PDA

View Full Version : Ohio

golfballs03
04-01-2008, 10:01 PM
Well, I've finished up school and am about to head out into the real world. My first job is in Columbus, Ohio. One of my first concerns after learning of the location was whether there is fly-fishing in the area.

Does anyone know of anything close enough that can be done in a day trip or maybe over a weekend?

Thanks

Gerry Romer
04-01-2008, 10:02 PM
The Smokies.

golfballs03
04-01-2008, 10:35 PM
Ha. Believe me, I'll take just about every opportunity I can to come back

buckeyetrouter
04-02-2008, 06:20 AM
Mad River or Clear Creek......the Mad is going to be up by Urbana area and the Clear Creek is going to be past Lancaster......both are stocked and run year round......both should start fishing well soon.

do yourself a favor and don't expect a Smokies experience with these creeks

bob

Bullwinkle
04-02-2008, 07:57 AM
Mad River or Clearfork will be your choices.. stop into Mad River Outfitters and you will be able to get the lastest information or they have a web site with fishing conditions they keep fairly current. The good news is it's only 6 hours or so to Townsend TN, Grayling MI and a little less to State College PA or Richwood WV. PM me if you would like any Columbus info

BuckeyeRick
04-02-2008, 11:23 AM
In Columbus you are an hour away from the 3 trout streams the other guys mentioned, one SE, one NW, and one N. But you are also only 2 to 2-1/2 hrs away from great Steelhead fishing in the Lake Erie tributaries. Definitely stop in at Mad River Outfitters and talk to Brian and the guys.

Oh, if your name reflects an interest in the game, I believe there are over 100 courses within a 50 mile radius of C-bus.

Hoosier
04-02-2008, 01:42 PM
Brookville IN tailwater should be a little over 2 hrs depending on where in Columbus you'll live. Good fishing for holdover Browns. Check out the central indiana trout unlimited web page for info. Guys with TU did a good job there.

golfballs03
04-02-2008, 04:41 PM
Thanks for all the responses. It doesn't sound like fly-fishing will be too scarce, and I look forward to exploring some of these spots on my free time.

By the way, is it worth taking my drift boat up with me? Not knowing what the streams are like up there, I was planning on leaving it at my parents' place on the Clinch. Any thoughts?

buzzmcmanus
04-02-2008, 04:55 PM
AEP recreation land. over 350 lakes. Get a belly tube and it's completely worth the drive. I actually drive from the smokies to AEP (formerly ohio power) to fish. Here's a link to explore, including a map.

http://www.aep.com/environmental/recreation/recland/maps.htm

pineman19
04-02-2008, 06:47 PM
Hello Golf,

I think you will enjoy the Mad River. It may not be a "Smokies Experience", but your average trout will be larger than in the Smokies since the Mad is a limestone stream. Most of the trout are browns and I don't think all of them are stockers, fishing has improved since they focused on brown trout mgt. In the 70's and 80's mgt. was focused on a put-n-take rainbow fishery. I think a drift boat is a little big for the Mad, but a canoes works well most of the time, especially once you get south of West Liberty. I caught my first trout in the 70's on the Mad on a salmon egg. It's a pretty stream, running through farmland and scattered woodlands. I hope to get back there within the next month to catch some nice browns on my home water.

Good luck,

Neal

BuckeyeRick
04-03-2008, 12:03 PM
By the way, is it worth taking my drift boat up with me? Not knowing what the streams are like up there, I was planning on leaving it at my parents' place on the Clinch. Any thoughts?[/QUOTE]

I know MRO does float trips on the Mad and I believe that Clear Fork is big enough to handle them. But again, check with the flyshop for the best info. If you happen to like catching Smallmouth, there are some very good waters for those also.

Flyfishjeep
04-04-2008, 04:38 PM
golf,
I would leave your drift boat at your parents house. When your gone I will gladly take care of it for you. I have a degree in nautical maintenance with a specialty in drift boats.

jeffnles1
04-05-2008, 02:01 AM
Here's a second vote for Brookville. It's about an hour's drive from my house in Northern Kentucky and is a very nice fishery. Typical tailwater and not the "Smokey's experience" but it is a well managed stream. I've caught several browns there that went over 18". There are 'bows there too and I've caught a few in the 16-18" range. Most of the bows are smaller in the 8-12" range. Big browns are the ticket there.

Jeff