PDA

View Full Version : A Good Girl

BlueRaiderFan
03-16-2008, 05:51 PM
I just wanted to let everyone know that a good dog died today. She is the little yellow female lab in my pictures on the link below. Her name was "Pretty" or "Pretty Girl." My wife and I loved her very much and she was a part of our family. As some of you can tell, I had some emotional posts this weekend and I guess it's kind of silly for a grown man to get upset over a dog, but she was and is special to us. She deserves to be remembered. See you guys on the river.

Dwayne and Rebecca

RIP Our Pretty Girl:

http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=viewImage&friendID=31267177&albumID=0&imageID=118392

Flyfishjeep
03-16-2008, 06:10 PM
BlueRaiderFan,
My sympathies are with your family. We lost a good dog over a year ago, and I cried for a long while. It takes some time to get over the loss.
Someone in heaven with a lot of tennis balls will have a new buddy to play with.

BlueRaiderFan
03-16-2008, 06:40 PM
FFJ,

Thanks a lot. Hopefully I will see her again.

BRF

Paula Begley
03-16-2008, 07:28 PM
BlueRaiderFan

We are so sorry for your loss. We dread the day when we lose our (almost 14 year old) springer spaniels, Madison and Gibbon.

Paula

Byron Begley
03-16-2008, 07:47 PM
Dwayne,

I feel your pain and I've been through it before. You will see her some day. Like Paula said, we'll deal with it soon. I dread the days. I'm sorry for your loss. I clicked on your link and didn't get to see Pretty Girl.

Byron

BlueRaiderFan
03-16-2008, 08:48 PM
Paula and Byron,

Thank you so much. It is a lot harder than I thought it would be. She was a rescue and was severely abused, but we took her in anyway and this gave her such a unique personality. She was really wild at first, but after about a year, she was a sweet little thing that wanted my attention at all hours of the day and night. Most dogs act like "dogs," but she really did have a unique personality and she was such a "daddy's girl." I have been greeted by that dog everyday when I come home from work for the last six years. She would litteraly hop on her front feet and whine until I got the door unlocked and made it into the house. Thanks for letting me share this with you guys and thanks for your concern.

RIP Pretty. We will miss you so much.

jeffnles1
03-16-2008, 09:43 PM
Dwayne and Rebecca,
I am sorry to hear about your loss. I understand how much our dogs can become part of the family. We have a little black dog. Her name is Jazzy (J-bo or just baby-J). My mom and dad's dog passed away last summer and I think it took my dad about 6 months to really get over it.

It's OK to mourn the passing of a friend.

Jeff

nvr2L8
03-16-2008, 10:11 PM
We have had two dogs since our Cocker Spaniel Molly; she still holds the special place in my heart. I have never done anything so hard as taking Molly to the vet to have her put down - it just broke my heart.

I feel your pain, bud. Prayers for you and your family.

Paddlefish
03-16-2008, 10:18 PM
I am a dog lover myself. I have buried a lot of 4 legged friends and it never gets any easier. I will however, always have a dog or dogs as long as I can take care of them. There ain't nothing like a good dog.

bamafisherlady
03-16-2008, 10:22 PM
Hey, it's okay to mourn. Loss of any kind is very painful and emtional. From the sounds of it, you gave her a great home and plenty of love and attention. If dogs could speak, she'd would have probably said, "thanks for the wonderful times." And that is what will help you in the days ahead when you are lonely and missing her, remembering all the good times that made your bond so special.

As one who has been there, I'll be thinking of you and praying for you.

JimmyC
03-16-2008, 10:23 PM
Sorry for your loss, BRF. I haven't had a dog since my Brownie passed away six years ago. I still miss her. Hope you and your family are holding up as well as you guys can. Take care.

ALflygirl
03-16-2008, 10:25 PM
Dwayne and Rebecca
Sorry for the loss of your friend. We have a boxer and a boston terrier and they are our kids. I don't even want to think about losing one of them. We nearly lost the boston last year and it was horrible. Our thoughts are with you!

Rachel

scflyfisher
03-17-2008, 09:31 AM
Dwayne,

Very sorry to hear about your loss. This is Bela who my wife and I lost back in December:

http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u307/belawela/Neely009.jpg

Seems like a similar situation to yours. Bela always liked my wife, but she had a level of devotion to me that did not exist with anyone else. We have two other dogs and they didn't act right for at least a month after Bela was put down. I didn't even want to be in my house for several days after it happened. Our home just felt empty without her.

