PDA

View Full Version : Clinch 4-2-08

Flyfishjeep
04-03-2008, 11:42 AM
I eased my way out of work early yesterday and headed to the Clinch around the Jail. Of course the one time I don't check the flow schedule I am fishing.
The water was at full height and there was no way I'm going in that water.
I called down to LRO and Annette checked the generator schedule and said it had stopped 1 hour ago, but it would take 4 hrs to go down.
She recommended I try around millers island. So off I went to new water.
This would be my 3rd time fishing the Clinch, so I was excited to try a new spot.
There were 2 other fly fisherman in the water once I geared up.
I went down stream of both and began to fish.
About 20 min in I landed a nice 10" brown. First Brown in TN for me. I will post a picture later when I get home.
Fished about and hour and half more without any other strikes. The other two anglers packed in in about an hour after I arrived.
I started to head back to my Jeep when I came across one of the nice runs that the other guy was fishing. I changed my nymph from a BR special to a BHPT that I tied on Monday. There were about 5 fish that I could see swim up to my fly look at it then look at me and laugh then swim away. It was still fun to see them almost take it. You get that adrenaline rush with the anxiousness. Soon there after I brought to hand a nice 12" rainbow that gave a good fight and a few nice jumps.
After the next cast the wife called and reminded me that we had dinner plans in 1 hour and I was 40min away. So I had to go.
All in all it was a beautiful day on the water. I even got a little sunburned.

My new Simms waders from LRO were sooooo nice. They are light and I could barely tell I had them on.

JimmyC
04-03-2008, 11:46 AM
Glad you did well! I was below the weir for about two hours yesterday. Did fairly well. Maybe I'll see you out there one day.

mjenki14
04-03-2008, 12:28 PM
I was also on the clinch yesterday but my day wasnt quite as good. I forgot to zip on of the pockets on my fishing back and all my nymphs decided to take a swim downstream. If anyone caught a LRO green fly box, shoot me an email. I guess ill just fish dry flies for a while!

buckeyetrouter
04-03-2008, 01:28 PM
Ben.....you're killing me, if I wanted to fish this week I would have to broken some ice or fished river water that was up by a good 6 ft.......

If Abby keeps getting the promotions at her insurance company, we may be looking to relocate south with transfer. I told her don't worry 'bout me, I could flip burgers and be happy if'n I was closer to the Smokies....Thought we were headed to Brentwood last fall but she was promoted and that took the Brentwood transfer out of play....

so anyways, glad you are getting to catch some fish on flies you tied and keep your fingers crossed we get some warmer weather up here so the Crappie start (they love those little nymphs).

Hoping to get to Townsend in a few or few+2 weeks for a Smokies fix

God Bless and Good Fishing
bob