PDA

View Full Version : Cooking trout?

WNCFLY
03-20-2008, 08:16 AM
I love to do some back country fishing and have a good meal of trout. I release 98% of the trout I catch, but there is nothing better than a long day on the river with a mess of trout by a campfire in the middle of nowhere. How do you guys like to cook your trout? I have heard they are good with ramps or maybe corn meal. I am looking for any good "old" timer recipes I can get. Lets hear it..

ThatredneckguyJamie
03-20-2008, 09:21 AM
Down here in Fl we have Speckled trout (saltwater) My fav way to cook it is to leave the fish whole, cleaned and gutted of course, wrap it up in some tin foil with butter, cracked pepper, some bay leaves and 2 lemons sliced up kinda thick. Mmm Mmm Mmm

buzzmcmanus
03-20-2008, 09:58 AM
gutted, gills removed, head on, rolled in corn meal and fried.

Flyfishjeep
03-20-2008, 11:48 AM
Both of the above sound great.
I cook my like Buzz does.
The fins become potatoe chips.
If you are backcountry you may not be lugging in oil for frying, so I would stick the the pepper and lemons. Being able to taste the goodness of fresh trout is what you want. Don't mess it up by adding too many spices or toppings.

buzzmcmanus
03-20-2008, 12:50 PM
Both of the above sound great.
I cook my like Buzz does.
The fins become potatoe chips.

I was actually going to say that you can eat the tail and fins like potato chips, but I didn't think anyone would know what I was talking about. Glad to know I'm not the only one that does that.

JimmyC
03-20-2008, 01:10 PM
Just filet and fry, scales on, wrapped (or not) in some foil..... yummmmm. I'll take this opportunity to say lake trout is the finest of all.

Waterborn
03-20-2008, 01:12 PM
If I know I'm gonna fry some up when camping I'll pre pack a ziplock with cornmeal,garlic salt, cayenne and black pepper...in which you toss a field dressed trout in and then into a little film can worths of peanut oied pan it all goes...or if I'm car camping. I'll splurge and fry some bacon up first and then lay the cornmeal caked trout in the grease...ain't nothing better...

ccmmcc
03-20-2008, 05:18 PM
Not neccesarily the tastiest method, but quite easy; gut the trout and then skewer it on a green stick and roast over a small fire. Maybe a little salt and pepper.

I am happy to hear that no one has apologized for eating trout...

fishNlady
03-20-2008, 05:39 PM
Zatarain's Seasoned Fish Fri. Crispy Southern style! Filet, roll in the Zatarain's and cook in a dutch oven with cut up potatoes,(with skins on) and chopped onions. Yummy!

sammcdonald
03-20-2008, 05:58 PM
i don't cook trout in the back country......smell draws all kinda critters...and ya can't sleep in ya cookin' clothes ya gotta hangem with the other stuff on the bear wire....

Waterborn
03-20-2008, 07:40 PM
All kinda critters taste good rolled in corn meal too :rolleyes:

Speckleman5
03-20-2008, 09:06 PM
Corn meal and a gutted Speckle is the best meal a man can have in the woods. Sometimes, if we take out all day, I'll tote a small stove and pan with me and fry some up on a good little rockbar on the side of creek, if I can find somewhere level to cook on. Eating in the middle of the creek may be my favorite way to go.

ThatredneckguyJamie
03-21-2008, 07:28 AM
I was hoping to keep a couple next week and cook em up...looks like I decided to go a week too early :( catch and release only

sammcdonald
03-21-2008, 06:35 PM
jamie....no delayed harvest in the park. that's in g'burg waters.

flyman
03-21-2008, 10:53 PM
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y166/flyman1/fishing%20and%20misc%20flies/untitled.jpg

Flyfishjeep
03-22-2008, 05:22 PM
You guy's were eating well that night!
What's cooking in the dutch oven?

Rog 1
03-24-2008, 09:12 AM
Car camping its a full blown fish fry with crispy chips and hush puppies...until it closed last year I would always dust them critters in some Temple cornmeal...in the backcountry I have gone both ways....easiest is the foil with a little butter and a couple lemon wedges...a sprig of rosemary in the cavity is great....if I am in one spot for more than a couple of days I will even bring in a couple of eggs and some bacon....will build a little fridge in the creek and cover with a big flat rock....always clean the fish away from the campsite in the river....usually a big fire will burn away most of the remains.....salt and pepper is usually the limit on the spices....got to be able to taste the taste.

snaildarter
03-25-2008, 08:57 PM
My favorite way to eat trout in the back country is when someone else goes through the trouble of cooking them. It just seems like a lot of trouble (except for the trout-on-a-stick method mentioned above). Otherwise I usually eat rehydrated noodles and chicken.

Unless I'm car-camping, and in that case, I usually bring steaks, bacon, eggs, the works.

hw3
03-26-2008, 06:18 PM
I will bet I'm the only one who will allow this method of how to easy cook trout in the woods. I still carry an old US Army mess kit, because of the shallow pan water boils really fast, and I like to simply gut/gill them, and poach them in just enough water to cover the fish while boiling. Do not remove any slime. A little salt in the water. Skin lifts off, and if done right, de-boning is also easy. Season after to taste. Not much cleanup. Skip Watson

Aaron871
03-26-2008, 07:41 PM
How much ya bettin.....?

http://forums.off-road.com/attachments/test-stuff-here/73616d1206574693t-driver-mess-kit-001.jpg

http://forums.off-road.com/attachments/test-stuff-here/73617d1206574765t-driver-mess-kit-002.jpg

and how old is your kit, mine is stamped 1918 but I don't know if that means.......

ijsouth
03-29-2008, 10:28 PM
I just cooked two rainbows we caught a couple of days ago on Lynn Camp; I marinated them in lime juice, and sprinkled them with a little Paul Prudhomme tuna seasoning...since there wasn't enough trout to go around, I picked up a few tuna steaks as well. I grilled them for a few minutes, and it was delicious. We're going to have to go back next month - I'd like to get a few more about that size, before that stream is closed.

KnoxBioBenz
04-08-2008, 09:50 PM
I am in shock that no one mentioned my favorite way to cook trout in the backcountry. I pack in olive oil in a small liquor bottle the size of my thumb and just pan sear the little guys in a small frying pan with my favorite seasonings. UM UM