PDA

View Full Version : Floating the Clinch

DanielMc
03-24-2008, 01:12 PM
Can I float the Clinch in Jon Boat (6 hp motor) with 1 or 2 generators going or am I staring death in the face? I just got a 12 foot Jon Boat and was thinking about this so I didn't have to take two vehicle and park down stream. Also, is it safe to go up to the dam and float back to the Weir dam?

Thanks! Any info would be appreciated.

Daniel Mc.

Flat Fly n
03-24-2008, 03:01 PM
I used to float the Clinch with one generator in a drift boat. Others were always out on one generator with jon boats. I didn't know they made a 10 footer.

Norris to weir? Better make sure of two things before you float it. That your motor starts EVERYTIME and your life insurance is paid up. Going over a continuous man made dam such as the weir is the most dangerous set of shoals or rapids one can do. There are no areas of dead water to escape to if you get sideways. I don't know the kayaking terms but I do know I heard this in a outdoor medical lecture on whitewater survival. Something about hydraulics?

PS...There are no fish above the weir that are worth risking your life over with 1-2 generators.

EarlyBird
03-24-2008, 03:49 PM
I do small floats on the clinch ALOT. I wouldn't fish from the weir to the dam with generators on. That water moves fast and if you don't know the river I wouldn't try it. From the weir down isn't bad with 1 gen on. Some of my friends and me did a 3 mile float. Rode the 1st wave from the gen to get over some shoals, but instead of running 1 (like the report said) they ran 2. That was one of the most dangerous trips I ever had on the clinch.

DanielMc
03-25-2008, 09:56 AM
Thanks all! Didn't think about the boat getting sideways. I guess that is the advantage of a canoe, drift boat or kayak.

bcunnin1
03-25-2008, 01:17 PM
Hydraulics are very dangerous, I have had a paddle get stuck in one and my dad met a guy who had his helmet sucked off in "Hells Hole" on the Occoee. Probably one of my biggest concerns when I kayak big water behind strainers and taking a rock to the face.

mikebone
03-25-2008, 08:24 PM
The Clinch is easily floatable in a small jonboat on one or two generators although the fishing will be much better with one. A 12 foot jonboat with a six horse should have no problem making headway back up the river on one generator and even two in most places, it will be slow against the current but fine for going back up short distances to refloat a productive area. 2 generators is a lot of current, somewhere between 6500 and 9800 cfs and it is cold,so wear life vests. Also it's a good idea to carry paddles for steering in case your motor fails. Floating above the wier with the generators running is very risky, especially with two generators. If your motor quits you might not be able to get to shore, and even though there is no hole or keeper hydraulics below the Clinch wier (because of the way it's constructed) you could easily tip a low sided jon boat. In short, it's not worth it. It's a great way to fish the Clinch. Just be sure to raise the motor when your floating in shallow water to avoid the ledges, and watch closely motoring up on one generator to avoid hittng your lower unit on the rocks. I know that sounds like a lot of warnings but it's really not that bad. I see guys floating it in jon boats all the time and they do well.

DanielMc
03-25-2008, 09:21 PM
Thanks Mike. Great information. I may try my luck starting out running up from 61 bridge and back down just to get used to it. I'll miss seeing you guys at the Creel. I guess I'll have to go to TU meetings to get my fix!

Best,

Daniel