All I can do is speak from experience and say it does get better with time. I can look back and realize I was fortunate to have Bela for the time I did. Sorry for your loss.

Matt

fishNlady
03-17-2008, 09:47 AM
Dwayne,

So sorry for your loss. We have a 13 year old cat that has been such a joy and such a big part of our family. I know when her time comes it will be very hard for all of my family.

But we will see them again one day. I believe that too.

Bran
03-17-2008, 09:57 AM
Hi folks,
I am really sorry for your loss, nothing wrong with a grown man crying over a good dog lost, something is wrong with a man that wouldn't. I think a whole lot of my whole gang- a black lab (13 yo) and 2 German shorthairs, I have even become fond of my daughter's cat despite myself!
Samuel Clements (Mark Twain) wrote in "Puddn Head Wilson's" calender the following which I have found to be very true: "If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man."---Bran

BlueRaiderFan
03-17-2008, 10:22 AM
Wow guys, what can I say...Thanks for all of your well wishes and sympathy. My wife read this enitre thread with me and she wanted to say thank you for sharing your stories and your sympathy. Just reading about your experiences is helping us in our grieving process. If you are ever in heaven and see yellow lab with a polka dot collar that just can't seem to contain her excitement for people, squeaky toys and cuddling...that'll be her.

Rog 1
03-17-2008, 10:41 AM
After my divorce I was paid for a set of golf clubs I had sold to a friend with a black lab puppy .... best deal I ever made....immediately named her Smoky Brook of Elkmont after my favorite place in the world...remarried a mountain loving, dog loving woman and Smoky helped raised our son for 13 years....she died three years ago in the middle of a hurricane and her passing was a low point in all of our lives so I know and feel the hurt you are going through right now....Smoky camped and played in the LR at Elkmont on many a trip and I later returned a part of her there....we now have another lab...Brookie Girl of Elkmont...name was my son's idea....and while she is another great dog there is still a piece of my soul that belongs to that first dog.

BlueRaiderFan
03-17-2008, 06:53 PM
Rog,

Thanks for sharing that. It's good to know that others have had a similar experience because I was worried that I was too upset, but I see now that I wasn't. I really love your story. BTW I didn't know that you could take dogs up to Treemont! Is it legal, or did you just sneak them in?

Dwayne

Plunker
03-17-2008, 11:00 PM
Breaks my heart that you have lost your Friend. Feel your pain having lost our first dog three years ago after 15 wonderful, love filled years.

Regardless of your spiritual belief....know this...you will see your "Pretty Girl" again. One day, maybe not tomorrow, or next week, or next year... you will see Pretty Girl staring at you from behind the eager eyes of another willing and deserving companion. Take comfort that your Pretty Girl will see to that from beyond.

Take care, and keep her in your heart. Their love lives on.

Chuckwalla
03-18-2008, 07:41 AM
Sorry about your loss. I'm really dreading the day we lose Daisy, our Brittany. I understand how you feel and what she meant to your family.

BlueRaiderFan
03-18-2008, 08:20 AM
Thanks again to everyone for your kind words and sharing your experiences. It will be difficult to get over, but you guys helped tremendously.

Grumpy
03-18-2008, 08:23 AM
I'm sorry to hear of your loss, that's why i always have two owners(dogs), i've lost several retrievers over the years to old age, thefts & one car, the guy never stopped & i was in the yard. I can't blame him for hitting the dog, it ran across the road, i can blame him for not being man enough to stop & say i'm sorry.
For the ones that stole my two Chesapeke's, i hope they turned ino Cujo & ate them alive.
It's a tough loss, a trip to the dog pound or rescue groups can cure that, we were meant to be owned by the 4 legged creatures, we just think we own them, i couldn't imagine life w/o a dog in it, go ahead start looking for your next owner.

Grumpy

BlueRaiderFan
03-18-2008, 08:30 AM
Grumpy,

Thanks, I know what you mean about them owning us. I have two males left, but they just aren't the same. At least that's how I feel right now. She will be hard to get over because she was just so sweet and man that dog loved me. I guess we did the right thing with all of the problems she was having.

