PDA

View Full Version : 2 pc versus 4pc rods

Brook Fan
03-28-2008, 09:59 PM
I have only had a 2 piece rod, but I can see where a 4pc would be effective for hiking in tough areas.
Before I buy my new rod can you guys give me some pros and cons comparing a 2pc versus 4. I'm really looking for casting and handling a fish information. I mostly fish tailwaters and spend 99% of that time on the Clinch.

UofMontanaAlum
03-28-2008, 11:19 PM
Are you ever planning on traveling anywhere you can fish?

I will carry my rods on the airplane with me on both of my trips out to Montana this year. A two piece rod, depending on airplane size, would need to be checked with baggage or shipped ahead of time.

Brook Fan
03-29-2008, 08:31 AM
I hope to make it back to Yellowstone eventually, but not anytime soon.
I'm just wondering if a 4pc will reduce the lenght you can cast out.

tire guy
03-29-2008, 08:44 AM
You have ask a good question, I have both and can tell no difference. The 4 piece is my choice from now on because the size unassyembled is more convienent by far. The are no drawbacks as far as fishing that I can tell. The only problem is putting it together when preparing to fish and is just part of the process to me.

monktrout
03-29-2008, 10:44 AM
Brook Fan, In my opinion fifteen or twenty years ago there was a big drop off in quality with 4-piece or multi-piece rods. Improvements in technology have made modern multi-piece rods comparable to two-piece rods. Obviously a one piece rod would be most efficient, but hardly practical. I would hesitate to buy an older four-piece on eBay, even at a good price. When you cast the old multi-piece rods you could almost feel the ferrule slap as you cast. It would take a pretty sophisticated caster to tell the difference today. Monktrout

Plunker
03-29-2008, 01:03 PM
I started with two pc.rods primarily due to $$$$ and over the last couple of years have traded up to 4pc's and even a 7pc(fits nicely in my briefcase) During the selection process, I heard this comment over and over..."The technology and thought process that goes into today's multi-peice rods results in a conscious effort to maintain the loading characteristic" I don't know if I believe it, but I feel that today's multi pc rods (even lower end sticks) have a slightly faster action, and stiffer feel when fighting fish. True... a lot of that is due to better blanks at a higher price point, but I believe that the ferrule design significantly stiffens the rod with each added section. For instance, I believe a 2pc Series one TFO 5wt would have the same feel as a 4pc Pro...if they both had the same number of pcs.
Course this is just my opinion, I could be, and usually am wrong...just ask my wife:O

jeffnles1
03-29-2008, 03:41 PM
I have no scientific data to back this up but as for feel and casting, I just cannot tell the difference and find the 4 piece so much easier to live with when traveling that the only rods I fish now are my 4 piece. I only have one 2 piece rod now and it's an old 'glass rod that I use from time-to-time.

Jeff

ccmmcc
03-29-2008, 07:07 PM
As the others have stated, I cannot tell the difference between a 2 and 4 piece rod and I consider myself a fairly decent caster. Years ago you could tell the difference. I wouldn't own anything but a 4 or 5 piece rod due to traveling, hiking, etc.

stickbait
03-29-2008, 11:02 PM
I don't know of many people that can tell the difference any more. 4 piece or more is the only way to go in my book. Also, if you have a vehicle that will hold a rod rack, you don't have to wait to assemble your rods at the river. No problem, either way.....

stickbait

Grumpy
03-30-2008, 07:55 AM
If you're doing a lot of hiking in to areas with the rod broke down, get a 4 piece. If not, use what you want to:eek:
I agree with the other's, i don't know if we really could tell the difference between 2 & 4 pc rods if we were blindfolded & handed them to cast.
I have a 2 pc 9' 5 weight that i love to fish & it's one of a few i wouldn't part with unless someone made a foolish offer for it, then i'd be foolish not to accept.

I have 4 pc rods for travel & they are nice rods, fish as well as the 2 pc, one thing for sure, regardless of how many pieces, you have to connect with the rod:biggrin:
Another thing, if you're a trader or don't like a rod, you'll get rid of a multi piece rod quicker;)

Grumpy

Hoosier
03-30-2008, 10:21 PM
For whatever it is worth I have often thought of purchasing a 4 piece just to carry on planes during travel, but the few times I have gone with the two piece rods I have never had to check them. I just always ask the stewardess if she would mind putting it in their closet or the closet in first class, so if you haven't asked it may be worth a try. Don't ask the people at the gate ot ticket counter. Worst that can happen is the stewardess makes you check it plane side. I have not been turned down yet.