PDA

View Full Version : SOHO and Watauga

ACinEastTN
04-07-2008, 10:16 AM
Spent yesterday morning/early afternoon on SOHO. The fish were finally taking dry flies regular! I have almost went nymph crazy this winter. I caught all my fish on size 18 and 20 sulphurs fish in a double dry rig. As for the late evening on Watauga, I still can't get the fish there to take a dry consistently. There were bugs everywhere and I do see fish rise, some very large fish actually, but it is still better fishing with nymphs. It is amazing how different the sizes of the sulpurs are on these two rivers right now. Like I said, I was fishing very small patterns on SOHO. On Watauga you see these specimen sulphurs flying around anywhere from 10-14. There are lots of fish from the hatchery in Watauga right now. I have a spot where I have been chasing this monster brown all winter. Still haven't gotten him landed. Hooked him once but my tippet was too light. Anyway, that spot has been taken over by about 40 rainbows right off the truck. I can't get them to bite anything either. I am working on a new dog food pattern for them this week though.

Realtyman
04-07-2008, 11:10 AM
My best dog food pattern is a PT in sice 10 or 12.

I was basically scouting this weekend and fished the Watauga Sun morning below Little Wil. Small black fly and some midges up until about 10:30. I would love to float this river and I will be back later on.

Scouted the So Ho for the first time Sun afternoon. The water was stained downstream from all the rain. So everybody was fishing the weir. I did not bring my own rock so I did not get to fish much.

This was only a scouting trip for me to get familiar with the access points and to find somewhere to stay overnight. Not much fishing for me on this trip.

That sure is some beautiful country up that way:biggrin:

ACinEastTN
04-07-2008, 12:39 PM
I don't know why those people were so crowded around the weir. There is a trail that will take you down stream a good ways to some great water. That stained water was coming from the feeder creek that enter there at the bridge. It only mucked up one side though.

kylemc
04-08-2008, 02:21 PM
There were plenty of people down the trail too!

milligan trout degree
04-08-2008, 03:23 PM
I fished the watauga on sunday too, downstream of hunter bridge. I hardly saw any bugs, and only a couple rises all day. Nymph fishing was great though. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to get to the SOHO in the last two weeks. Hopefully soon though.

ACinEastTN
04-09-2008, 09:02 AM
I have been to Watauga the past two and a half days. Monday there were so many bugs coming off I couldn't tell what they were eating. The water was boiling from all the risers. I fished behind Sycamore Shoals yesterday with no luck. I know I have said this before, but we need to fish and share some info. some time. I will be out of town this weekend, but can go any day after work this week that you might have off. My email is christian_aaron@hotmail.com (the space is an underscore _). Let me know and I will sneak out early so I don't hold you up.