-2008, 09:18 PM
I ran into one at the first small creek above the horse camp in Cataloochee. Palmer Creek had risen a foot and gotten murky while I was walking in, and after a trip over I was going to wet my fly, I took off up that little creek and caught 2 in 2 holes. The third hole I wasn't paying any attention and when I set the hook on a brook, much to my surprise the log on the creek bank I thought I had saw happened to jump up and run off on my hook set. It was about a 300 pound black bear and it took off absolutely flying, knocking down a small downed tree. I, in the other direction, wsa making just as good time back to th trail. The two guys I was with thought I was over in the woods throwing rocks, until they saw me sprinting down the trail white faced. 2 feet is the closest I have ever been, and I don't plan on ever being that close again.

Troutoholic
03-23-2008, 11:01 AM
I have never had any problems with bears. I have seen a group of tourons (moronic tourists) trying to approach one to feed it and take pictures.

pineman19
03-23-2008, 12:17 PM
I prefer a hearty lager from Barleys in the Old City for my beer spray.

Neal

Butte Irish
03-23-2008, 12:54 PM
I went to a seminar in Cody, WY on how to live with bears, loins and wolves. I also have a life long friend who teaches bear avoidance for Northwestern Energy, the dominant power company in Montana.

First of all you don't have to out run your partner, you just have to knock them down or trip them. I'm sure that that 66 year old has many tricks up his sleeve.

With weapons there is a 50 % success with Griz bear attacks. With bear strength pepper spray it is 90 %. I like the odds with spray 10 % chance of being eaten vs. 50 % chance of being eaten.

I did see severral videos and that spray really works. Aim for the face. It works on mucous membranes and is 10 ctimes stronger than mace. It uoght to take care of all those demented cfrazed hikers too. No need to pack heat.

Keep the spray handy. It is no good inside the pack or in the vest.

The lead instructor said that he has had to use his spray twice in his 20 plus years of backcounrty travel. (From the map of 2007 bear instances, that would be any where 2 miles west of cody and beyond. There is some really good Cutthrout fishing there. It figures.

Also if you have bear spray then get that neat plactic jar to contain it. The instructor had a really neat story about a gamewarden that had oine go off in his vehicle. The can was set off by the high heat generated from the summer and rolled up windows.

The stuff also works on the other critters. If you are worrid that pack the bear spray in atleast 9 oz volumes and makes sure you know which way the wind is blowing.

Butte Irish

Gerry Romer
03-23-2008, 04:35 PM
There's a show that's been airing this week on the National Geographic channel all about bears -- Polar bears, Grizzly bears and Black bears. If I remember the statistics correctly, a bear's sense of smell is something like a hundred times more acute than a dog's (which I think they said is 7 times more acute than humans... whatever the numbers, a bear's sense of smell is it's greatest asset). It stands to reason that Bear Spray would be far more effective than just about anything else.

The show tells a story of two guys who got surprised by an aggressive Grizzly and tried to climb a tree to get away from it. In his panic trying to get away, one guy drops his vest which had pepper spray in it. The bear followed him up the tree and dragged him down. The guy falls about 30 feet, gets up and makes a run for his vest. He gets the pepper spray out and gives the bear a full-face shot of the stuff then turns and heads up another tree. He said the bear dropped to the ground at the base of the tree and lay there in a heap. The guy thought he'd killed the bear and he just watched it for a while. The bear finally got up, shook his head, snorted like he was trying to clear his sinuses, and ambled off without looking back for either of the two guys.

Cool show... very informative.

lauxier
03-23-2008, 08:02 PM
have seen several bears in the park---none were aggresive---food habituated bears are the ones that will get you--