PDA

View Full Version : mockers

jross
04-03-2008, 09:10 AM
have you ever had someone mock you because you enjoy catching fish that often don't surpass the foot mark? How do you respond or do ya?

Grumpy
04-03-2008, 09:23 AM
:biggrin:

leave 'em wondering!

Grumpy

Waterborn
04-03-2008, 12:03 PM
"Many men go fishing their entire lives without knowing it is not fish they are after."

Thoreau, Henry David

jeffnles1
04-03-2008, 12:09 PM
If they mock you for fishing in beautiful streams for fish that look as pretty as jewels, and spending a day surrounded by the beauty of the mountains, no amount of explaining is going to make them understand.

They just don't get it and probably never will.

I've caught my share of big fish over the past 47 years. I've caught 6lb bass, I've caught 20"+ smallmouth, I've caught a 40lb catfish, and a 40+ lb carp, I've caught brown trout over 20" in tailwaters.

None of them compare to the rush of catching a 7" brown or a 5" rainbow out of a clear mountain stream.

It's not the catching, or the size of the fish that matters. It really isn't even the fishing. For me, it's the sensory overload the mountains.

They have a unique smell of moist earth, decaying vegetation, flowers, pine and thousands of others that mix together to make a very unique treat for the nose. You all know the smell. It's as addictive as coccaine and a whole lot better for you.

Then there's the colors. The mountains are a thousand shades of green, brown and gray.

The water is as clear as crystal but looks dark and mysterious because of the green canopy and the dark gray rocks on the stream bed.

The sound of water falling from the mountain tops rumbling over rocks that have been smoothed by millions of years of water falling from those mountain tops is prettier than any music made by man.

Then there's that occassional brightly colored gem on the end of the line.

Nope, if someone has difficulty understanding why you fish in such a place, I seriously doubt if there is anything you can say or do that will make them understand.

I honestly pitty anyone who has not experienced the mountains from the middle of one of their streams. I couldn't care less if I catch a fish or how big it is. Yes, catching fish is a little more fun than getting skunked but the truth of the matter is I just enjoy standing in a stream and enjoying what God has blessed us with.

If I didn't have to earn money to feed my family (and feed my fly fishing addiction) I could spend every day of the rest of my life fishing the Smokeys and on those days where I couldn't fish, I could spend looking out of my window at the mountains. This would make ma a very happy man.

Sorry about the long rant. It's been a strange couple days for me. My grandmother is having some health issues and I'm probably a little more emotional than usual.

Jeff

jross
04-03-2008, 12:31 PM
thanks for the replies. And I say Rant ON Jeffnles! I to could stay here in southern IN and catch bigger fish, but the mountains are wonderful and I agree "hunerd" percent with your post.

rainshaker
04-03-2008, 01:23 PM
have you ever had someone mock you because you enjoy catching fish that often don't surpass the foot mark? How do you respond or do ya?

...If they're mocking you, then they're insecure of their own craft (or lack of one). I say invite the mysterious mockers on a Smoky Mtn fishing trip, and if they turn you down, then you've done all you can do.:biggrin:

WNCFLY
04-03-2008, 01:39 PM
Show them this picture! I will take a beautiful 10" native brook over a 20" dough belly any day.

http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa197/WNCFLY/bestbrook.jpg

ijsouth
04-03-2008, 02:32 PM
Show them this picture! I will take a beautiful 10" native brook over a 20" dough belly any day.

Now THAT'S what I'm talking about! Nice fish, and this topic reminds me of something my oldest daughter was telling me the other day, while we were fishing. On one of our trips last summer, we fished Road Prong, and there was a steady stream of hikers, tourists, etc. She was fishing behind me, so I didn't see or hear this exchange, but she told me some idiot came up on the trail and was making fun of her for fishing there, saying "there's no fish in these streams, nothing can live in there" etc. My daughter promptly caught a small trout (I think a brookie), which you would think would shut this guy up...instead, he made fun of the small size, implying that it wasn't a "real" fish. I know, it takes all types...but it made me mad when I heard about it.

Like others on this thread, I've done all sorts of fishing; the sort of fishing we do here in the marshes and swamps of Southeast Louisiana is far different from the mountains, but I still enjoy it. However, these mountain trout are special, and it has to be due to a combination of their beauty (face it, I don't think we would get so worked up if these fish looked like carp, or suckers, etc), and the surrounding environment, plus the artistry involved in the method of fishing itself (fly fishing is far more graceful than chunking out a plastic bait under a popping cork on spinning or casting tackle). It's definitely a state of entrancement, almost like a dream state...it's hard to explain in words.

