PDA

View Full Version : Nantahala report please?

sworp
04-12-2008, 11:56 AM
Hi,
I'd like to see if anyone has fished the Nan lately and could give me a fishing report. I've been there a few times before but not yet this year. Going in a week.
Thanks -
Bill A.

AKSkim
04-12-2008, 05:07 PM
Hi,
I'd like to see if anyone has fished the Nan lately and could give me a fishing report. I've been there a few times before but not yet this year. Going in a week.
Thanks -
Bill A.

Bill:

If no one responds to your thread, then it is a safe bet no one has fished it lately.

With that being said;

We expect a full report with photographs of your trip.

Stream conditions, Patterns, and hatches observed would be nice also.

Good luck.

AK Skim

Jswitow
04-20-2008, 11:53 PM
I have not fished it lately either. You might check this site; www.turningstonesguideservice.com. This guy fishes and guides on the Nan among others. I think he has a fishing report.
Good guy, have fished with him.
Best,
John

sworp
04-21-2008, 09:21 AM
Well, I just got back. The Nantahala was fishing GREAT!! The water was a little off color on Saturday morning but cleared up in a few hours. The fishing was OK till early evening when it picked up a little. Most of the fish I took I got on Stimulators, size 14 and Prince nymphs, size 16-18. Later in the day, some small white mayflies came off and that's the only thing they would rise to. My last rainbow took a cream midge, size 20.

On Sunday, I started fishing pocket water with a tung-head Prince with a Copper John dropper (copper color), both in the 14-16 range. Right away i got into some nice fish and the bite continued all day. The fishing was outstanding and the Copper John was the key.

Looking back at the end of the day, most of the fish took the Copper John and I had been blessed with my best day on the Nan', catching brookies, browns and 'bows - the "Smoky Mountain Grand Slam" as I've heard it called. You can call it whatever you like, I call it a great day in the mountains.

Thanks for the replies,

Bill Allman