PDA

View Full Version : Bears and snakes

hedge
03-20-2008, 12:06 AM
Just wondering when the bears and those long, skinny things that slink around on their bellies return to the park from wherever they spend winter.

I certainly respect the bears, but don't really fear them. Saw a small one at Cade's Cove on my first GSMNP trip about two years ago and he was gone before I could even get a picture.

Snakes are another matter. Don't like them. Do fear them. All kinds.

In May 2007 I was preparing to fish at Metcalf and was walking down a path when a rather large snake appeared ahead of me. Didn't stay around long enough to get introduced. I left there at about the same speed as that bear avoided me.

Plenty of other places to fish, I figured. Mr. Snake could have that one to himself.

See y'all soon, Hedge.

mtnman2888
03-20-2008, 04:53 AM
I'd say the bears are already out, in fact i think i remember someone on here talking about how they saw one, but maybe i'm wrong.

The snakes i'm on the fence about, i'm not really sure. You can bet that if they are out now though, they will be perched up on top of a rock in the sunlight or somewhere that reflects heat right now until it warms up a little more.

Just a little something that i've found true: If you go out looking for snakes, then you'll find them. Sure, you'll run across one every now and then if you're not looking for them, i mean it's impossible not to crawling around in the woods like us fly fishermen do, but don't look for them.

Craig

buzzmcmanus
03-20-2008, 08:46 AM
Just a little something that i've found true: If you go out looking for snakes, then you'll find them. Sure, you'll run across one every now and then if you're not looking for them, i mean it's impossible not to crawling around in the woods like us fly fishermen do, but don't look for them.

Craig

A more true statement couldn't have been said.

* Disclaimer* I am not a biologist. Just someone who spends an awful lot of time in the outdoors.

I see bears and bear tracks all winter long. I have heard that the male bears in TN don't really hibernate. They just go into a deep sleep then wake-up and wonder around every now and then. From what I see, I have to believe that this is true. I understand that the females stay denned with their young ones all winter. Just this past Sunday I did see some tracks of a female with 2 cubs, so they are coming out of their dens now. One of the reasons TWRA has the longer bear season in December is because the females are in their dens and the males are still out and it reduces the harvest of the female bears.

As for the snakes, I have not seen the first one this year. However, it's about time for them to come out. You'll start seeing them hit on the road when they come out. The sun heats the asphalt through the day and when it starts cooling down in the evenings, the snakes will lay on it to stay warm.

WNCFLY
03-20-2008, 08:48 AM
Check out the thread on here about bears. It will give you some what of a idea of what your looking for. I will bump it back to the top of the board.

mtnman2888
03-20-2008, 09:30 AM
I, too, have found bear tracks in the winter. In fact, i've found them in the snow before and i have a picture of it. If i remember i will put it up when i get home. I've never run across one in the winter, however, but i'm sure they are out there.

Craig

PeteCz
03-20-2008, 09:33 AM
I have heard that the male bears in TN don't really hibernate.

Buzz, you're right on. I spoke with a Park Ranger last week and he cleared that up for me. I had always assumed that bears hibernate, but due to our mild winters here in the Smokies, they only take long naps from time to time.

Campsites 15 and 17 had been closed all fall and winter due to bear activity. They recently opened 17 (last weekend), but 15 still remains closed. So its possible to come across bears all year long.

txbrown
03-20-2008, 10:49 AM
My sons and I are camping in the park this week. We have seen a snake sunning on the rock and bear tracks on a beach by the river. I watch for bears because of my boys and every time I have seen one they have not. Never had a bad situation - always a reasonable distance. I agree with not looking for snakes - I don't know and I don't want to know.

buzzmcmanus
03-20-2008, 11:08 AM
Let me start off by saying that I'm scared to death of snakes, my wife's not. My wife and I were fishing on the Bald River several years ago. We were standing streamside and my wife looks at me and calmly says "hey look, a copperhead". I naturally froze in mid step. While delicately balancing on 1 toe I whispered "where". I figured if I made any noise above a whisper, the snake would hear fear in my voice and come straight for me. My wife, still calm, replied "right by my left boot, halfway under the rock". By this time, my heart was beating harder and faster than it has ever beaten in my life. My wife and I disagree as to what happened next, but I remember it like yesterday. I jumped in between my wife and the snake, whisked her off her feet and carried her to safety. My wife will claim that I went running down the path squeeling like a little girl. However, while fishing the rest of the day, I was "looking for snakes", and saw them everywhere. I was amazed at how many snakes are actually out there.

mtnman2888
03-20-2008, 01:01 PM
Yeah it's amazing how many snakes you will see if you are keeping an eye out for them. In years prior, i always kept a look out for them and saw tons, but last year i didn't pay any attention and the only snake i saw all year long was up on lynn camp in april. Of course, no one really knows how many snakes we come in close proximity to while fishing and i don't think i want to know!

