PDA

View Full Version : Got Skunked Today 3/26

jeffnles1
03-26-2008, 03:59 PM
I hit a couple places in the park today and got royally skunked. I went up by the institute at treemont and a couple spots between there and the main highway. I turned up the road toward Cades Coved and fished the West Prong of the little river i a few spots and didn't see a single fish or anything that resembled a strike.

The water was cold.

The highlight of my day was stopping in LRO, buying a fishing license and chatting with Paula for a few minutes. I bought a few flies and doo-dads and hit the water. I think I should have stayed in LRO and bothered Paula and Byron a little more.

I still have Thursday and Friday to fish and the weather will be warmer and hopefully the water will be warmer too.

One thing, after last summe, it sure was good to see the streams flowing strong.

Wish I had photos of a trophy trout to post, but I gotta be honest.

Jeff

David Knapp
03-26-2008, 06:42 PM
Get away from the roads...;)

JimmyC
03-26-2008, 08:04 PM
Good luck tomorrow and Friday. Maybe I'll see you on the stream tomorrow ...

jeffnles1
03-26-2008, 08:43 PM
Get away from the roads...;)

Plateau,
I was thinking with the water being so cold, they would be down in the lower elevations

Unfortunately, I only had a couple hours today. I fished up by the institute at Tremont. That was about as far from the road as I got.

Where would you guys recommend going tomorrow and Friday? I'll be staying in Townsend.

Jeff

David Knapp
03-26-2008, 10:16 PM
Jeff, if it was me, I'd probably check on Lynn Camp because you don't really have to walk far to get a good look at the stream. If nothing was happening there, I would drive up LR and stop at a few pools along the way to look for risers and then probably head up above Elkmont. I prefer solitude even if it means catching fewer fish although the streams should be fishing well the next couple of days with the forecast warm weather...

ijsouth
03-26-2008, 10:54 PM
I would consider the species, as well...we've been up here since Monday, and we've done fairly well with the brookies, even in the snow on Monday. All of the action has been on dries. Other than one small brown, nothing else has shown up. Today the action really picked up. The water temps have been in the low to mid 40s; it might be the fact that brookies, liking cold water a bit better, are feeding a little more. Last year, in April on Lynn Camp, I couldn't get any takers on a dry...I had to get the rainbows with nymphs.

BlueRaiderFan
03-26-2008, 11:09 PM
At least you got to enjoy the beautiful mountains and rivers.

jeffnles1
03-26-2008, 11:24 PM
At least you got to enjoy the beautiful mountains and rivers.

Absolutely Agree! No complaints here. It was a beautiful day to be on the water. My son an I will be in Townsend until Saturday morning.

I do need to stop in LRO to pick up some tying supplies and probably just hang out a little bit.

We'll be hitting the water again on Thursday and Friday.

Jeff

pmike
03-27-2008, 01:30 PM
the same experience over by Treemont and figured the lack of sun on the water along with the cold water, was keeping the fish down. IMHO, the lower elevations along Little River, particulalry the sunnier spots would be a better option.

I will be along there myself this afternoon (the 27th) in my 98 silver Nissan Pathfinder. Give me a shout if you get this and see me.

Mike

jeffnles1
03-27-2008, 09:30 PM
We redeemed ourselves somewhat today. Check out the "Day One" post. First fish on a new rod custom built rod and first fish on a fly I tied. Good day to be a dad for sure.

Jeff