PDA

View Full Version : need advice for fishing with spinning rod and reel

easttnsalmon
04-10-2008, 06:40 PM
can someone give me some advice about what type of spinning reel and rod to get. Is there such a thing as using a fly fishing rod with spinning reel? I would like to get back fishing the little river and the smokies. I have a couple of fly rods, but I like the ease of the spinner using a mepps rooster tail. Thanks.

nvr2L8
04-10-2008, 07:25 PM
While I have laid my spinning rig aside, I'll tell you that what I enjoyed most in the Smokies for years was an ultra light reel and short, ultra-light rod (5 1/2'). I used either 1/16 or 1/24 oz rooster tails, mostly black for lures. Caught many trout with this rig over the years.

Rog 1
04-11-2008, 08:38 AM
I have used an ultra light spinning reel on a fly rod many a time....rather than a spinner I would use a "trout magnet", nymph or wooly bugger below a split shot and high stick them through the runs and pools.... cast across and up the runs and let the current move your presentation...

Kytroutbum
04-15-2008, 09:41 PM
I ditto the advise above. My buddies and I experimented with all sort of rigs as kids. I have used a flyrod with spincast and spinning reel very successfully. I "dapped" bait into holes and high sticked spinners on small streams in Michigan.
I would suggest trying the smallest black panther martin in the park. I make a homemade one with a single barbless "Octopus or Mosquito" hook for my wife and she is extremely successful with it where ever she fishes trout.
Randall Sale
Kytroutbum