PDA

View Full Version : Why do bank fisherman use corn?

Brook Fan
04-04-2008, 07:51 AM
I have noticed as I'm wading the Clinch that 9 out of 10 bank fisherman are using corn.
What is the connection with trout and corn? Is there something on the river bottom that looks like corn or is this what they are fed in the hatcheries.
I'm not trying to bash any one type of fishing here (they like corn I like flies) I haven't had any trouble with them I'm just curious why corn is more popular than worms when bottom fishing.

Shaggy
04-04-2008, 08:24 AM
At the hatchery they are fed what are referred to as fish pellots which are made from grains that, I believe, also include corn. I think the smell and taste of corn is similiar to the fish pellots. I agree that chucking corn on a hook is not a very sporty way to get a trout, but it sure is effective. Also effective, probably more effective is the use of worms. Most of these "chuckers" are more interested in stocking up they're freezer than enjoying the sport of it. However, they too purchase fishing licenses and trout stamps same as us and are equally entitled to do so. This is what makes areas such as the GSMP such special places, it is more difficlut to get a fish with a fly and most fly fisherman do not keep everything they catch. I have never seen a corn chucker release a fish:frown:

Plunker
04-04-2008, 08:25 AM
Consider the source...but I have been told by Fly-Fishermen on stream that the corn is BAD for trout...but they've never said why trout will eat it.

I wonder if stockers think it's food pellets or stream borns think it's an egg of some sort?

JimmyC
04-04-2008, 08:26 AM
I think it's just the strong scent. I used to use corn for carp on a micro-light spin rod when I was a kid, I thought it was the scent, but apparently carp will eat anything. But with trout, I'm pretty sure it's the strong scent.

FRW
04-04-2008, 11:47 AM
My wife and I were in NC a few years back fishing on the South Toe River upstream from Carolina Hemlock campgrounds. It was a beautiful day and there were some huge fish in sight, but we couldn't catch anything. Well along came a guy and his two kids. He was originally from Indiana, our home, so we struck up a conversation. He was putting canned corn kernels on the hooks and catching fish big time. We asked him about it and his exact quote was, "These fish are hatchery fish. They don't know anything about flies, but they know corn." Enough said.

BuckeyeRick
04-04-2008, 02:33 PM
They stock some city park lakes around here and I always see people using corn or tiny marshmallows in bright colors. I've asked lots of old-timers (like me) and some ODNR guys and I get the same answer - Trout Chow. The only other explanation I can think of is that they resemble eggs.

sprestwood
04-04-2008, 03:26 PM
I think that trout hold a committee meeting before sunrise to determine what random baits they will be biting that day. :biggrin: I dont see any other reason a hatchery trout would hit inline spinners less than 24 hous out of the hatcherythat was all they were hitting that morning. But if you wish to do corn bait fishing add some salt and garlic to the kernal corn the night before you go fishing. That will improve the scent trail.

mastercaster
04-05-2008, 03:56 AM
Oh it's easy, and no REAL offense to any of the users, but they just can't make it in the official trout world, fly fishing, so they corn it up.

Grumpy
04-06-2008, 08:21 AM
gives 'em something to snack on:biggrin:

Grumpy

Flat Fly n
04-06-2008, 10:25 AM
1. Their grandmother's fished this way

2. The fish see it

3. The fish can smell it

4. It's cheap

5. No it is not fed to them at hatcheries, trout chow is

6. Worse of all, it works

EarlyBird
04-07-2008, 10:05 AM
I fish the clinch alot and I don't fly fish. Not enough action for all he effort. I mainly use rapalas and spoons. When the fishing slows down and its lunch time we go to corn for a little while. Corn is a for sure bite. I know this site is geared towards fly fishing, and most of you all on here frown on spin fishing. I would rather catch more fish. Thats just me. I don't keep alot of trout, and neither do the guys that fish with me, even when we catch them on corn. So don't think all people that use corn are just stocking their freezer.

BuckeyeRick
04-07-2008, 10:45 AM
Personally, I have become a FFer because I like the challenge of the cast and hunting the fish. Maybe I shouldn't reveal the fact that I used to be a spin fisherman and, please forgive me, I have actually used bait. I am lucky enough to get to fish an unfished reserve each year, but I also have as much fun sitting on the bank of the Ohio with a couple of my nonFFing friends, sipping a brew and catching whatever. We pick up before we leave.

I also hate fisherfolks who trash their area and load up on undersize fish, but they are the minority. I have certainly seen those pure-of-heart FFers carry Steelies to their truck and then start harvesting again. I have seen FFers leave curled up leaders behind, toss their beer bottles anywhere, and generally act like the horrible spin fishers described in other posts.

Just because we carry the long stick doesn't make us special. Sorry, I just get sick and tired of humans who have to put other people down in order to build themselves up.

sprestwood
04-07-2008, 10:39 PM
When the bait caster was invented it added to fishing. I don't think there was any threat made to the fly rod. The bait caster made deep water and heavy fish a little more accessible. I don’t see many fishing reports of a catfish on a fly, but I often scheme on how to land a few pound catfish on a fly rod. Catfishing is pretty much given to a bait caster. Teaching a kid to angle with a fly rod is a huge learning curve, pushing the button on the Zebco is defiantly a lot easier for the kids in my family.

The diversity of fly lines has given fly fishers many options, sinking lines are new in the history of fly fishing and opened up more of the water column to the fly fisher. At one point the only line available was waxed silk, and when it finally soaked up moisture it was too temperamental to use. It’s difficult to stop and think about the weaknesses and limits of the fly rod because there is enough entomology and streams to fill what little free time that’s available.

I have used an old fly rod to present bait because allowing the bait to sink at its natural rate seems to be what is needed to pull some fish out or the water. All fish feed on bugs when they are small, but the trout are unique in that they continue to feed on bugs strongly while putting on size. Every fish has their species specific feeding patterns and more or less strategies are given more to one type of reel. Even though trout fishing has been given to a strong visual presentation of the fly, it should be known that they will follow a scent trail.

And by-the-way, I do refer to myself as a bilingual fisherman just because I respect the many ways to do some catching.