Craig

sammcdonald
03-20-2008, 02:46 PM
look very closely for the snake......that's how well they hide.
sam

Shaggy
03-20-2008, 05:41 PM
I hate you all for this!!:eek:

Can you not just post that there are very little snakes!

sammcdonald
03-20-2008, 05:51 PM
from acorns mighty oaks to grow........
and from little snakes do bigger ones grow

can you see the snake in my avatar??? be careful out there!

bugg
03-20-2008, 07:24 PM
fellas, come on now...you are grown men for cryin out loud...snakes don't want anything to do with humans and will always go away from you unless you mess with it and make it mad. just watch your step and everything will be alright. if you will watch them for a minute you might actually see how magnificent these animals really are, but they do require a fair amount of respect

not trying to step on any toes or call anybody out, just trying to educate

David Knapp
03-20-2008, 07:26 PM
Last spring on Little River...

http://photo.ringo.com/210/210503807O551862297.jpg

txbrown
03-20-2008, 10:39 PM
I hope those copperheadedrattlemocassins were on the Little River in Nebraska.:eek:

BamaBum
03-20-2008, 11:29 PM
Last June, I was fishing Metcalf and minding my own bussiness when a snake decided he needed to be on the rock I was on. I poked at him with my rod. He simply pulled his head back and then kept coming. I poked again and made this really wierd grunt/moan/roar....he pulled his head back and then kept coming. He was now about 4 feet away, I then poked at him really hard and broke my rod in 3 places, began to dance and slipped on some of that really slick green moss, fell flat on my back and began to squeel like a 7th grade girl at a Justin Timberlake concert.......I did get a new St. Croix Rod out of it and learned one thing about myself, I really hate snakes!!!!!!:biggrin:

Plunker
03-20-2008, 11:32 PM
Hebejebee hebejebee heebeejeebee.:eek:

Dang! I was just enjoying the beginning of spring....and now I'm waiting for it to snow again!

heebejeebee heebeejeebee:eek:

Really! it's ok! I didn't wanna sleep tonight anyway!

bugg
03-20-2008, 11:53 PM
Last spring on Little River...

http://photo.ringo.com/210/210503807O551862297.jpg
while this may look terrifying, these are not poisonous. they resemble copperheads, but the head is not a copperhead. no worries, just go around

David Knapp
03-21-2008, 12:09 AM
while this may look terrifying, these are not poisonous. they resemble copperheads, but the head is not a copperhead. no worries, just go around

Ah come on now bugg, you're ruining my fun...;)...hehehe...those are actually copperheaded rattlesnakes and are among the most deadly in the world...I would recommend that everyone cease fishing LR immediately...I'll let ya'll know when its safe to return...:rolleyes:

bugg
03-21-2008, 12:46 AM
haha! i hear ya...well, i'll be on the lookout. don't those guys get like 15ft. long and outrun horses?

fishNlady
03-21-2008, 12:53 AM
:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:
Might as well drag the coffee pot back out...After that picture....I won't be sleeping much tonight anyway! :rolleyes:

Plunker
03-21-2008, 03:41 PM
The G@&^%$%##%#@%@%%&*!!!!~(^$&g (G@&^%$%##%#@%@%%&*!!!!~(^$&g) things were under my bed last night!
:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

mtnman2888
03-21-2008, 04:57 PM
I know that this thread has took a turn towards the slithery creatures that we all love to hate, but here is the picture i mentioned about the bear tracks in the snow. It was taken around christmas time of 06.

http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m229/mtnman2888/FishingElkRiver12-27-06022.jpg

Craig

Brian Griffing
03-22-2008, 09:26 AM
That's clearly a yeti track. I hear he prowls the mountains at dusk looking for "yuppie flyfishermen".

ccmmcc
03-22-2008, 09:33 AM
It's been my experience that the areas most infested with snakes are the areas that don't get much attention in the park. Greenbriar has quite a few snakes and even Elkmont has been known to harbor a good amount. But, I am telling you, Citico/Tellico/Bald/North rivers are covered in snakes. If you are looking to see snakes, then go there. Of course, the fishing isn't very good in those areas, but you will see some of the largest snakes in Tennessee and North Carolina. Don't even get me started on the bears...

The safest place to fish without encountering snakes or bears is on Litte River along Little River road. I know some people are going to accuse me of scaring people so that they stay on the main drag and leave the other areas for me, but, that isn't very true......:cool:

David Knapp
03-22-2008, 10:13 AM
On Little River Road.....:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

http://photo.ringo.com/234/234598824O487626061.jpg

Brian Griffing
03-22-2008, 10:30 AM
Here's a picture of me wrestling one out of the Glory Hole. I let him go after this so I would definitely watch out if you go up there.

http://www.extremescience.com/images/dead-anaconda.jpg

dropper
03-22-2008, 10:40 AM
looks like you are trying to get your rod back he swallowed.