PDA

View Full Version : Boat Chains for steering

BuckeyeRick
03-24-2008, 09:27 AM
I caught a show on the White River and one of the guides talked about hanging a piece of chain over the front of a boat to help steady it in the current. Does anyone know anything about this trick? I'm in my 12 footer alone with just a trolling motor and wondered if this would help keep the boat straight? Does this work in stillwater? Thanks for any info.

Rockyraccoon
03-24-2008, 11:24 AM
Were they referring to a drag chain?

A drag chain hangs off the stern and slows the boat a little by dragging along the bottom, and the dragging action also causes the boat to drift downstream bow first.

A few words of caution though.

Drag chains can be dangerous in moderate or fast moving water. The possibility of hanging the chain is always a factor. Also, drag chains can destroy the river bottom and the micro eco systems along the bottom. Drag chains have been banned in a lot of places for this very reason.

Fishermansfly
03-24-2008, 11:41 AM
Hey Rocky, I followed the link just below your post...I'm planning on getting a boat here real soon, could you shoot me an email I have a question or two for you!

Fishermansfly@Gmail.com

~Brett

BuckeyeRick
03-24-2008, 11:52 AM
Thanks for the info Rocky. I didn't realize the chain had to be dragged - think I'll pass on that one.

Rockyraccoon
03-24-2008, 01:57 PM
I'll be happy to answer questions. Shoot me an email, my email address is tnrockyraccoon@comcast.net