PDA

View Full Version : SC Trout 3/29

scflyfisher
03-31-2008, 07:14 AM
Managed to sneak out for a couple hours on Saturday. I hadn't been out in about 6 months. My wife is due on April 3rd so I had to stay pretty close to home in case something happened. Fortunately there is some decent wild trout water in S.C. within about 35 minutes of my house. I decided to take a buddy of mine that does not fly fish, but he does enjoy fishing for anything that will bite.

It rained on us the entire drive to the stream, but let up just as we were getting our waders on. I rigged up my 3wt and my buddy rigged up his ultralight. I tied on a tellico and quickly caught a couple out of the first hole I fished. Unfortunately my buddy was fishing some small plastic baits that he had and wasn't getting any bites. After a while I called him upstream and I tied on a big prince nymph and put a bunch of split shot on it so he could cast it. I basically had him "high-stick" with his ultralight. In about 10 minutes he hooked up with a rainbow about 8" that was a nice fish for this particular stream. He only ended up landing the one fish, but had several others on, including a rainbow that was in the 10-11" range that qualified as a giant for this stream.

I managed about 6 for the day, all 6-8". Ended with one on an orange stimulator, even though there were no fish rising. Didn't see any hatch to speak of. As soon as we hopped out of the water and on the trail to walk out it started raining again. All in all it was a nice day to be out. Especially since it may be a while before I get an opportunity to make it out again.

Matt

mtnman2888
03-31-2008, 09:36 AM
Matt,

Glad to see that you were able to get out before the baby comes along. Sorry we haven't been able to get together for a trip, i actually thought about emailing you to see if you wanted to go this weekend but i didn't realize she was due so soon. Glad to hear you had a good day and hopefully you will be able to get out some more this summer. Hope everything goes well with your baby.

Craig

scflyfisher
03-31-2008, 10:50 AM
Craig,

Good to hear from you. Sorry I'm not gonna be able to make it out with you for a brookie trip before the baby is born. I have in-laws that will be in town a lot after she is born, so I'm sure I will still have some opportunities to get out, they just won't be as often as they used to. I would have some pictures, but realized at the river my camera hadn't been charged like I thought it had. For now I'll just have to live vicariously through your reports. I'll keep you posted after the birth so that we can try and work something out.

Matt

brownhunter
03-31-2008, 06:10 PM
Great report Matt. I hope all goes well with your wife and the delivery of your baby. Let me know when you want to hit a creek this summer.
Ben

scflyfisher
03-31-2008, 06:36 PM
Ben,

Good to hear from you. Everything going ok with your family? I'd like to get out with you again this summer. Hopefully the water situation will be better than what we had last year. I wouldn't mind going after some S.C. brookies again. Thanks for the reply.

Matt

brownhunter
03-31-2008, 08:28 PM
Will do. I haven't been back to that stream since we visited it last fall, and I would really like to see how the brookies fared with the low water and all. Let me know when you are free, and we'll see what we can do.