PDA

View Full Version : Second Best/Good Enough

nvr2L8
04-11-2008, 07:31 PM
Well, my plan for today was to get with Pete and go to the WPLP. I ended up having to take care of some stuff at home and didn't get finished with that until about 10:00 a.m. WPLP takes a little more time than that so I "settled" for Lynn Camp.

Passed a couple of other fly fisherman on the way up the trail that turned out to be the only others I saw on Lynn Camp. Interesting that the sun was out up until the last half hour or so; my wife was in something of a panic with tornado warnings all over but the Smokies were perfect.

Within 10 minutes of starting to fish, I hooked my first rainbow for the day. Pretty little thing. Not far into the trip, I experienced the ultimate insult from the rhodobeasts. I was fishing a pool that I was positive would produce trout. After several casts without the first nibble, I got my PA hooked on an overhanging RB and after some tugging, ended up breaking the tippet at the fly. As luck would have it, the PA dropped into the water and drifted a few feet through the pool when a trout hit the surface and took the fly home with him.

In all I caught 13, four of which would have been keepers - all on a standard #14 PA. The best fish I hooked all day was at least ten inches and it shook off at my feet as I was pulling him in. Likely story I know - obviously there's no photo evidence but I swear it was a beauty.

If you get a chance to go up the Middle Prong trail within the next few days, the wildflowers are blooming like crazy. There was a little knoll just past the old Cadillac (close to 2 miles up the trail) that was just covered with little lavender flowers. Mixed in were some beautiful white trillium with a black center and what looked like an orange wild orchad of sorts. It's worth the walk up just for the wildflower display but take your rod; you won't be disappointed on either count.

Still have a hankering to hit WPLP but for today, second best was good enough. Hang in there, Pete, we'll make it yet.

ijsouth
04-11-2008, 09:11 PM
Within 10 minutes of starting to fish, I hooked my first rainbow for the day. Pretty little thing. Not far into the trip, I experienced the ultimate insult from the rhodobeasts. I was fishing a pool that I was positive would produce trout. After several casts without the first nibble, I got my PA hooked on an overhanging RB and after some tugging, ended up breaking the tippet at the fly. As luck would have it, the PA dropped into the water and drifted a few feet through the pool when a trout hit the surface and took the fly home with him.

If I can recall my 9th grade mythology, I believe the story of Tantalus comes to mind. I would at least ask the fish to compensate for the cost of the fly....

nvr2L8
04-11-2008, 09:51 PM
Don't recall Tantalus but the trout never came back to debate the issue.

ijsouth
04-11-2008, 10:26 PM
Tantalus was a son of Zeus who engaged in a number of heinous acts, including killing and cooking his own son. The gods punished him in this way:

'Tantalus' punishment, now proverbial for temptation without satisfaction ("tantalising"), was to stand in a pool of water beneath a fruit tree with low branches. Whenever he reached for the fruit, the branches raised his intended meal from his grasp. Whenever he bent down to get a drink, the water receded before he could get any. Over his head towers a threatening stone, like that of Sisyphus.'

...from the Wikipedia article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tantalus

In all honesty, I've never heard of anything like this...it's funny or tragic, depending on your viewpoint.

nvr2L8
04-11-2008, 10:39 PM
In all honesty, I've never heard of anything like this...it's funny or tragic, depending on your viewpoint.

Tantalus or my lost PA?

ijsouth
04-11-2008, 10:52 PM
Oh, definitely the lost PA...the story of Tantalus is, quite frankly, a bit disgusting - the Greeks certainly had a vivid imagination.

We hope to make it back up there next weekend...I wouldn't mind hitting Lynn Camp again - as many times as possible before they close it.

PeteCz
04-12-2008, 12:18 AM
Charlie, I'm glad you had a great trip. I unfortunately, have been stuck on conf calls with people from India and Colombia and have only been out fishing for two hours in the pouring rain over the last three weeks.

I can sympathize on the lost PA story. A few years back I was having a hard time getting any fish interested in anything I was tossing on the HI, when I decided to try a #20 griffith's gnat. As I was standing in the stream trying to thread the fly, I fumbled it and dropped it into the water. Before I could grab it, it washed away from me and I watched it float downstream about 20 yards before it got hammered by a nice size rainbow. Of course when I tied on the same fly and started casting it, I couldn't find a fish anywhere interested in taking one (with a string attached...). Its amazing what a drag free presentation will do for you. I was half tempted to start throwing flies out of my box and into the water, just to see what other flies might work, as well...

Steve was out above Metcalf Bottoms this morning but didn't have anywhere near as much luck as you did...

PeteCz
04-13-2008, 12:33 AM
After what has seemed like an eternity, I finally got out and did a bit of fishing this afternoon after taking a conf call from a parking lot in Townsend...all this working is killing me...it is afterall Saturday:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iSLirtLyoeQ

Went up to Road Prong and fished above the 4th bridge for about 2 hours and managed to bring 10 Brookies to hand with a few more LDRs as well. I started with a #14 Yellow Stimi and managed a few, but had much better luck with a #14 Royal Trude. I tried a number of other flies in grey and yellow (PAs, Humpys, EHC) but with no luck. There were a lot of bugs hatching. I have no idea what they were. They were a rusty color with a split tail that looked like it was almost 2 inches long. The fish were not taking them off the top, but they still were interested in the dries I was chucking...

There were two brookies nearly 8", a few more around 6" and the rest were 4" and smaller. It was a bit windy but the sky was beautiful and all in all it was a great day to be out...And it's only going to keep getting better...

nvr2L8
04-13-2008, 08:41 AM
Now I"M envious! Good to know that the fish are hitting that high up now. It has been a question that has kept me from taking the time to go up that far. No excuses now.

Not familiar with a Royal Trude. What kind of little beastie is it?

BTW, Pete, I've come down from Middle Prong after being paged and made a $900K software purchase on the side of the road in Townsend. Not a bad place to do business when you can hang up the phone and be back on the water in 10 minutes.

PeteCz
04-13-2008, 09:35 AM
Charlie, I had been looking at patterns to tie for a planned trip to Colorado upcoming in August. Trudes are very effective Cutthroat patterns and I have had success with them out there, before. But I had never tied any and I had never used them here before. From the Spring Fly Swap II I received two different kinds. Trouttater tied up some Yellow Trudes and TroutDude sent me two Royal Trudes, so I decided that someone must use them here in the Smokies. I tied up a few more and tried them yesterday. I didn't get any action on the Yellow Trudes (I'm sure I will in the summer) and I got some refusals on the Lime Trudes I tied, but The Royal's were the trick with the Brookies, yesterday. Like anything else, what worked yesterday may not work again. The action was still not great up high, but it seems to keep improving with the weather.

Basically, to me a Trude looks like a cross between a Wulff and a Stimulator.
http://littleriveroutfitters.com/store/product.php?productid=17492&cat=0&page=1

I think that they'll be more effective on Brookies than Rainbows and Browns. I have no basis for that, just a hunch. I'm going to keep tying them and will give you a few to try out next time we go out...

How does your Friday look?

ijsouth
04-13-2008, 01:08 PM
Thanks for the report on Road Prong; that's daughter #1's favorite stream, and we're heading up next weekend - we were wondering how it was fishing. You mentioned the 4th bridge - how far up is that? So far, we've only fished the section immediately above the 3rd crossing.

PeteCz
04-13-2008, 02:51 PM
IJ, shoot me an email and I'll give you some more details. PeteCz at charter dot net. I've fished RP a lot over the last year or so and can answer any questions you have.

ijsouth
04-13-2008, 03:13 PM
Mail on the way.