PDA

View Full Version : Elk River Report

mastercaster
03-28-2008, 06:14 PM
I went camping on the Elk Monday and stayed for a couple of days for some fine evening fishing. Well for the three days that i was there they generated Tuesday and Wednesday morning, (which I'm glad there doing more often on that river now) leaving the evenings open for some good fishing. I caught around 30 fish averaging 10-15 inches, along with a nice 20 inch brown and a beautiful 19 inch rainbow. It was awesome to be out there!

sprestwood
03-28-2008, 07:05 PM
What type of bugs were they bitting on?

mastercaster
03-29-2008, 09:53 AM
Well the big suckers were caught with size 8 black wolly buggers, but for the majority of the fish little midges that i made up and some smaller hares ear nymphs did the trick.

highpockets
03-31-2008, 12:53 PM
I spent Thursday and Friday throwing everything but the handle to my fly box and caught 5. Went to two of my old haunts and had the same luck. It's like the fish jsut weren't there! The 5 I caught were on either olive woolys or size 16 copper jon fished DEEP.

I need to go with one of you guys that catch all these fish and see what i'm missing!

highpockets
03-31-2008, 12:53 PM
where did you fish the midges? Dry?

mastercaster
04-01-2008, 12:02 AM
Highpockets,

Well for the midges i fished them in the shallow flats of the river. I fished from above the first run after the bridge below the dam all the way downstream about one mile or so... All the later midge fishing should be done usually right after or right before the fast runs, in the shallow water. I fish directly to the rises and it's usually instant. Depending on what you can get into, i fish them upstream sometimes like a regular dry or downstream swing them like a wet fly. Surprisingly enough some big fish feed on midges, being that there isn't that much of a food source for them in the Elk because of the low oxygen and rough bottom. But early on keep working those buggers because thats where you'll have the best chance at some real size in my opinion.

mastercaster
04-01-2008, 12:12 AM
Also highpockets i wouldn't waste your time fishing midges in stale water, you'll know the good spots when you see the fish sipping the water.

highpockets
04-02-2008, 11:53 AM
ok, me and you need to hook up. I'll buy lunch at the BBQ and you show me how this river works! ;-)

I love flyfishing but have SO much to learn and although I love to read I don't learn well from reading.

Like fishing these fast runs, it's just not in my nature. I cut my teeth on smallmouth in the creeks and Brookies in Pisgah. I look for "holes" and if I don't feel like there's a spot for a trout to sit I don't cast.

Guys like you talk about fishing these runs and I have a feeling that I am walking through a lot of good trout water. I have the flies, gear, patience and casting ability to make it happen I just need some guidance.

A good friend of mine is a guide in Colorado and I feel like every time we talk I learn something else that makes perfect sense! For instance, I now use Black strike indicators. They're made out of Poly Yarn and you wouldn't believe how visible they are on the "shiny" water. I really think they better for not spooking fish.

I use a different San Juan Worm made out of a very pliable rubber leg like material. It flows in the water just like a real worm!

If you get a chance e-mail me at steve.w.miller@us.army.mil

mastercaster
04-03-2008, 12:19 AM
Hey man sometime this summer I'm definitely down with the BBQ in exchange for some river guidance action, that sounds awesome. Yeah, and runs are definitely an awesome place to fish, but at the right times. Deep holes might hold some bigger fish on average, but fishing deep holes won't get all of the trout, or even all of the big trout. Now especially, in late evenings a lot of these bigger fish are in the flats feeding, runs too like you mentioned. Oh, and the black strike indicator, i like it, thats a good idea to not get it lost in the sun.

Grumpy
04-03-2008, 08:05 AM
They'll hold in the runs on account of being stocked, it's closer to being in a hatchery trough, plus, that's where most of the food will wash through, sort of like a food buffet, lineup & take advantage of it:biggrin:

Grumpy

highpockets
04-03-2008, 12:25 PM
ok, i'm not one that has ever been afraid of asking dumb questions so forgive the "newbyness".

I'm standing and looking at a "run" after a flat. The water has gone from flat and smooth to rippling over the rocks, the water has changed from 10-15" deep to 6-8".

The fish are holding....Where normally? I'm guessing right where the run starts.

Do you cast from downstream or sidestream (preference)

Do I want to land the dry above the run adn let it float into ro make it look like it just landed on the run naturally?

Dry fly/wet fly combo? A midge or EHC with a Zebra or midge dropper. Do I want the dropper to be contacting the bottom or moving through the current below the dry. I usually rig mine where the strike indicator tells me that the fly is ticking along the rocks.

Thanks

Grumpy
04-03-2008, 08:02 PM
highpocket's

don't sell yourself short, you just nailed most of the solutions to fishing the riffle, just got to find the one that works on any particular day, it's another excuse to go fishing.

Grumpy

Luke Warmwater
04-04-2008, 06:19 PM
Highpockets, you might try one of these in #18 http://littleriveroutfitters.com/store/product.php?productid=17897&cat=940&page=3
or one of these #16-#18 http://littleriveroutfitters.com/store/product.php?productid=17407&cat=940&page=3 under an indicator, in the Bend Pool, letting it just tick off the bottom of the river, fishing from the left side of the downstream side, with about a 25' cast out into the the Bend Pool itself. Let us know how it works for you.

http://www.southeasternfly.blogspot.com

mastercaster
04-05-2008, 03:51 AM
Trout feeding buffet, haha, kind of makes me want to be fishing!!

highpockets
04-08-2008, 03:35 PM
ok, sounds good. I have something very close to the second fly but nothing like the first fly but a zebra midge. I'm getting me some and will let you know.

Hey, question, without giving away any secrets do you guys fish other parts of the elk? I never fish at any of the spots that I see mentioned on here and never really see too many people where I fish so I sometimes wonder if it's a little unknown?