PDA

View Full Version : Rods and Reels

BlueRaiderFan
03-18-2008, 05:19 PM
What length and weight rods and reels do you guys use. I have a 8'6" six weight rod that seems big in the park. I'm thinking of getting one around 6' and three weight.

patillac
03-18-2008, 06:44 PM
I use either an 8' 4wt. or a 8' 3" 3wt. rod in the park. By big, do you mean long, or heavy/stiff/too much rod for an 8" fish? For me, the pro's of an 8' rod (extra reach, nymphing, looks cool) outweigh the con's (hitting trees, etc.) by far.

patillac
03-18-2008, 06:48 PM
Oh yea, reels. I like one only big enough to hold my line (as light as possible). I shorten the line to fit.

BlueRaiderFan
03-18-2008, 07:23 PM
Yeah, I meant too big to cast without getting hung up. I guess I meant too long. Thanks for sharing. I was thinking of taking mine back, but I think I'll keep it now.

jeffnles1
03-18-2008, 08:42 PM
I have a7'6" 3wt and a 9' 5wt. They both have their place and their pros and cons. The short rod is nice when there's a lot of stuff overhead and it's just a lot of fun to fish. The longer one is better for high sticking and for keeping your fly line out of the water when there are a lot of conflicting currents pulling your line in 15 different directions at the same time.

I like them both for different reasons.

6wt may be a little more than you need in the park for the size of fish and bugs you're likely after. Of course, you really need to think of where you'll be using the rod the most and what you're after for most of your fishing. If it is only for the park, I'd probably go with a 3 or 4 wt. I use a 5wt in most of my fishing for bass and bluegill and it is also fine for the couple times a year I make it to the park to fish. I also like the 3wt on some of the small streams around here to fish for sunfish and bluegill. It is also fine in the park.

I hope this helps.

Jeff

BlueRaiderFan
03-18-2008, 09:03 PM
Jeff,

Thanks. I think I may get a smaller set up for the mountain streams.

BRF

ijsouth
03-18-2008, 10:18 PM
I wouldn't skimp too much on the length, even if you're fishing in tight conditions; it's easier to control your fly with a longer rod, and there are always ways to get around the brush, if you're creative. I have a 3wt that's a shade under 7ft, and a 2wt that is a little over 7ft, and those are my rods for the park. If I targeted the bigger fish in the larger streams, I might go with a heavier outfit, but I tend to stay with the smaller streams.

Grumpy
03-18-2008, 11:01 PM
I tried fishing a 6' rod one day on a blue line, it worked me to death, nothing shorter than 7' from then on, reels, all ya need is a line holder.

Grumpy

Plunker
03-18-2008, 11:43 PM
I have a TFO pro 7'6" uplined with a 4wt Dbl.taper (on the advice of Gerry Romer here) It worked like a charm on my last trip to the park. I also had a 9' 5wt with me as well. I kept finding the 3wt in my hand while there, and often find it in my hand when fishing our Sipsey River Tailwater...seems to make 8" stockers a bit more interesting.

ttas67
03-19-2008, 02:13 AM
8ft is about the perfect length for me. I too thought a 6'6" 2wt would be cool to fish in the park. I used it for a while then sold it. it is a blast to fish on occasion, but it's not too versitle. I'd suggest anything from a 7'6" to 8'6" in a 3 or 4 wt. my 2 cents.....

PeteCz
03-19-2008, 08:57 AM
I have a 7'6" 3wt TFO Pro that I really enjoy. However, I think an 8' or 8'6" 3wt may be a bit more versatile in the park. While the shorter rod will help keep you out of the overhanging stuff, I would have really liked to have some extra length to keep the fly line off the water and out of conflicting currents.

I have a cheap Scientific Anglers reel ($29?). For the park, I can't imagine a reel is used for anything other than holding line. If you are fishing on bigger waters, than you really need to think about reels...

BlueRaiderFan
03-19-2008, 09:41 AM
Guys, thanks for the advice. I think I may be o.k. with this rod after all. It may be a bit heavy being a 6wt, but I don't think it is so much that I can't use it in the park according to what I've read here. Besides, it will be great for use on rivers as well.