Rog 1
03-18-2008, 08:49 AM
BRF...Smoky camped with us at Elkmont in the campground...dogs are OK in the campground and on the roads....even read where they are ok on the LR trail out of Gatlinburg....a couple of times she slipped her leash accidentally and got to swim around Metcalf Bottoms....watching her try to grab stuff off the bottom was a hoot....she also got several trips up there to play in the snow which was a riot to see how a Florida dog reacted to the white stuff...hard to imagine living now without a four legged "child" around....don't ever stop retelling all the good times to anyone who will listen....

scflyfisher
03-18-2008, 08:52 AM
Dwayne,

My house is the same way. We still have two left after we put Bela down in December. I like the other two and they like me. However, they love my wife . Bela treated me like your dog treated you. She liked other people, but she lived for me. There was a level of devotion to me that can't be explained to others. I'm guessing you know exactly what I'm talking about.

My biggest temptation was to hurry and get another one after I put her down. It will be tough the next time I get a dog like her, b/c my tendency will be to compare it to Bela and expect the same experience I had with Bela. Someday I will have another one, but I its going to be a while before I'm ready to get attached to a dog the way I was with Bela.

I'm good friends with my vet, and the best thing he said to me was : " whats the point in having them if your not gonna love them and get attached to them?" It's always going to be like this when they die. If I would have known how things would end 5 years ago when I got Bela, it wouldn't have stopped me from getting her. The 5 years I had her was worth much more than the heartache.

Plunker
03-18-2008, 11:18 AM
You said it Grumpy!
My wife and I are just lucky that our Westie allows us to live with her!

AKC lists Westies as having "No Small amount of self esteem" in the breed standard...she has no idea that she isn't a 110# Bull Mastiff.

Nothing quite like waking up in her bed with that tiny little garbage chute winking at you because sometime during the night she decided that my cheek is the best place to park the backside:eek:

Always remember the good times BlueRaider...stinky as they may be:p

BlueRaiderFan
03-18-2008, 05:16 PM
Thanks guys, I love hearing people with similar experiences and all the stories. I realize that I had a good run with her and it is rare that I bond with a dog like I did that one. The funny things is, when I got her, I just wanted a dog to put in my back yard to keep an eye on things. The next thing I know, she's in the house, sleeping in my bed. What a sweetie. It still bothers me a bit that it was mostly a financial decision, but the vet was talking monthly meds in the range of $100-$300 and I just couldn't do it. Of course I get the stinkin Orvis Pet Catalog in the mail as soon as we get back and it has yellow lab pups all through the darn thing...It didn't help.

Plunker
03-18-2008, 11:16 PM
Think about the financial decision this way. If you could have gotten her back to 100% no amount would have been too much. And I'm sure you would think that way. Question is would the continuing medication have gotten her back to 100%? Probably not.

Sorry for the cliche' but those decisions really are about a "quality of life".

guerillafish
03-19-2008, 04:05 PM
So sorry to hear that BRF. My thoughts are with you.

TroutDude
03-19-2008, 06:31 PM
My heart felt sorrow goes out to you!

I found 2 strays wondering together about 6 years ago. I had to put Sam (dalmation border collie mix) down about a year ago and it broke my heart. Luckily I still have Pete (beagle mix.) He helped keep me sane. I dread the day Pete has to leave.

BlueRaiderFan
03-19-2008, 06:34 PM
Thanks for all of your thoughts and concern.

Paula Begley
03-19-2008, 07:08 PM
BRF...

A year and a half ago, our girl springer, Gibbon, got a toxic reaction to an antibiotic that she had taken all her life...she gets urinary tract infections usually once a year. Anyway, she went into liver shut down and spent 5 days in ICU at UT vet hospital. It was a very expensive bill...and she has been great ever since. Still, given that she is almost 14 (May 31), I don't know if we would do that again.

I love her with all my being...she's mommy's girl...but.

Don't regret your decision. Rejoice in the time you had with her. That's what I will do when Gibbon (and Madison) are gone.

Paula

WNCFLY
03-20-2008, 08:02 AM
Very sorry for your loss. I found a scraggly little mutt on the road about three years ago and have had him ever since. He has turned out to be my best friend. He is there when i go to bed and wake up every morning. No matter what kind of day I have had he is there at the door to greet me everyday when I come home from work. I went through some really tough time a few years back and I believe nothing helped me more than that little dog. I live alone bur never felt alone. Well to make a long story short, I will definitely be shedding some tears one day when my little buddy is called up. Nothing wrong with that.

This is copper after a fresh hair cut.
http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa197/WNCFLY/Copper1.jpg

BlueRaiderFan
03-20-2008, 01:13 PM
Dogs are the best companions IMO. Well, I guess my wife takes first place, but after that, I have to say it's the dog.