PDA

View Full Version : Fishing Wooly Buggers

Flyfishjeep
04-05-2008, 10:04 PM
Milligan brought the same question that I was pondering in the previous post.

How do most of you guys fish a wooley bugger? My assumption would be to strip it slowly or in small eratic jerks in slower water, and then let it free float in faster water.

I have tied a few in the tying classes at LRO, but I never tried any of them yet.

Thanks for the help.
Ben

bcunnin1
04-06-2008, 11:23 AM
I have used them on Clinch with some success by getting above a run and casting at an angle to the run stripping it back through towards me a little then letting it drift until its straight below me and stripping it back up the run to me. Do not know if thats right but its worked so hope it helps. Ben.

stuart
04-06-2008, 03:10 PM
I just usually throw up or across and let it kinda bump the bottom. I strip just enough to keep the line tight.

STU

ttas67
04-06-2008, 03:37 PM
I fish them as ben stated. cast slightly down and across, strip it the whole way back. experiment with the speed/frequency of the strip until you catch a fish. I've found that a wooly bugger will almost always catch fish, and nice ones too! when they hit it, you'll know, cause it'll about jerk the rod out of your hand.

I caught 4 bows in an hour yesterday on the clinch fishing this way. all were 12-14"....

gzollinger
04-06-2008, 06:23 PM
It depends a lot of the water I am fishing. In most Tailwater situations, I cast it upstream a bit. Not quite a quarter. Let the current put a bow in my line, and then strip it back in about 8-10 inch strips with a jerk on my rod upstream. The goal I have in my mind it to try to get the fly moving across current like he is going from one bank straight to the other.

tire guy
04-06-2008, 06:28 PM
Here is a link that helped me :
http://www.flyline.com/tips_trivia/streamer_strategies/
They make sense out of fishing streamers to me I hope it helps.

monktrout
04-06-2008, 10:13 PM
tire guy, Thanks for the link. Some new ideas on streamer fishing. Hope others will take a look. I might be swinging buggers Tuesday on the Clinch if my luck holds out. Thinking about Hy 61 section around 10:00am. Ever try a chartreuse bugger on the Clinch? Some claim it can get noticed. Monk

FFM4LIFE
04-07-2008, 08:01 AM
ttas67,
Where were you fishing at when you caught those fish? I fished the clinch Saturday and it was very slow.

Thanks

Jeremy

highpockets
04-07-2008, 10:27 AM
Wow, what an article! I love people who can write like that. No fluff just pure facts.

I commonly use a streamer-like imitator with success. I usually don't tell anybody but the person i'm fishing with because people usually don't believe that I fish with that "thing". One of my favorites is a rainbow trout streamer tied for me by a Colorado Fishing Guide I swap traditional archery gear with. It has a large Epoxy head and eyes with deer hair and silver/blue tinsel flowing back from the head. It's on about a size 12 hook I think. work it just like you would think a tiny trout would act when caught in open water!

ttas67
04-07-2008, 11:58 AM
FFM4LIFE --- Miller's Island. The fishing was extremely slow. I fished for a long while with various midges, etc... and never even had a strike. there were scuds in the water, but I didn't have any imitations. finally tied on the wooly bugger toward the end and started catching fish.

PeteCz
04-07-2008, 12:41 PM
Take a look at this link from that same site. Some very interesting perspectives:
http://www.flyline.com/tips_trivia/myths_legends_lies/

highpockets
04-07-2008, 05:02 PM
what size were the scuds?