PDA

View Full Version : Cleats or no cleats?

fishNlady
03-20-2008, 05:31 PM
I recently bough a new pair of Chota wading boots and they came with a set of cleats to put on them. I've never used cleats before. Will they make wading safer in the park streams? Or would they make it trickier in some places?

tire guy
03-20-2008, 06:48 PM
With the rocks I do not use cleats. For me they slide on the hard surface. Around the tailwaters they are useful with the softer surfaces getting in and out of the water. But above all move slow and sure. Be safe a banged knee distracts from a good day out.

Byron Begley
03-20-2008, 09:05 PM
FishNlady,

I have the same boots you do but I don't use them in the Park unless I'm fishing Abrams Creek. I can't say that I have slipped on the round rocks on the Little River, but I don't feel confident with them there. If you bought them here and you don't like them, bring them back and get something else. They work great in the tailwaters and especially in Yellowstone on the lava rocks. There they grip like glue.

Byron

fishNlady
03-21-2008, 12:41 AM
FishNlady,

I have the same boots you do but I don't use them in the Park unless I'm fishing Abrams Creek. I can't say that I have slipped on the round rocks on the Little River, but I don't feel confident with them there. If you bought them here and you don't like them, bring them back and get something else. They work great in the tailwaters and especially in Yellowstone on the lava rocks. There they grip like glue.

Byron

Thanks, Byron

I did buy them from you guys at LRO. I have used them once last sunday at elkmont and metcalf without the cleats and I like them. They fit me much better than the built in boots on my old waders do. Since the cleats are removable. I think I'll keep them and just install the cleats when I'm on the tailwaters or Abram's creek. They are very comfortable boots. I was just curious what the pro/cons of cleats were before I put them on the boots and tried them.

monktrout
03-21-2008, 07:46 AM
fishNlady, I had a pair of Chota's and I left the cleats in all the time. Removing the cleats is more time consuming than you may think, especially after they get some wear on them. When my cleats needed replacing they were beat up, so I had to use vise grips to screw them out. I use studded wading boots all the time except in someones boat. Maybe it's my age but I almost always use a wading staff also.

Gerry Romer
03-21-2008, 12:56 PM
I've got a pair of Chota STL's with the removable cleats and a pair of Korkers with the interchangeable soles (I've got the lug soles, plain felt soles and the studded felt soles). I definitely save the cleats on both for the tailwaters.

I inadvertently ended up last year trying to fish the WPLP just below the Chimneys picnic area with the studded Chotas. Let me just say that it was a mistake I will not repeat! Most of the time I felt like I was ice skating on granite :eek:. Cleats on the wrong surface can be a good way to break an ankle. Sounds silly, but I've also noticed that, in the park, my non-studded soles allow me to "feel" the bottom better.

Gerry

mora521
05-17-2008, 10:58 PM
I have not used cleats or studs.I have seen way too many rocks with skid marks etched into them from the use of them so I have stayed away from them.

Plunker
05-18-2008, 05:54 PM
Of course they are permanently attached to my Boots...Granted you have to be careful on the dry rocks.....
"Light Grey rocks Baaaad"
"Green and Brown Rocks Goooood"
4 years and I haven't broken any thing yet (Knock on wood)

Please don't hold people who are careless, and don't know how to walk against those of us who are mindful of our surroundings, and take care where we tread (on stream or off):eek: .

wynnsman
05-19-2008, 10:24 PM
I fish alot of tailwaters up in the tri cities and the water up here has alot of rock snot and moss so the cleats or sheet metal skrews I use work great.