PDA

View Full Version : translucent green weenie

buckeyetrouter
03-15-2008, 04:11 PM
hey guys and gals.....whatcha think of green weenies with this material ? ? ?

bob

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l303/buckeyetrouter/DSC_0097_edited-1.jpg

Flyfishjeep
03-15-2008, 06:42 PM
I like that look a lot! What kind of texture does that material have? Second question is-What kind of material is that? It's not some material that you can only get in the Buckeye state is it?
Keep up the new ideas!

buckeyetrouter
03-16-2008, 07:34 AM
it is a stretch wire (rubber type) that is used for plastic bead bracelet making and is called Pony Bead Lacing......with this diameter I don't think I could tye anything under #12 but I was intrigued with the looks of this one.....I am going to try a barbie bug since I also got it in raspberry (pinkish cast) and will post it if it looks o.k........

bob

Byron Begley
03-16-2008, 01:48 PM
Bob,

I like it too. Did you buy the material at a craft store? I would like to try this one. It seems more realistic than the weenies I tie.

Byron

buckeyetrouter
03-16-2008, 02:30 PM
Byron.....I'll drop you some already tied in the mail. The material is from hobby lobby (any craft store may have it) called Pony Lacing....it is a hollow core rubber tubing type of material......I'll even send a few barbie bugs tied just like it......

let me know if they work. If the green weenie master Kevin Thomas see's this I'll have to send him some also (gladly)......

bob

Griff
03-21-2008, 01:44 PM
I like the looks of that fly Bob. How have you been. I have not been on here in a while but I am getting that Spring fly fishing bug and looked up the fishing report. I had to come see the fly that Byron was talking about.

thebig21
03-21-2008, 03:12 PM
The Green Weenie is easily my favorite nymph to fish the mountains with. This one looks great...I will be at Hobby Lobby in Brandon, MS in about 3 hours. Byron, Paula, Daniel, you can't imagine how bad I miss living in Blount Co. and having access to your shop and the trout streams but Mississippi's home and the bream fishing is about to kick in so I'll jerk some perch with my new Sage Launch Daniel sold me about 2 weeks ago.

See you'ins (ya'll as we in MS say) soon.

Tracy

buckeyetrouter
03-21-2008, 05:48 PM
hey Griff, good to hear from ya.....hope all is going well and those little gals of yours are growing like weeds ( beautiful weeds of course)......all is going well for me and Abby, hoping to be in townsend in 3-4 weeks for some fishing and picture taking........maybe we can get together to fish this year since we didn't get to last year

take care and have a Blessed Weekend
bob

Byron Begley
03-21-2008, 07:01 PM
Bob,

Thanks for sending us the Green and Pink Weenies and the material. I talked about them in the Fishing Report today. I can't wait to try them. I just hope Paula and Daniel forget they are on my desk. They look great and may work better than the originals. I bet they do. We'll see. I'm going to stop by Hobby Lobby soon.

Byron

Byron Begley
03-21-2008, 07:03 PM
Tracy,

Us'ins miss you'ins too.

Byron

Paula Begley
03-21-2008, 08:42 PM
buckeye...don't you worry...I am not forgetting those flies are on Byron's desk, no sir. :biggrin:

Especially since a friend sent me some flies today and specifically told me NOT to share them with Byron...and I promised Byron that I would share.

They look great! Thank you so much!

Paula

buckeyetrouter
03-21-2008, 09:08 PM
Byron, I seen that I made the fishing report, thank you......I was hooting and hollaring and Abby thought I had gotten a hang nail stuck on the keyboard....I told her that I have finally arrived, I got a mention on the fishing report....she didn't understand the right of passage I guess since she made this face:confused: but her eyes were rolling also

Byron and Paula, you are so welcome! I hope to hear that they are a good version of the original and we could call them the Buckeye Green Weenie and the Buckeye Barbie.......:rolleyes:

Seriously, let me know if you get a chance to use them and if they are worth tying. I am experimenting with a few different ways to tye them to make it easier. I am also keeping any eye out for a smaller diameter of the same type of procduct, this is very hard to work with. I plan on bringing some down with Abby and I in 3-4 weeks to try ourselves. If you see Kevin Thomas in the store have him get hold of me so I can get him some to try.......

God Bless and Good Fishing

bob

ps...Paula, if Byron doesn't share I will send you a private stash. Does he play well with others? ? ?

Paula Begley
03-21-2008, 09:18 PM
ps...Paula, if Byron doesn't share I will send you a private stash. Does he play well with others? ? ?

