PDA

View Full Version : Tippet sizes

milligan trout degree
04-11-2008, 12:48 PM
I was just wondering what you guys go to as a standard tippet size when fishing tailwaters. I've almost always went to 6x tippet. Usually this is because I'm fishing small midges or small nymphs and dries, 18 and 20. I get a lot fish this way, and break off a lot too. Lately, I've been fishing 5x flouro, and still have have about the same luck. I'm guessing, I could probably get a way fishing 4x tippet as well, especially when throwing bigger flies. When fishing streamers, obviously I bump it up considerably and don't worry as much about leader shyness.

Just curious as to what you guys feel most comfortable about out on the tailwaters, in general fishing circumstances. I realize particular situations call for different sizes, but as a general starting point.

Ben

EarlOfSoDak
04-11-2008, 02:03 PM
Generally...
I use 6x fluorocarbon for 16-24 flies, 5x for 14-12. Small buggers 3x. Occasionally when fishing on top, in slow water, or selective fish feeding on small midges & bwo's I'll use 7x. In conclusion, when fishing below a dam, I use 6x 90% of the time. If you're having trouble with breaking off fish, try bigger tippet until you are magical and no longer do it. Also, fluorocarbon does not cinch up as tightly as nylon. A standard thing I do is add 1 wrap to each knot I tie using fluorocarbon.
Jamie

Waterborn
04-11-2008, 05:14 PM
I use 6x 'carbon for nymph and nylon for dry... though I like using 7x nylon for the really small stuff because of maybe a little less stiff in the presentation, maybe just in my head...

Brook Fan
04-11-2008, 08:44 PM
I use 5X and 6x in the tail waters.