PDA

View Full Version : How do you rig your split shot?

limbsnagger
04-15-2008, 12:12 PM
I've been thinking about the differences between what the current is doing on top of the water and what its doing along the bottom. I've wondered if when deep nymphing does the indicator or dry fly I use to detect those strikes @ the bottom from up top aren't actualy messing up the needed natural appearing drift of the nymph down there? Started doing a little internet research and was thinking about different ways to rig the split shot to get best drift. Found this web site which had excellent illustration of different ways to rig your split shot. Thought you guys might find it interesting. Here's the link: http://hipwader.com/2004/fly-fishing-nymphs-deep. Always looking for ways to become a better nymph fishermen as well as dry & am sure you folks will also have some excellent suggestions as ya'll always do.:smile:

Thanks,
Chad

EarlOfSoDak
04-15-2008, 12:22 PM
If you have some spare time, listen to this:
http://www.askaboutflyfishing.com/speakers/eric/eric.cfm
It is good info. I like this guy's KISS attitude when it comes to fly fishing, it's very refreshing.

BTW-
I gave up on split shot years ago. Hareline puts out a product called "Tungsten Deep Soft Weight." It's not perfect, but it's not too tacky, but is still pliable in cold weather. I put it about 8-12" inches above my lead fly. If possible, I avoid weight and bobbers altogether. Use heavy nymphs and watch and feel my fly line line for takes. It takes some getting used to if your used to indicators, but it pays off (Less gear, less tangles, fewer spooked fish).
Jamie

Rockyraccoon
04-15-2008, 05:25 PM
Tungsten flies rule!

Of course I've always been fond of good ol' twistons as well.

milligan trout degree
04-15-2008, 06:23 PM
[quote=EarlOfSoDak;51354]If you have some spare time, listen to this:
http://www.askaboutflyfishing.com/speakers/eric/eric.cfm
It is good info. I like this guy's KISS attitude when it comes to fly fishing, it's very refreshing.

I've listened to that podcasts myself. Makes a road trip more interesting for sure. If you have itunes on your computer, you can download all the askaboutflyfishing podcasts for free. They are all an hour and a half long and there are a bunch of them. I've listened to the nymphing, carp, appalachain fishing(they focus on abrams, hazel, cataloochee, and the little river). I've also listened to the smallmouth podcasts down by a northeast tn local guide a lot would recognize on the board. (I'm don't to throw his name around without actually knowing him).

Grumpy
04-16-2008, 07:44 AM
I've been using Loon Deep Soft Weight during the warmer temps, it dosen't work to good in the winter:eek:
If i use shot, i'll leave the tag end of the larger tippet(flouro added on) tie an overhand knot in it & put the shot there, if it hangs, i just lose the shot:cool:

Grumpy

limbsnagger
04-17-2008, 09:08 PM
Thanks for all the great info fellas. I'm going to attempt using split shot first. I also, thought those pod cast where pretty cool. I'm sure I'll have them all downloaded into my IPOD to listent to in the car during fishing road trips.

Hope you guys are into fish!

Thanks again,
Chad

Flat Fly n
05-15-2008, 08:42 PM
something a little different though.

When I use weight, my terminal tippet is about 8-10", and I jam the weight into the triple surgeon's knot and then roll it to cigar shape, and then set the weight by placing the lead in the water for about 30 seconds.

Wintertime I keep the weight in my shirt pocket to keep it warm and supple. Helps some until your cold hands hit it.

Fishermansfly
05-15-2008, 09:21 PM
Rocky, couldnt have said it any better!!! Amen brother!:cool:

LMAO,
~Brett

MBWCC
05-15-2008, 10:11 PM
If you use split shot above the first fly you will find that the split shot inevitably slips down the tippet until it rests on the first fly. The solution to keep the split shot in place is to drop an overhand knot into the tippet above the first fly. Simply make the knot at the point where you want the split shot to hold, then crimp the shot onto the tippet just above the knot.

Yes, an overhand knot reduces the strenght of the tippet, but no more so than a wind knot--and we've all landed fish with a wind knot in the tippet.