PDA

View Full Version : I'm goin fishin, I'm goin fishin... on the Elk...

bamafisherlady
03-25-2008, 08:32 PM
Okay, someone out there posted about using a greenie weenie on the Elk this past week... how did you fish it? I'm just curoius. It has been a long time since I have been fishing and even longer since being on the Elk, and I am SOOO ready.

I know for most of you this is no big deal, but when you are a caregiver for elderly parents, these opportunities are very few and far between. Thanks for any input... I'll read the past posts again, but any suggestions for this time of year are appreciated.

ALflygirl
03-25-2008, 08:55 PM
bamafisherlady...so glad you are getting to go fishing and glad to see a fellow fly fisher lady from Bama on the board. The last time we went to the Elk about three weekends back they were actually hitting a dry! I was interested in using the green weenie the next time we fish up there though. Be sure to give a report when you get back and HAVE FUN!

BamaBum
03-25-2008, 10:27 PM
Bamafisherlady,

Go by Tim's Lies and Flies in Lynchburg. He will have what you need and can tell you what the "Elkies" are hitting. I called for generation scheduling today and it looks like TVA is in a pattern of 8 or so to 11 every morning. They are only running one generator but it will take a couple of hours before the water is safe enough to wade close to the bridge. I have ALWAYS had luck there with an Elk Hair Caddis #12 and a Zebra Midge dropper about 10 inches below. I usually catch Rainbows on the Zebra and at least one or so Brown on the Caddis. Weird, but these always work any time of year...

I am headed up that way Friday myself. Hope you have a great time and lots of luck!!!

bamafisherlady
03-26-2008, 12:07 AM
Thanks for the info... I printed it all out so far. I will check on the flies you mentioned...a stumpbuster? hadn't heard of that one though. Some I already have.

We play on canoeing down through the river, and pick up our bike at the end (near a bridge) and go back and pick up the car to pick up the canoes. Confusing, I know.

Is it better at the beginning or after you canoe down a ways? Fast water better than slow, etc.? Like I said it's been years since I have been. My friends will be chucking with ultralights, and I may as well, at some points; but I really, really want to fly fish. Looking forward to it.

Let me know how you do up there Friday, Bamabum.

Alflygirl, Good to see another fisher lady on the board as well. I have moved to Chatt, TN to take care of the folks for now. I am so close to the Hiwassee and yet so far away from being able to fish there. That is a good river to fish, one of my favorites. Beautiful scenery, good fish, and every now and then you get to see an eagle. You should give it a whirl sometime.

Thanks again, I'll let you know how I do or don't do. Just the pleasure of going fishing is enough for me. To catch; well, that'll just be icing on the cake!

Gerry Romer
03-26-2008, 01:51 PM
Look for a Slumpbuster (SL not ST) in John Barr's book Barr Flies. It's kind of a weird cross between a Zonker and a Wooly Bugger. On the HI I would see if I could find one in Black with maybe a red bead or some red flash or an Olive with rainbow flash and a gold bead. On the Elk?? No firsthand experience but I would think those two color combos would be worth a try...

Good luck! Have a great time and let us know how you did!!

Gerry Romer
03-27-2008, 04:10 PM
bamafisherlady --

Here's a link to a site with a good description of and instructions for tying Barr's Slumpbuster. I tie mine a bit differently but the overall profile and effect is pretty much the same. He recommends fishing it against a bank, but it also fishes well into and through deep runs and pools cast across or downstream to let the current help give it a natural swimming action.

Hope this helps.

http://www.charliesflyboxinc.com/flybox/details.cfm?parentID=37

bamafisherlady
03-27-2008, 09:19 PM
Thanks Gerry, an interesting looking fly indeed. Wish I had the time and PATIENCE one would need to tie flies. With all these great ideas people have given me, I think I'll head to Sportsman's Warehouse. I can hardly wait... I've checked everything twice, just need my new flies now, a license, and I am set to go.

bamafisherlady
03-30-2008, 02:21 PM
The day was a bit cooler than I thought it would be (was suppose to be mid 60's stayed in the low 50's early maybe hit 60 as we were leaving). I picked up a poncho just in case it might rain (30 % chance), and I was oh so glad I did, but I made a mental note to get another Rainjacket for future trips. On the way there it POURED, lightening and thunder all around too. Rain had slacked off when we got, thankfully.

I had a hit right off the bat with an elk hair caddis and midge dropper, but lost it in my excitement! Didn't get anything else near the dam. We moved on down and I had a couple more hits but couldn't get anything. My friends were chunking and doing quite well, so I decided to chunk too for awhile. Lots of hits but only one hookup.

It didn't take long to discover I had a hole in my waders, and my feet were freezing. Add to that the rain we were dealing with at times, and my poncho not really doing the job keeping my arms dry (thus, the mental note about a rainjacket), I was pretty cold actually. But we fished on, my friends were doing great with shad raps, I fished with whatever I had and switched out my fly to another nymph (maybe a tellico, can't remember what it was called).

When we got to Turkey Island, I mean the bottom dropped out! Rain heavy, thunder and lightening, everything. At that point we, just hunkered down under whatever we could find and ate our lunch and decided it was time to call it a day. It quit after a bit and we fished our way back up and out. Nobody who was flyfishing seemed to really be doing all the well fishing.

It was a good day for me just to get away and enjoy some downtime.

mastercaster
03-30-2008, 05:06 PM
The only thing that you need to know is that the fish there hit on olive and black wolly buggers in the mornings, and late evenings, and during the daytime hours it's usually small midges this time of year, say around 1-4 o'clock. That pretty much should do the trick for you there buddy and good luck on the water!!

mastercaster
03-30-2008, 05:12 PM
Never mind scratch that a little to late i guess.

ALflygirl
03-30-2008, 09:07 PM
Well shoot...I'm sorry to hear about the yuck weather. We were thinking of going to the Elk yesterday but when I looked at the radar, I was glad we didn't. Glad you at least got some time out. Maybe it will be better next time!!