Bran
04-03-2008, 02:47 PM
You all make great points, and I love to fly fish as much as any. Just bear in mind to go light on running down the "plastic bait under a popping cork on spinning or casting tackle". That's the grass roots of fishing and where most kids start, it's also how people get the impression we're "snobby" as Fly Fishermen. No big deal but just an observation, remember we all need to stick together nowadays, there are those that would love to see all fishing and hunting stopped. You guys have a great day and carry on.

jross
04-03-2008, 03:22 PM
I think for the average angler a zebco and bobber or some plastic doo-hickey will work. I'd say you're right in that. But as an angler gets more serious as an outdoorsman/fisherman the less they will run down other types of fishing.

ijsouth
04-03-2008, 03:42 PM
Just bear in mind to go light on running down the "plastic bait under a popping cork on spinning or casting tackle".

I wasn't running it down at all...that's the basic rig we use down here for speckled trout and redfish (I have a saltwater fly rig, but I haven't broken it in yet). All I was saying is that, in comparing the esthetic qualities of it to fly fishing, it suffers in comparison; I don't think there will be a movie extolling the virtues of lobbing a "Speckulizer" rig up against an oil rig. It's just the nature of things.

russ
04-03-2008, 04:21 PM
I hate it when I tell some one that I fly fish and they say something like; "it must be tough fishing for flys" I want to rip 'em apart everytime!:mad:

jeffnles1
04-03-2008, 04:36 PM
face it, I don't think we would get so worked up if these fish looked like carp, or suckers, etc

It's not just the trout in the Smokey streams that are pretty.

This little guy (and all of his kinfolk I've caught) are downright beautiful too.
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b110/jeffnles1/fishing/HPIM0099.jpg

Fortunately, I've never had anyone make fun of me for fly fishing. Usually, it's the other way around. Regardless of if I'm in the mountains, a local warm water stream or a lake / pond, I get a lot of people asking questions about fly fishing. Most assume it's some kind of black magic and it must be really hard. I've let a number of kids cast my rod at local lakes and ponds. A few of them have caught their first fish on a fly.

My personal goal is to be an ambassador for the sport every chance I get.

Jeff

Bran
04-03-2008, 04:39 PM
I got you IJ, I read into it too far. My wife was learning to cast the Fly rod late last year and it took me till recently to realize that she really just enjoys throwing her Zebco 33 more than anything so I've backed off. I figure "what the heck?" She likes to fish and I shouldn't run it down if she enjoys the 33, it's all about the experience and enjoyment anyhow. You guys have a good one, I've got to get back to work so I can afford to fish later.http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/images/icons/icon7.gif --Bran

Plunker
04-03-2008, 07:16 PM
I'm sure this is a norm for you Guy's that are in the creek all the time. But last April, during my first Fly Fishing Trip to the Mountains ever, I was standing in the River at Metcalf Bottoms having a little luck. This nice Asian couple came to the bank and watched quietly for 30-40 minutes. When I stopped to re-tie the lady asked (in heavily accented, broken english) if she could take my picture...I was taken aback but agreed and she started snapping away...back cast, high stick, roll cast etc etc click click click. Finally I fooled a young 'bow on the rise (that had vexed me for an hour it seemed) and brought him to hand and walked over to the bank so the couple could see the 4-5" Rainbow. They were delighted! The husband said "Beautiful fish, but I see that not why you really in creek...it look more fun just trying!"

After some more photos of Mr. Rainbow... we released him and I waded back into the stream...the lady said "that fun...can you do it again!"

Over the three days we were there people stopped and took our picture numerous times at different places on the river...I keep thinking I'll show up on some internet stock photo distributer...but then I look in a mirror:biggrin:

jeffnles1
04-03-2008, 07:40 PM
The husband said "Beautiful fish, but I see that not why you really in creek...it look more fun just trying!"

Now, there is a man who "gets it".

I've had my picture taken a lot. I've had some nice conversatios with the people alongside the streams and lakes. Mainly the kids and moms are the ones with the questions. It seems the men are drawn to the technical aspects of fly fishing and the women are more interested in the astetic aspects. I have had a number of women comment on how peaceful fly fishing looks and how "pretty" it is to see the line going through the air. The men usually ask about the equipment and mechanics of how to cast. Usually, the kids want to know how many fish I caught.

Jeff

ijsouth
04-03-2008, 10:25 PM
I got you IJ, I read into it too far.

