PDA

View Full Version : Vest?Fannypack?chestpack?

stickbait
03-31-2008, 11:25 AM
I still have mixed emotions concening which type of system I like best for carrying my junk when I go fishing. Prefer something simple and out of the way. In my closet are two vest, a chest pack, and a fanny pack. I been using the fanny pack lately, but I'm always in search of the perfect system. Ha ha, I know it really doesn't exist. I did see one of those sling packs from orvis the other day and was wondering if any of you guys have any experience with this product and would like to share your opinions. Thanks!

Stickbait

jeffnles1
03-31-2008, 03:26 PM
I was in LRO last week and Bill was showing me several different vests and pack systems. As cool as some of the tech packs look the more I think about it, the more I realize I'm a vest guy. I think it's just that I've gotten used to the vest and am comfortable with it. I keep looking at the Fishpond tech packs / vests and the chet packs and keep thinking, "it just ins't my old vest".

Your experience may be different but if you have something that is wroking for you, like the old saying goes, if it ain't broke, don't fix it".

Jeff

Plunker
03-31-2008, 05:00 PM
Stick, I too have been trying to make a decision along those lines...still haven't made one after months!

I asked about the Orvis Sling Pack in the following thread:
http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9619

I got some good advice...but still can't decide.
One major problem with the sling pack from Orvis is that it goes over your right shoulder...I cast with my right hand and don't really want that strap across that shoulder. I tried one on at a local fly shop, and really like it, just think that not having the option to use it on line shoulder will be aggravating...
Good luck...let me know what I should buy ...will ya?:eek:

billyspey
03-31-2008, 09:16 PM
fanny waterdance fish pond

Grumpy
03-31-2008, 11:24 PM
fanny waterdance fish pond

2nd that, i wear it "man purse" style unless my back's hurting, thn i go to the fanny mode:eek:

Grumpy

ACinEastTN
04-01-2008, 11:53 AM
I'll make a third for the Waterdance. Love mine!

Tiger fly
04-01-2008, 12:01 PM
4th for waterdance. awesome. love it

Plunker
04-02-2008, 01:52 PM
Do any of you have pics of the Waterdance pack in use? No one around here has one that I can get all touchy feely with, and the fishpond site only shows the one view. I'm interested, but cannot decide not being able to test fit it.

Thanks,
Plunk'

Grumpy
04-02-2008, 10:19 PM
Do any of you have pics of the Waterdance pack in use? No one around here has one that I can get all touchy feely with, and the fishpond site only shows the one view. I'm interested, but cannot decide not being able to test fit it.

Thanks,
Plunk'

Why sure, we're all models:cool: , i try to avoid cameras, i love the pack though being i'm able to guide out of it, it's not bulky despite all the stuff in it.

Grumpy

Plunker
04-02-2008, 10:27 PM
Ouch...
And I thought PINK was supposed to be calming...oh wait that was yesterday:biggrin:

Does the pack part detach from the belt or do ya hang it over the neck and wrap the belt around back?

Grumpy
04-03-2008, 07:54 AM
Ouch...
And I thought PINK was supposed to be calming...oh wait that was yesterday:biggrin:

Does the pack part detach from the belt or do ya hang it over the neck and wrap the belt around back?

The belt stores inside pocket's on the back of the pack, you could use the belt to hold it in place if you wear it as a chestpack, purse style works better for me.

Grumpy

ACinEastTN
04-03-2008, 09:49 AM
If I am in higher water I will put my casting arm and head through the soulder strap and buckle the belt around my ribs. This allows some room to slide it over into a chest pack position when needed and just tuck it under your arm when not. If you're creative there a quite a few options on how to "wear" it. I prefer fanny pack style as much as possible for comfort reasons. It is a great pack and made me realize how much I disliked my old vest. I would'nt worry about room either. I carry a couple more bulky items now I would not have put in my vest.

jeffnles1
04-03-2008, 12:24 PM
For the guys who use the fanny packs and chest packs, where do you store your rain jacket?

I keep mine folded up and in the rear "net" storage area of my vest. I've been stuck out on the water more than once when the rain jacket came in handy.

I do like the idea of the pack and know most if not all of my gear would fit, but what about a net and the rain jacket?

I'd like to give the packs a try, especially in summer, just wondering where to put the bulkier stuff.

Jeff

ALflygirl
04-03-2008, 01:17 PM
Anybody have an opinion on the Fishpond Dragonfly model????

Plunker
04-03-2008, 06:51 PM
For the guys who use the fanny packs and chest packs, where do you store your rain jacket?
Jeff

Though not the greatest jacket in the world, I carry a DriDuck jacket that is extremely light, effective, cool, and inexpensive...which I can fold up/wad up to about the size of a medium fly box...it'll literally fit in the pocket of a columbia fishing shirt.

It is the same type material that Frogg Toggs are made of only lighter...matter of fact they are made by the Frog Togg people. Best part $20 American and you get pants too!

I have two sets...one in the tackle box...one in the golf bag

Grumpy
04-03-2008, 07:59 PM
Marmot Precip, nothing to it, fit's in the pack with room to go.

ALFLYGIRL

The Dragonfly is the pack my wife want's, it carries enough, not as much as most of us guys carry:redface:

Grumpy

Kevin_Thomas
04-03-2008, 08:01 PM
I wear a columbia shirt and use a lanyard. If I try anything else I overload...

ALflygirl
04-03-2008, 08:37 PM
Sounds like there is a Fishpond Dragonfly in my future! Thanks for the info Grumpy!

cubefisher
04-16-2008, 11:04 PM
The Marmot Precip is a champ. I've fished some of the wettest days in one of those and not even come close to getting damp. They pack down really well. It's light but will keep you warm enough with a fleece under it. Hands down winner in my book. Whenever mine wears out, I'll replace it with another.