PDA

View Full Version : A quick introduction

jpavoncello
04-09-2008, 08:58 PM
Hi all,
Just wanted to introduce myself. I'll be making my eighth trip in seven years to the Smoky's this weekend. I'm from southcentral PA, near the famed Yellow Breeches and LeTort Springs Run. Though I don't get to the Smoky's as much as I'd like, I thought it would be nice to be part of the forum to keep in touch with what's going on in the Park and surrounding area.
If you're ever up in my neck of the woods, be sure to drop me a line and I'll show you fishing on some of PA's lime and free stone streams.

John

Byron Begley
04-09-2008, 09:29 PM
Hi John,

Welcome to the board. Glad to have you here. I have been fishing in Cumberland Co. Pa since the early 80's. I love to stay at Allenberry and visit the fly shop in Boiling Springs. You live in a nice part of the world. So do I.

Byron

jpavoncello
04-09-2008, 09:32 PM
I'd trade you in a heart beat. I guess after living here all my life, I'm bored with PA, but boy do I love the Smoky's.
I keep threating my wife that I'm moving south after the kids graduate, she thinks I'm kidding.
See you in a couple of days.
John

nvr2L8
04-09-2008, 09:44 PM
John,

Glad to hear you enjoy our great mountains. It's paradise living close to them, believe me - most folks here realize what a treasure we have in our back yards but it's always nice to hear it again from a visitor.

How soon do the trout kick up in your neighborhood?

jpavoncello
04-10-2008, 03:28 PM
Trout season started March 29 here in PA. I understand the fishing has been good for the guys that like to fling bait and hardware. Supposedly someone caught a possible state record golden trout (palomino) that was stocked just a few days before.
I don't fish any of the stocked streams until June, I like to fish for wild trout. Hasn't been stellar up here yet, but within the next week or two, the hatches should start becoming regular.
John

JimmyC
04-10-2008, 05:14 PM
Nice to meet ya! You sure live in a pretty are of our country. I drool over some of those limestone streams ya'll have, but I've only seen them in pictures. Have a fun and safe trip!

monktrout
04-10-2008, 10:06 PM
John, Has anyone besides Fox and Marino ever caught a fish on the Letort?

David Knapp
04-10-2008, 11:02 PM
Welcome to the board!

jpavoncello
04-11-2008, 08:38 AM

Well, I can tell you that I've only fished there three times and I haven't had so much as a rise. It's a really tough stream to fish.
That is one of my goals for this year, I want a Letort Brown!

AKSkim
04-11-2008, 12:17 PM

monktrout:

You got me laughing on that quote....

How true.. how true...

I fished it this past Sunday morning briefly. Thats about all the time I needed to become HUMBLED again.

Letort Spring Creek.. a lesson in humility!

monktrout
04-12-2008, 10:02 PM
AKSkim, I fished the Letort twice about four years ago. It is certainly a creek of dark mystery. If you can pull trout from the Letort you can teach Buster how to fish. Penn. was full of challenging streams. Hope to get back some day. Sure knots, Monktrout