PDA

View Full Version : Bass/Bluegill Flies

Grousegunner
04-01-2008, 01:54 PM
Like many of you, I love fly fishing for trout. Unfortunately, I don't live that close to any "true" trout water. In fact, most of the fishing opportunities I have are for warm water species, like bass and bluegill. As a result, I have decided that I would like to put together a warm water fly box. But, I'm going to need your help to decide exactly what flies will be included. So, if you have any suggestions on bass/bluegill flies, please share them. I'm interested in the recipes for these flies too. Any pictures or links would be greatly appreciated.

This should be a fun project.

Thanks,
Grousegunner

sprestwood
04-01-2008, 03:26 PM
I am also closer to warm water, and this year I will concentrate on warmwater presentation with a flyrod. However I will add that the two fish you mentioned have strongly different feeding patterns that are dictated by their strongly different mouth sizes. Panfish are known for hitting anything, they probalily have to cos they need to feed through that small mouth. Largemouth are incited to bite big baits, more reward for the effort.

I have posted a decsription of a general Minnow-Shiner patten as a result of my search for a warmwater pattern because of a trend I saw in bait fish. The size of the hook could be scaled down for panfish, it was originally sized for crappie.

jeffnles1
04-01-2008, 04:31 PM
I live in Kentucky and about 80% of my fishing is for bass (LM and SM), Bluegill, Crappie, Pumpkinseeds, etc.) and the rest is for Trout.

In my warmwater box(s) I typically have:

Woolie buggers - black, olive, brown/orange, white. Sizes range from 10 to 6. Some bead head and some lead wire weighted on the hook.

Poppers - assortmen of colors, orange, green, white, yellow, black. Sizes range from about 8 to 12. I typically carry a couple larger poppers for the bass but usually use 8 ad 10.

Wooly Worms (more or less a woolie bugger with different tail)

Green Weenies

Hoppers, foam beetles, foam ants, spiders

San Juan worms (rarely used, seems green weenie is more productive)

some trout flies - Adams, Caddis, Midges, coachmen, etc. Yes, trout flies work on warmwater fish, especially bluegill. I have even caught largemouth bass on #12 Parachute Adams. (go figure).

Going through the mental inventory of my warmwater box, this is what I remember using most. There may be some other stuff in there but these are my trusty tried and true selections.

Jeff

ALflygirl
04-01-2008, 08:23 PM
I will echo what Jeff said plus add clousers(several different colors) and crawfish patterns to it. I just "built" my warmwater box not long ago. The creeks here are just starting to have significant activity so hopefully it will get put to use a lot very soon!