No problem...kinda figured that. I probably didn't make the point very well, which was...it's not just like comparing apples and oranges...it's more like comparing apples to asparagus - it's a totally different game, not inferior, but different. Our inshore saltwater fishing might be the best in the world, as far as raw numbers are concerned. Even with a deteriorating, disappearing coast, the amount of fish available is staggering; these fish, particularly the speckled trout, reproduce in such large numbers, so the limits are fairly liberal (although not as relaxed as a few years ago....and my dad could remember a time when there were no limits). So, it is more of a numbers game down here - there isn't much of a catch n' release ethos, for better or worse. It's a little different with the redfish; the purse seines almost wiped them out in the 80s, feeding the blackened redfish craze. We're limited to 5 a day with them, and it's the redfish that are the better target for the fly - I'm going to get some this summer...they pull like a freight train. On the flip side, I kept a few trout this last trip...the first time I've done that. They were rainbows, from Lynn Camp, and they were certainly well beyond the minimum length, and I did so in the knowledge that the 'bows in that stream are destined to be poisoned out later this year anyway - but I still felt a little odd keeping them. However, my daughters and I certainly enjoyed them a couple nights later.

It's funny to think about the topic of snobbery...sure, there's a lot of it in fly-fishing, although I can honestly say I haven't met anyone in person who would fit the definition...yet. There's snobs in other forms of fishing, too...it just takes different forms. For the most part, it takes the form of having to have the fastest boat around; you see these guys running around here, spending all their time keeping their boat on plane instead of fishing. When they aren't running around, it's a contest to see how much barley pop they can polish off in a day. So, I believe we shouldn't beat ourselves up too much over any perceived elitism; there's plenty of arrogance out there, in any endeavor.

nvr2L8
04-03-2008, 11:04 PM
It is nearly impossible to adequately explain the thrill of fly fishing to someone who has never done it.

For me, I just don't get flying down a snowy mountain at 60 miles an hour on sticks with poles. I don't get the thrill of parachuting or weight lifting or kayaking or a lot of things and most of those, I have no interest in even trying. By the same token, you'll never talk some folks into fly fishing.

Fly fishing either strikes a chord in you or it doesn't. You will never get some people, even avid fisherpersons, to take hold of a fly rod and stand in a mountain stream stalking an undersized wild trout. There's a bass fisherman at work who will try fly fishing but only as another way to catch bass in a lake.

What I do doesn't have the same (didn't say equal, just same) thrill as a 3 pound smallmouth on a crank bait or stripers or monster cats. But for some of us there's no more direct line to our thrill button than from a wild trout to a dry fly to a fly line/rod to our hand. It is absolutely electric. And if you're not wired that way, you're no better or worse, just different; just like the fact that I don't understand skiing and have no interest in trying it is no measure of my character, worth or status.

Different strokes for different folks - I'll stick with fly fishing, thank you very much and bless your heart if you'd rather jump from an airplane.

ijsouth
04-03-2008, 11:16 PM
But for some of us there's no more direct line to our thrill button than from a wild trout to a dry fly to a fly line/rod to our hand. It is absolutely electric.

That's exactly it...it's that sensation, that mental image in the mind, that keeps me coming back again and again. It's that picture of a dry, placed exactly where you wanted it...drifting, drifting, and you know the take will happen any second now, but it still takes you by surprise - sometimes so much so that you forget to react and set the hook.

It's that picture that I keep in my head, and that I think about when my mind starts to wander at work. You cannot top that sensation, and it can't be described in mere words. If I could bottle it, I'd be rich.

adirondack46r
04-04-2008, 08:29 AM

Just once. It was the same guy who thought I was goofy for deer hunting with an old recurve when I could have been hunting with a new fangled, widget infested, carbon encrusted wheelie wonder. For some, it's all about size and numbers. For some, it's all about the journey. That's not to imply that either is right. That's not even to imply that our attitudes are static. As I grow older the experiences and things that I value have changed. I'll take a fishless day in the mountains over a 20 fish day shoulder to shoulder on the Beaverkill any day. Then again, I'll take an afternoon babysitting my grandbaby over just about anything these days. ;-)

adirondack46r
04-04-2008, 08:32 AM
Hey rain shaker. I like that avatar. Been tying a few CDC comparaduns myself lately.

jross
04-04-2008, 09:37 AM
it's about like hunting also. There have been days overlooking my decoy spread where I was watching the birds work and thought "Well, I guess I better get my gun..." I know I was hunting, but I was just enjoying the spectacle so much that I didn't want to disturb it with shooting/killing!!

Bran
04-04-2008, 10:32 AM
I've been there a few times myself, of course my Lab didn't understand that and he was whining and no doubt cussing me in the process.
As far as the "snobs" in any endeavor, it's funny you said that IJ b/c I fished a few times with the Drose family's guides on Santee Cooper's impoundments and I got on the subject of Roland Martin, they grew up with him. They didn't have good things to say, they regarded him as "snobby". How about that??