PDA

View Full Version : Clinch Report 4/18

944s
04-18-2008, 03:42 PM
Started off the morning by using midges for an hour without success. The surface activity really picked up so at about 9:45 so I switched to a sulfur comparidun. First cast was immediate success. 12-14 incher in my hand. In the next hour caught about 12 more all except for 1 were over 12 inches. All rainbows except for about 2 browns. Needless to say my fly was down for the count and the water was about to rise. The fishing could not have been better.

FFM4LIFE
04-18-2008, 04:42 PM
Where were you fishing at?

944s
04-19-2008, 11:31 PM
I was fishing at the Church.
I hope everyone else has a great weekend fishing! Unfortunately I will be studying all day tomorrow and it will be at least a week before I am able to hit the water again. :mad:

Flat Fly n
04-20-2008, 03:27 PM
Do you think you might have had better success fishing a #14-16 pheasant tail instead of the midge? The hatch should be firing up so the grass there is in full swing with sulphur nymphs waiting for their moment in the sun to hatch. I have found mostly E. invaria #14-16 hatches first, then the E. dorthea #16-18 follow. Far larger than the mighty midge.

Try a PTN or an emerger nymph (I use crystal flash for a wingcase) prior to any hatch activity. Maybe that first hour won't be fishless. Those fish are looking for those Big Mac's instead of a french fry to eat.

Good luck

http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee78/tnflyfish/Sulphurs.jpg
http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee78/tnflyfish/DSCN0156.jpg

Stonefly
04-20-2008, 03:46 PM
Man, where'd you come up with that mess of bugs? Looks like a double hand-full. Were all those from one rock?

baker

Flat Fly n
04-20-2008, 07:37 PM
That picture is from about 15 years ago. It was taken on the Clinch, down by the jail, in the hayday of sulphur hatches. It came from 2(two) 14-15' browns that one of my friends decided to keep. Talk about stuffed. When we went to clean them the duns were literally falling out of their mouths.

"pigs get slaughtered"

944s
04-20-2008, 08:49 PM
I appreciate the advice and will definitely start off with the BPT next week. I am fairly new to the Clinch having fished GSNP for years. Thanks again.

Flyrookie
04-21-2008, 08:56 PM
Thanks for sharing the information. I went down by the church a few weeks ago to check it out. I am still trying to learn what to use, where to use it and how to use it. Appreciate the insight, and hope to see you out there sometime.

JohnR
04-22-2008, 04:09 PM
I've fished above the weir dam, but not below it. And I'm not familiar with that part of the Clinch -- so where is the church you're referring to?

Thanks,
JohnR

ajh10567
04-22-2008, 06:58 PM
If you get off interstate 40 on the anderson country exit take a left (instead of a right like you were going to norris dam) on highway 61 (I think that is what its called) and then you will travel for about 5-10 minutes and you will cross a bridge over the clinch. Take the first right and you will pass a soccer field and keep going until you reach the church. Most people go around back, the church allows parking except for wednesday nights. Then you can see some good riffles right next to the parking lot. Those might be a big confusing but I'm sure some else could clear them up.

monktrout
04-22-2008, 09:55 PM
Got on the church section of the Clinch this morning at 10:30. Beautiful day with a reasonable wind. About 11:00 a hatch of sufurs comes off and the fish are taking on top. Got lucky on a couple of nice fish. Lost two very good fish that threw the hooks. I used an orange sulfur flymph and a bhpt. Also tried a variety of odd flies, colors, and dropper rigs. That 11:00 hatch lasted about 45 minutes and lock jaw set in. Very few risers and no tugs underneath. I had to leave at 1:30. About the time the real hatch starts. Oh well . The best time to fish is when you can.

I am vacillating between orange and yellow. The fish take both. Maybe shape and size are what matters in this match up game. I would enjoy hearing others thoughts on the clinch sulfurs

Flat Fly n I appreciate your input. Don't know the Latin, but enjoy the lesson in advanced bugs. Sure Knots, Monk

ttas67
04-23-2008, 12:57 AM
monktrout -- LRO sells a dubbing called "Stalcup's Microfine Dry Fly", and there is a color called "sulphur". or at least I think so, maybe it's not called sulphur at all, But it is a sort of pale, in between orange and yellow. I've found it very effective on the soho and watauga. never tried it on the clinch though. I also typically use a thorax pattern.

monktrout
04-23-2008, 02:55 PM
Trevor, Thanks for the tip on the dubbing. Sure Knots, Monk

Flat Fly n
04-23-2008, 06:55 PM
Superfine in sulphur is about all I have ever used. spins on EASY, and a good color match. Soooooooo much better than natural hair. Synthetic so the individual fibers won't absorb water..
LRO had some last week when I was there.

Want to get funky? Look up a "half and half". I believe Renee Harrop was the first to use these. REAL easy, and gets the fly at it's most helpless stage.

Tie a PTN as you start with 6-7 fibers, tie in some 6x for a rib (don't use wire, you want to cut your weight).. wrap the body from the bend to 1/3 up shank. Tie down the fibers, bend back the fibers, and cut short for legs. Now dub in some superfine heading to the eye, finish off with some dun CDC fibers for a wing, and whip in a head. Sulphur dun trying to crawl out of it's nymphal shuck! I use a TMC 102Y #15 hook. I know, not a standard hook, black, wide gap, and odd size. Not a 16, not a 14, but hey they are trout with really small brains.

Here's a "latin lesson" for you.
http://www.troutnut.com/hatch/11/Mayfly-Ephemerella-invaria-Sulphur

monktrout
04-24-2008, 09:30 PM
Flat Fly N, Thanks for advice on Rene Harrop patterns. I like his materials and his work with cdc. Good fishin', Monk

Flat Fly n
04-27-2008, 03:19 PM
I was below Peach Orchard yesterday around 10 AM and caught fish on a new emerger I have been working on. We then left and went to the church area. There was a small hatch around 1pm. I caught all my fish on nymphs, my son caught most of his on a emerger during the hatch. This was a sample of the insects from ONE clump of grass in the church. Sulphur nymphs obviously, sowbugs, and scuds.
http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee78/tnflyfish/IMGP0271.jpg