PDA

View Full Version : Tough day in the park

tennswede
04-06-2008, 08:30 PM
Water was on the high side at Elkmont this PM. decided to try a back up which I go to when I encounter high water. I rigged up and though the stream was awful slow. Sure enough, I was fishing behind someone. Oh well, I went to my third option. West Prong of Little Pigeon. I decided to go way down to the park boundary below park headquarters. The river was on the high side even this low. I was able to fish at a few runs and caught three small rainbows. I took the water temp and it was about 53 degrees. A beautiful day but not very productive. It looked like all the park was overrun with visitors today. I think everybody was ready for a sunny day in the park.

jwebb541
04-06-2008, 08:56 PM
http://i299.photobucket.com/albums/mm293/jwebb541/DSCF0064.jpgI did decent at Elkmont this evening. Hiked up with the wife quite a ways before I started. The water was high but clear. Ended up catching 12 to 15 in around an hour. Missed quite a few as well.

Barbara
04-06-2008, 10:35 PM
Were you fishing a bead head nymph? Looks like it in the picture. I fished above Tremont this afternoon. Got 4 rainbow, 1 on dry fly and rest on the dropper nymph. There were lots of bugs coming off the water but only twice did I see trout feed top water.

jwebb541
04-06-2008, 11:27 PM
bead head prince along with a march brown wet fly. Saw action on both

AKSkim
04-07-2008, 09:55 AM
I believe that I once read on this board when all the streams are up and running that Abrams Creek is the stream to hit. I also read because it clears much faster than the rest.

Is this true?

.... remember on my intro I said I was just buttering you up to get some of your sweet spot locations out of you? Well....

As always, more than willing to learn.

AK Skim

David Knapp
04-07-2008, 10:18 AM
Abrams usually fishes well for me when the water is up, particularly in the summer, but you have to remember that it is a dangerous stream. When the water is up, it really helps to know the section that you are fishing so you know where it is safe to wade...

Barbara
04-07-2008, 09:14 PM
I fished below Metcalf Bottom today and was surprised that the water flow was still strong and the temp was just 50 degrees. This was about noon. I was planning on going to Elkmont but decided to go back lower hoping the water temp would be better.

Did anybody fish Elkmont today? I want to go up Little River trail tomorrow but don't know if the water will be too high and too cold??