PDA

View Full Version : Hiwassee Report?

CinciVol
04-01-2008, 09:33 AM
I hadn't heard a report from the FFF trip to the Hi on the 29th. So how was it? Usually if no one posts a report, the fishing was either too lousy to bother reporting or too hot to risk starting a stampede to the river (I'm hoping for the latter!). Anyway, I hope you guys had a great trip.

tennswede
04-01-2008, 09:51 AM
Well, It could have been great but we had to officially cancel the whole thing due to insurance issues. If you want more details please join us at our next meeting which will be Tuesday April 8 by the way. It's at Doris Walker Academy on Hardin Valley Rd in Knoxville. Meeting time at 7 pm.

Then the rain hit, a few members were going to go on their own anyway and I contemplated it. I got up at 6 AM and it was pouring rain in Knoxville. I didn't want to risk it with gas being what it is.

sprestwood
04-01-2008, 10:17 AM
What organization is FFF?

CinciVol
04-01-2008, 10:27 AM
Hans, I'll be there on Tuesday (the first meeting I can make since the first one).

I did hear that the event got "officially" cancelled. One of the most frustrating aspects of the world today is "lawyer-ification" of everything. I can meet up with a bunch of my friend for a day of fishing, but if it is under the umbrella of a club, you need costly insurance?

FFF is the Federation of Fly Fishers. We started a Knoxville chapter this year. As I understand it, FFF's mission is to promote fly fishing, conservation, restoration, and education. The main difference between FFF and TU is that FFF promotes all types of flyfishing (including warmwater).

Read Hans' mesage for the next meeting time. Everyone's welcome!

ttas67
04-01-2008, 10:51 AM
Cinci, I was there. It was not an official FFF event of course, but I went. the fishing was marginal. I caught a few. It was fun regardless. Plateau Angler and I met up later in the day. check his blog for a more detailed report.

Troutman
04-01-2008, 11:14 AM
I did not go either. Glad to hear some fish were caught Trevor.

tennswede
04-01-2008, 07:28 PM
Cincivol!

I guess I need to clarify: The main reason we had to cancel wasn't so much the issue of legalese or any problem with the insurance itself. It comes down to lack of cashflow in the club and that is something we will work out at the next meeting. This is no means any end to anything, we just have to come up with some cash so we can buy this insurance. We do want to have this insurance due to third party liability and such. We'll talk more at the meeting.

Like you said everyone is welcome and come in with new ideas and suggestions please.

asummitt
04-03-2008, 08:00 AM
Fishing was pretty much a wash until around 4pm. It rained most of the day. About 3pm the rain shut off. About 3:30 we were in the middle of the biggest bwo hatch I've ever fished. Fish everywhere. Couldn't get a take on a dry, we thought there was just too much food on the water. I tried several different emerger patterns with no luck. Went back to a dry and didn't start catching fish until I was stripping my line back in to check my leader. I ended up with a size 20 bwo dry with a small amount of weight on it. Caught most fish slowly stripping back. Caught 10-12 in a about 2 hrs.

Sunday was more productive. We got on the water around 10:30 in Danny's boat. We caught between 40-50 in about 4 1/2 hrs. Most fish were taken on Danny's special fly, I don't know if the specific fly is public information. All fish were rainbows in the 8-12 inch range.

The weekend started off pretty rough but ended up being a very fun weekend.