PDA

View Full Version : Lower Holston Report

CinciVol
03-24-2008, 12:08 PM
I fished the Holston tailwater on saturday for a few hours in the afternoon. I had pretty good luck, caught probably 8 fish in 2-3 hours in the 10-14" range. There was very little surface activity and nearly all my fish were on the old reliable beadhead pheasant tail. About 3pm, I did see a few fish hitting on the surface (or possibly on emergers). I tied on an Elk-haired caddis, proceeded to immediately catch a fat 14" 'bow and was prepared to declare the 2008 Holston dry fly season on! However, an hour later, I became convinced that I had just hooked into the lone trout that was as excited about dry fly season as I was, not much happened after fish #1.

All in all, it was a good day. The wind was heavy and my leader looked like an hand-tied knotted leader by the end of the day. Kept the crowds away though, so it was not all bad.

EarlyBird
03-24-2008, 03:54 PM
Sounds like you had a good day! It about time for a group of us to get together and do some fishing.

CinciVol
03-26-2008, 10:52 AM
EB, I couldn't agree more. You heading out on Saturday? I'm thinking of hitting the Park as it is finally supposed to be warming up. Let me know what you're up to. Dave

mjenki14
03-26-2008, 02:40 PM
I just fished the lower Holston yesterday and the fishing was pretty good. Right when I got out there, there were a bunch of fish rising but not very aggressively. I caught a couple decent fish on some midges, but I was determined to catch some on a dry fly but had no luck. I tried Elk Hair Cadis, Male Adams, Sulfurs, and others and couldnt get even a hit on any of them. Does any one have any suggestions on what they might be feeding on? Maybe some emergers? I thought the Mayflies would be the first to hatch but I guess I am wrong.
Michael