PDA

View Full Version : Windy Clinch

Flyfishjeep
03-18-2008, 06:37 PM
Fished today from 2pm until about 4 and caught my first Trout on a nymph!
It was a beautiful chunky Rainbow that came to hand on a nymph that Fishermansfly gave to me last night.
The rest of the time was me re-tieing a new leader and flies on after the wind made a birds nest of my line. And the aquatic crap that was floating down river, and that coated the rocks was very annoying. I can't remember the name of that stuff, but I remember that someone posted about it and the hazard it can and has caused.

There was another guy who hadn't caught anything, so I felt good about the fish I did catch.

Overall- it was great to finally get on the water!

tn scout
03-18-2008, 08:33 PM
Hope it wasn't Didymo.

Brook Fan
03-18-2008, 09:03 PM
It is Didymo the TWRA has posting all over about it

Fishermansfly
03-18-2008, 10:12 PM
The clinch has the worst didymo of any tailwater in east tn!

No doubt didymo...looks like brown cotton candy!

Congrats on that lil fatty Ben!

Glad to hear it worked.

~Brett

Flat Fly n
03-18-2008, 10:42 PM
Tip.........Wind = scud imatations
They swim, in a lunging motion. The wind with an indicator causes that same motion.

BTW. That's amphipoda or scud. The area above the weir used to be thick with scuds. They are still there as well as the rest of the river but not in the numbers they once were.

http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee78/tnflyfish/scudsfromONEfish.jpg

Picture from one dead fish years ago. Note bait hook. Think there is some calories in those vs midge larvae?

monktrout
03-19-2008, 07:40 AM
Fished the jail section of the Clinch on Tuesday afternoon. Wind really picked up. Did not see even one rise. Used a tandem rig with heavy fly for weight and attention came off the eye about a foot with a small BHPT. Caught two nice rainbows on the BHPT, two others got off. The Hy 61 section will slowly improve over the next two weeks. The didymo is the thickest I have ever seen. Will clean my boots and waders today.

Flyfishjeep
03-19-2008, 04:48 PM
Monktrout,
Did you pull up and fish when there was a red Jeep Wrangler parked, or were already in the river?
I was there on Tues afternoon and spoke with one guy in the river, and another pulled up in a truck.
Should have known it was someone from the board fishing.

monktrout
03-20-2008, 04:25 PM
FlyFishJeep, I do remember a red jeep by the church. Also someone came down and asked if I was using dries or nymphs. You? Sorry we didn't have a chance to get acquainted. Would have enjoyed talking to you. See you soon. Monk

Flyfishjeep
03-20-2008, 08:12 PM
Monktrout, that was me. I too should have asked. Hopefully we will both have better luck next time.