PDA

View Full Version : Quick day friday in the NC high country

mtnman2888
03-21-2008, 05:07 PM
Hello all, made a trip up to boone thursday night to see my gf and while she had class friday morning i just happened to have my fishing stuff with me(!) so i went out for a short while. They had some snow on the ground thursday morning and with the temperature 28 degrees at 7 30 this morning, naturally the water was very cold. I actually thought it would be a little warmer but oh well.

Went to the wild portion of the watauga in foscoe, if you've always turned a blind eye to this section in favor of the stocked portion then i suggest you take a look. Started out with my favorite point fly, hugh hartsell's abrams creek searcher nymph and dropped a soft hackle pt behind it. Almost immediately after my first cast, i hooked up with the first fish of the day, a decent brown about 8". This became the rule of the day as the browns were abundant and willing to take the abrams creek nymph, although i did get a few takes on the pt. Nothing of any real size, but any time a good cast was made with a nice drift i was rewarded with a fish. Kinda tricky since the sun was at my back and i'm sure i screwed up more than my fair share of runs where fish were, but i can't complain. I only was able to get out for a couple hours but when it was all said and done i landed close to 20 fish, which was a pleasant surprise considering the water temperature. This stretch of water has always been good to me, though, and seems that it is slam full of fish. Definitely give it a shot if you are up that way. It's not the most scenic river in the world by no means, but it's good for a quick fix if you are up that way.

I took some pictures but not going to bother posting them, that will come tomorrow when my uncle and i go on our monthly trek into the wilderness in search of incredibly small, yet beautiful fish!

Craig

Jubal
03-24-2008, 09:50 PM
As an ASU alumni...and living just 40 minutes outside of Boone, I've hooked many a fish on Watauga as well. The section you fished can yield some good ones too. Good to see somebody here hook some NC trout.

mtnman2888
03-25-2008, 06:32 AM
Yeah it's not really my favorite piece of water, but it'll do for a quick fix. I don't really look at boone as a fly fishing destination, but it does have some options if you're up that way. I'm just not much of a dh fisherman so that definitely limits the opportunities in boone, although there are a couple of good wild streams in the immediate vicinity. There is really some good water on the other side of grandfather mtn......

Craig

Jubal
03-25-2008, 06:58 PM
No, Boone isn't a "destination" for me either, but there are plenty of good waters in Watauga County. It aint no GSMNP by any stretch but it's good fishing. I agree other side of Grandfather is better. My favorite wild streams are the northern part of Burke Co. A couple streams will yield a "slam" if you take your time. Brooks, browns and rainbows.