PDA

View Full Version : Fly fishing the Clinch River above the Weir

Brook Fan
04-09-2008, 08:23 PM
I have seen guys fly fishing above the weir on the Clinch, and I have read a few post about guys having success. I fish the Clinch alot and have fished just below the weir but how do you fish the water above the weir with a fly instead of a streamer or wolly. I didn't see any rapids, ripples, or good spots where fish would hide waiting for bugs.

Do you just wade out and cast and let the fly drift around then cast out again? Or is there something I should be looking for?

I know there is fish up there from the numbers the spin casters catch but is this streamer country only for a fly guy?

tire guy
04-09-2008, 09:29 PM
If you walk the trail above the water and look for ledges you may discover some pools. The pools on the far side usually have a little more current to work with and can be deeper than you think. I try my first nymph about 3' deep and then drop something off of that. Also consider 7x and small bugs. Drift is everything. No promises on success but this is a good way to start.

asummitt
04-09-2008, 11:09 PM
I've never fished that area myself, but a buddy of mine does and he uses zebra midges and a strike indicator. I've never tried this myself though.

milligan trout degree
04-09-2008, 11:25 PM
I've fished it once, but I've fished similar water on the s. holston a lot. My best luck has always come fishing zebra midges, unweighted midges, or small nymphs on light tippet under an indicator. Finding fish could be difficult because you can't always see the structure they should be around. The easiest way is to cast to rising fish or spot fishing.

Grumpy
04-10-2008, 08:11 AM
Do you just wade out and cast and let the fly drift around then cast out again? Or is there something I should be looking for?

Patience:biggrin:

Grumpy

Flat Fly n
04-11-2008, 06:55 AM
You can always strip wooly buggers or zonker imatations. I prefer what is called technically vertical dead drifting. Learn to read the underwater structure and fish as I tell beginners the darker water. Cast in between the leadges. There are really no mayflys up there so midges, sowbugs, scuds, and little red rock worms are the mainstay.

PS. Limit your false casting drastically.

monktrout
04-11-2008, 01:43 PM
Brook Fan, I have fished that area a few times over the years. I've picked up a couple of ideas from better fishermen than me. Long leaders, 6x or 7x floro, tie your fly with a loop, vary your retrieve, mostly dead drifting however, sometimes they like a little twitch, sometimes a little red is interesting to them. Grey midges, small green buggers, and zebra midges seem to get noticed. Good advice from others who have posted on this.

If you can feel comfortable fishing in this area it will give you a good place to fish when Hy 61, the weir, and Millers Island are packed. It can fish well in late fall and winter. I consider 2 or 3 fish in the winter good fishing. Your standards may be higher. It does fish a lot like the South Holston area below the weir/grate. Good Fishin' Monktrout