PDA

View Full Version : Lower Holston 3/29

pineman19
03-30-2008, 09:52 AM
Hello all,

Decided to head to the lower Holston today, not sure why I don't fish it more since it's only about 20 minutes from my doorstep. I generally prefer fishing for wild trout in the Smokies. I arrived at the river around 1:00pm. There was a few cars in the parking lot, but only 3 people were wading, a couple of boats were in the water, but they weren't very close to the areas where I wanted to fish. I thought the action might be pretty hot with another rain front moving in, but they weren't any serious hatches happening except for the usual midges. I got a few bumps right away on a BHPT, but no hookups. Still working on my nymphing technique. After about an hour I caught my first bow in a nice looking run which a been vacated by a nice older gentleman who had been fishing worms. He told me as he was leaving that he had seen some trout rising in that spot. Just goes to show that bait fisherman can be good folks to. There was a fella fishing near me, I could tell he didn't have much experience and was getting a little frustrated watching me get strikes, and missing most of them, LOL. So I struck up a conversation with him and showed him what fly I was using. He showed me his fly, couldn't tell you what it was, but I thought he might do better with a BHPT so I gave him one to tie on and showed him a pointers on how to swing a nymph through a run. He didn't have any success right away, but I thought his casting and methods were improving well for a first timer. I am sure he'll catch fish soon if he sticks with it. After a while I moved upstream to an area where I had a little success in January and caught an acrobatic 11" bow on a small black pheasant. The second band of rain came in and I decided to call it quits since I had left my raincoat in the pickup. All in all, it was a good experience. Caught 3 bows 9-11" and had a fair amount of hits. I need to work on my hook setting fishing nymphs and wets in tailwaters. I did see a couple of light brown caddis coming off as the rain started around 4:00 pm. Hopefully, there will be some good dry fly action coming this week.

Neal

sprestwood
03-30-2008, 10:11 AM
One good tip in improving hook sets is to make sure there is no slack in the line first. Then set the hook.

mjenki14
03-30-2008, 10:25 PM
I just fished the lower Holston today, and nymphs are still the way to go. My suggestions would definitely be a zebra midge, you pick the color. I've been three times this past week and tried various flies and midges, but have caught all but three or four on the zebras. Hopefully the caddis will start soon..... I'll be out at Nancy's Ferry again tomorrow, so hope to see some fellow anglers out there.
Michael