HAHA! Actually, he does. He was teasing...and so was I. He'll share...or I will report back! ;)

I am liking the sound of the buckeye barbie! Buckeyes are good luck, dontcha know! And a barbie is always an asset! :smile:

Paula

FLYFSN
03-21-2008, 10:00 PM
Hey Buckeye,

I like the translucent green weenie. You can see the hook inside. Did you ever try wrapping the shank with gold or silver mylar? I bet that would add a glow. You could call that the "glow weenie". That might just work....hmm?

monktrout
03-21-2008, 10:35 PM
Nice fly! When will we see the first inch worms in the park? Inch worms are also great on tail waters. I think IRFishing had recent success with a green weenie on the Elk. How about a San Juan worm with this stringy goo in red?

buckeyetrouter
03-22-2008, 07:21 AM
it is a fairly tight fit on the hook with the tubing, I was able to wrap the hook shank with red ultra wire then tie the green weenie......you won't believe the effects....gotta go to work for a bit, but will post a shot when I get home.....I think you may like it also

bob

Gerry Romer
03-22-2008, 10:04 AM
If you can find this stuff in the .5mm size, it makes great midges. I've been tying them for some time in size 20 with a silver foil base... very flashy! I've also tried some alternating thread combinations underneath. Don't know how they work, but a red/black thread combo under a clear tube is pretty cool. You get some interesting segmentation looks. This stuff also has some interesting light reflection properties. Underwater, they seem to glow from within. Also, since it is a stretchy material, if you make the first few wraps under tension and then gradually release the tension, you can quickly build a really nice taper on a midge.

There's an article in one of my mags that started me on these and I'll see if I can find a link. And if I can borrow my son's camera I'll see about posting some pics. My macro just doesn't handle much below size 16...

Gerry

buckeyetrouter
03-22-2008, 10:36 AM
Fly Tyer (spring 2008 issue) has the article that got me to try this....they were tying what they call jelly midges.....

bob

buckeyetrouter
03-22-2008, 11:04 AM
ok.....here it is , kinda rushed it as just got off work and have to head in to choir practice for Easter Sunday.....anyways, tied red ultra wire under the tubing.....whatcha think, going too far or give it a try (they are kinda a pain to tye)

bob
http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l303/buckeyetrouter/GreenWeenieblood.jpg

Flyfishjeep
03-22-2008, 05:09 PM
Bob-
I think that fly looks pretty sharp. You should put it in a glass of water and see what kind of reflections you get. Keep up the good work.
-Ben

jeffnles1
03-22-2008, 08:27 PM
Bob,
Where did you get the green tubing? The Hobby Lobby here in Florence KY only had clear. Somehow, a "clear Buckeye Weenie" just does not have the ring as a "green Buckeye Weenie" does...

Thanks,
Jeff

Gerry Romer
03-23-2008, 12:26 AM
Wapsi makes a clear tubing material that's very similar to the beading stretch tubing material, although the Wapsi material isn't quite as colorful and certainly isn't "neon". The bright "neon" material has gotten harder to find at Hobby Lobby. You can get the clear material at Wally World in white and clear and in .5 mm and 1 mm diameter. Look in the beading section and look under the cording materials display and you will find cards with multiple diameters and colors on them. In general, the bright and colorful material is getting harder to find at the craft stores.

The following were tied with clear stretch tubing from both Hobby Lobby and LRO. I have changed out the thread under-structure with varying results.

Incidentally, I was hoping for some high degree of flotation factor with this stuff since it is a hollow tubing and the act of tying traps air inside the tubing material. Unfortunately (or fortunately depending on your goal and needs), this stuff sinks like a rock. I don't think you can tie any type of emerger pattern and expect it to hang in the film without using a ton of deer hair, snowshoe rabbit or some other high-flotation material above it.

So here we go: first up, an Olive midge tied on a Tiemco 101, #18 with a Danville light olive 210 denier thread base with a thread head. Note that the body takes on a slight taper based on tension applied while wrapping. In subsequent examples there is no tension applied

http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l233/gwrom/refinedjellygreen.jpg

Next, a clear tubing over a foil base tied in with a Coats & Clark 406N thread base and a thread built head, also on a Tiemco 101 size 18 hook...
http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l233/gwrom/refinedjellymidge.jpg

Next up, a clear tubing wrapped over an alternating red/black thread base tied on a Tiemco 206 BL size 16 hook:

http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l233/gwrom/refinedredblackmidge.jpg

And finally, a variation of the process. This is an Iko Caddis tied with clear D-rib material over an olive thread base. Just to show that Hareline D-rib material does pretty much the same thing if you can't find the Hobby Lobby stuff.

http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l233/gwrom/ikocaddis.jpg

UofMontanaAlum
03-23-2008, 01:02 PM
I use the Wapsi "micro midge tubing" too. It's cheap, easy to tie with and looks good. I have several different colors and sizes. Please be kind, I am an awful tier.

Sz 20, brown micro tubing wrapped with alot of pressure. (The herl is all messy because I fished this guy Friday.)
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b24/Elmobile/P3230003.jpg

Sz 20 with alittle bigger amber colored tubing wrapped using less pressure.
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b24/Elmobile/P3230004.jpg

I've never tied a weenie before so I thought I would give it a go. The first one was terrible so I decided to add some bulk to the body with thread and then add some holographic tinsel under the tubing to get it to "pop" alittle more. Still not great but much better:
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b24/Elmobile/P3230006.jpg