PDA

View Full Version : Lexington, KY

Flyfishjeep
04-22-2008, 06:28 PM
Heading up to Lexington KY on the 10th for my cousins wedding. I'm not sure if I'll be able to get away, but if I do...
Does anyone have recommendations for locations to fish from the bank or wade in.
Thanks for the help.
-Ben

Byron Begley
04-22-2008, 07:05 PM
Hi Ben,

Call the Sporting Tradition in Lexington. I grew up near there. The state stocked Boone Creek with trout back in the 60's. I fished there a lot. I think it is mostly private now. There is a Spring Creek in Lexington that I believe has been stocked. There is some good smallmouth fishing around there. They will tell you what is available. Please let me know if they were helpful. Gary Dodd owns the store.

Byron

txbrown
04-22-2008, 07:32 PM
I went to school in Lexington and lived there 25 years. I used to smallie fish in the Elkhorn outside of Frankfort in the Peaks Mill area (about 30 minute drive). Lots of quality fish in that stream years ago.

TroutDude
04-22-2008, 07:41 PM
Depending on how much time you have I'd either head to Elkhorn (around Frankfort) for smallmouth or Red River Gorge for trout. Both are going to be a bit of a haul and may be hard to wade as we've had a ton of rain and are expecting more in the near future.

Like Byron said... check with the Sporting Tradition in Lexington.
(859) 255-8652 or (800) 303-3618

Flyfishjeep
04-22-2008, 10:25 PM
Sounds like sporting tradtions is the place to call. Thanks for the help.

I'll let you know if I get out at all.

Thanks,
Ben

Mark Sizemore
04-23-2008, 10:59 AM
You might stop at Bark Camp Creek on your way through. It is about 10 minutes from the southern most Corbin exit off I-75. Fishing there has been good lately especially the 2nd and 3rd pool.