Gerry Romer
03-19-2008, 12:37 PM
My choices have been pretty much determined by the type of fishing I intend to do. I've got an 8' 3 wt. (used with either a 3wt FWF or overlined with RIO's new Nymph line), and an 8'6" TFO 4wt (used with either a 5wt FWF or RIO's Nymph line in a 6wt.)

In the park, if I'm going nymphing, I end up fishing the TFO almost exclusively. I just feel that the St. Croix 3 wt Avid just doesn't have enough backbone to be throwing nymphs around all day... it wears me out and the backcast is less efficient, leading to more bird's nests than I care to Deal with. But it's great for delicate presentation of dries. So I know that if I intend to spend a day throwing nothing but dries, I'll take my little 3wt -- it's just more fun!

Truthfully, though, that TFO has become the workhorse. Probably because I just can't seem to commit to an entire day of either nymphing or dry flies. It may seem silly, but that extra 6" makes a big difference when highsticking.

Gerry

WNCFLY
03-19-2008, 03:37 PM
4wt 7 1/2 ft orvis superfine rod and a large arbor Ross cimarron reel. I really do like my current setup.

Gerry Romer
03-19-2008, 05:23 PM
4wt 7 1/2 ft orvis superfine rod and a large arbor Ross cimarron reel. I really do like my current setup.

Who wouldn't??

Me?? Jealous??... nah. not one bit.....:biggrin:

czkid
03-20-2008, 12:22 AM
For me, anything under 7 ft and a 4wt are a waste. But then I fish nothing but bamboo rods and silk lines... so what the heck do I know??? The real shorty rods are so specialized that they will rarely get used unless you live in an unusual area.

My park rods are an 8ft, 5wt and usually a 7ft, 4wt depending on the stream I'm on.

WNCFLY
03-20-2008, 07:41 AM
Has anyone picked up the Orvis trout bum 2wt 6ft rod. I was "playing" with it at a fly shop the other day and couldn't get over how light it was. I would love to take it in one of the small headwater streams in the park. I figure 6ft is way to small for most people, but it would be a lot of fun. The big problem is that it costs $475. I just cant dish that out with the way money is these days.

txbrown
03-20-2008, 10:20 AM
I use a 8ft 2wt TFO pro for dries in the park and love it. It is a great brookie rod because you can still high stick pocket water. I have been playing with a 6'3" 3wt medium action for nymphs this week. It is my bluegill rod and I pitch only very small poppers and 12-16 bead head buggers for them. It has been fun on hook ups but can be a bit of work with line control in fast water. During summer it might work better with lower flows but I would stick with a 8+ft 4 or 5 wt for nymphs depending upon your other type of fishing. I went back to one yesterday and caught more fish.

ccmmcc
03-20-2008, 05:14 PM
95% of the time I use a 9' 4wt in the mountains, and yes, even on small streams. If it is really small, with overhanging brush, I use a 7' 3wt. I like to use a long rod and keep line off of the water. I also like to high stick nymph, so the longer rod really comes in hand.

BlueRaiderFan
03-20-2008, 10:39 PM
Has anyone picked up the Orvis trout bum 2wt 6ft rod. I was "playing" with it at a fly shop the other day and couldn't get over how light it was. I would love to take it in one of the small headwater streams in the park. I figure 6ft is way to small for most people, but it would be a lot of fun. The big problem is that it costs $475. I just cant dish that out with the way money is these days.

I haven't seen it, but I will look in my catalog. I love looking at Orvis catalogs.

FRW
03-21-2008, 11:53 AM
I use one of two. Either a 6.5 ft Orvis, 4 wgt or a 7.25 ft Bamboo, 4 wgt. I used to use an 8 footer, but I got hung up too often so I went to the shorter rods. I use the 8 footer and a nine footer(5 wgt) on the Clinch and when I go to Michigan.

As for reels I use an Orvis large arbor with two spools. One for dry flies and one for wets, nymphs and streamers